autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: FLEX 3401 not working right, erratic speed... Please diagnose!

Cool...hopefully the official autogeek "wheeler/dealer" can hook me up with a good deal on new Flex and I can get back to polishing ASAP! Thanks again...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

For everyone reading this into the future, two comments... (not directed at you Joey, I just practice typing for the future)

First - If and when a FLEX tool breaks it's the exception not the rule. These are the Mercedes-Benz of polishers. The if and when a tool breaks it can often be traced back to a non-tool reason. See my next comment.

Second - Talking to Chris Metcalf, he said the MOST common cause for failure of any of the electronic parts inside ANY tool, be it a FLEX, DeWALT, Porter Cable, fill-in-the blank, it's due to using too wimpy of an extension cord. And Chris says from his experience in this industry he sees guys using cheap extension cords with to small of gauge wire all the time.

In fact it is such a problem that FLEX took the proactive step to introduce their own heavy gauge extension cord to,

A: Solve the problem.

B: Educate the public

In fact, I have an article on this... (yeah I know, sometimes even I can't believe I have an article on extension cords)

Sneak Peak! FLEX 50 Foot Heavy Duty Extension Cord - Tool Insurance and Power Efficiency

The problem
    If you use to light of gauge wiring in and extension cord the wire itself hinders the flow of electricity to the tool. This can harm the electrical components inside the tool and cause these components to burn out. The cord itself will get hot due to the impedance of electricity flow. In fact, you should NEVER feel heat or warmth coming from your extension cords when using FLEX tools. If you do this is sign that the cord is too light duty for the tool.

The solution
    A heavy duty extension cord that uses a minimum of 12 AGW wire. The longer the cord the more important it is for the cord to use 12 AGW wire. The FLEX 50' Heavy Duty 12 AGW Extension Cord is the solution FLEX offers all their tool customers to protect their tool investment while providing the correct flow of electricity to the tool.

So when you invest in high quality, high dollar tools, include in your budget some funds for the appropriate heavy gauge extension cord. It will protect your tool investment.

On Autogeek.com

FLEX 50 ft. 12/3 SJTW HD Extension Cord

I have to agree with Mike on this! When I heard Chris Metcalf speak about best practices when working with Flex Polishers at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the power cord was the top problem found, I was a bit skeptical. But after a weekend using proper size cords and feeling the difference in the machines, I couldn't deny the improvements in power tool operation!
    Keep Calm... and Detail On!

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread. Extension cords are something we rarely think about, yet they are very important for the health of our power tools.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Post Thanks / Like

I love that Flex has a cord specifically for these tools. I've always loved the cords in their tools - high quality, easy to manage.

I need to consider these on my next order. It's time to upgrade my extension cords as it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I took it apart and cleaned it, sprayed electronics cleaner on everything and it seemed to help. The speed selector doesn't react super fast, but seems to hold the speed I set it at. I'm thinking it's either the speed selector switch or the trigger itself. If these ever go on sale I may buy a new one, but for now I guess I'll keep on chuggin' along with this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably the electronic module, aka speed selector. I've seen a couple with this problem. If it is, it will be a bit costly, around 90$ for the part alone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12