autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need help on sanding flex 4 3/8 backing plate to 4`` to be able to use with 5`` hybrid pads

Hi everyone
    I`ve been reading and following for few weeks, finally became a member and this is my first post

Need help on sanding flex 4 3/8 backing plate to 4`` to be able to use with 5`` hybrid pads
    Is there anyone who has a sander and can safely do this for me?
    Or can you suggest a store / shop who can do this professionally? I live in Mesa Arizona.

(I didn`t want to get the 4`` replacement backing plate by LC due to reading some people complaining about build quality so i decided to go with the original product instead.)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help on sanding flex 4 3/8 backing plate to 4`` to be able to use with 5`` hybrid pads

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help on sanding flex 4 3/8 backing plate to 4`` to be able to use with 5`` hybrid pads

amazing, thank you very much for light speed response.
    What grade sand paper do you suggest and how fast should it turn via drill?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metinemre View Post
    amazing, thank you very much for light speed response.
    What grade sand paper do you suggest and how fast should it turn via drill?
    I use the LC backing plate w/ the 3401 with absolutely no issues and utilize the 5" Hybrid pads. Best combination I have found and highly recommended. The new LC Force pads are supposed to be the replacement for the Hybrids, but are 5.5" instead of 5" likely to accomidate the new non forced Flex buffer XFE. However, Autogeek should be carrying the Hybrids for awhile.

You said you wanted to sand down the Flex 4 3/8 backing plate so you can use the 5" Hybrid pads. The 5" Hybrid pads will work on either the 4" LC backing plate or the 4 3/8 Flex backing plate. So not sure why you need to sand it down.

Unless you are looking at using 4" pads with it, which is not what your thread started with.

Just looking for clarification.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Velocitybts View Post
    I use the LC backing plate w/ the 3401 with absolutely no issues and utilize the 5" Hybrid pads. Best combination I have found and highly recommended. The new LC Force pads are supposed to be the replacement for the Hybrids, but are 5.5" instead of 5" likely to accomidate the new non forced Flex buffer XFE. However, Autogeek should be carrying the Hybrids for awhile.

You said you wanted to sand down the Flex 4 3/8 backing plate so you can use the 5" Hybrid pads. The 5" Hybrid pads will work on either the 4" LC backing plate or the 4 3/8 Flex backing plate. So not sure why you need to sand it down.

Unless you are looking at using 4" pads with it, which is not what your thread started with.

Just looking for clarification.
    Thanks for he reply. I read a lot of complaints here and there about LC backing plates so i decided to go with the original brand and 4 3/8 backing plate, but then i read people saying it is not a good fit with the hybrid 5inch plates because the velcro at the back being 4inches.

So i sanded it down to 4 1/8 and looks a lot better now.

Tomorrow will be the first time i will use the flex and actually it will be the first time i will ever use a machine to polish wax. So i will do it on a friend`s 2005 BMW I said free detailing and he jumped on it. Fingers crossed lol. Been watching videos for a few weeks now, hope it `ll go well tomorrow.