autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex XC 3401 VRG UPGADE??

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    There was another thread where I mentioned a machine that worked like the drive wheels on a car. That the "engine" (orbit) would continuously run, but depressing the "gas pedal" (downward pressure, or throttle trigger) would engage the "wheels" (pad/rotation) with some sort of fixed gearing mechanism.

I can see it in my head. I should probably get the ol draftsman table out...
    Ahh got it. Pressing the "gas" would make positive engagement. That's a great idea too. Or, at least a positive engagement that's breakable, kinda like a "Detroit Locker" for your rear differential. I'm sure the 4X4 guys know what that is.

Post Thanks / Like

Detroit locker would be direct, no slip ala rotary and 3401
    D/A are open end.
    You guys sound like you want a posi like a Tru Trac ..tap the brake and locks
    Or something like an air or Electric locker ....open and hit button when you need it locked

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    A long throw forced is possible, just will be a heavy beast
    Get yourself a rotary and a Dynabrade 61384
    Makes rotary into a 19mm D/A and also a 19mm forced D/A
    These are heavvvvyyy...but work like a charrrrrrrrmmmmm. They've went up by $50 at least since I got mine. Glad I bought mine before Dynabrade raised their prices.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Detroit locker would be direct, no slip ala rotary and 3401
    D/A are open end.
    You guys sound like you want a posi like a Tru Trac ..tap the brake and locks
    Or something like an air or Electric locker ....open and hit button when you need it locked
    Detroit Lockers do make a positive engagement until they see and excessive amount of torque and then they give, hence the loud clanking noise they make when turning. A Flex 3401 would be like a welded diff, AKA a "spool". 100% positive engagement, period, absolutely no give until your axle breaks.

I don't think you understand the point of the conversation. If you have ever used a Flex 3401 before, you would know that if the pad is not completely flat, it will walk. A long stroke version of a 3401 will walk with even more force. There probably needs some sort of mechanism to "break" so the machine wont fly out of your hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Once I asked my mechanic about air conditioning units, how they work, and he said it is an electro-magnetic lock inside the pulley, that it is always spinning until it locks, transmiting the torque to the unit.
    I wonder if the same principle could be applied to the Flex, but the other way around, always locked but a sensor (maybe a vibration sensor) could trigger the disengagement.
    I hope I'm not saying b.s. here, very interesting thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RPM_BR View Post
    Once I asked my mechanic about air conditioning units, how they work, and he said it is an electro-magnetic lock inside the pulley, that it is always spinning until it locks, transmiting the torque to the unit.
    I wonder if the same principle could be applied to the Flex, but the other way around, always locked but a sensor (maybe a vibration sensor) could trigger the disengagement.
    I hope I'm not saying b.s. here, very interesting thread.
    Yup, the Rupes Nano does that. When the speed control detects an overload, it turns it off. Good ideas here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoususer View Post
    Detroit Lockers do make a positive engagement until they see and excessive amount of torque and then they give, hence the loud clanking noise they make when turning. A Flex 3401 would be like a welded diff, AKA a "spool". 100% positive engagement, period, absolutely no give until your axle breaks.

I don't think you understand the point of the conversation. If you have ever used a Flex 3401 before, you would know that if the pad is not completely flat, it will walk. A long stroke version of a 3401 will walk with even more force. There probably needs some sort of mechanism to "break" so the machine wont fly out of your hands.
    Eureka! Maybe something similar to a hammer drill. The hammer mechanism maintains a positive engagement during regular use. When it overloads, the hammer mechanism maintains rotation, at less than 100% but not close to 0% like the Rupes. The hammer mechanism will prevent walking, but will also prevent complete stalling. Case in point, look real close at the side doors of a late model Porsche Cayenne. It has a concave multi-axis curve (curves left to right and up to down) in the center of the front and rear doors. On a single axis curve, you can easily maneuver the Rupes into the curve. But a multi-axis curve is impossible. I know because i owned a late model Cayenne, which was in a collision, and the body shop left heavy swirls and light sanding marks in that area. Piece of cake with a Flex as long as you're careful to prevent walking, impossible with a Rupes.

Let's do this Flex!

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the flex so I know it tends to walk when not perfectly flat
    I've got the chance to demo the brand new forced flex which isn't even out yet to boot.

Perhaps I didn't understand the analogy completly.
    I thought you guys your talking About wanting something to not completely lock, but something to lock but slip a tad..
    Reason why i stated a torsen/worm gear posi unit like the Detroit/Eaton tru-trac or other units like the wave trac or S trac..

When a locker engages you get 100% lock and sincd you also have oscillation you'll get walk..
    But i guess that isn't completely true as lockers as you mentioned have clank, aka tire scrub around bends(1 tires slightly slower then the other around bend)
    When a torsen/work gear style posi engages you don't get 100% engament and some units you can preload hr bias torque..this is a feature that can be applied to a polisher to becomes forced yet if not take away walk, reduce it to where its not a chore to use..

So what I've trying to say you don't want a Lincoln locker/spool or even a locker that you can manually or electronically trigger on and off

You want something to be forced but also eliminate that tire scrub, so you want a torsen /bias torque style posi tech implemented in a polisher to take care of walk

Examples
    Trail rig articulates across terrain but suspension is limited to reach resulting in a lifted tire
    Liincoln locker,/Detroit locker/spool lifted tire will still spin

Same type of units going aroind bend, it can lock in middle of been then boom fish tail..

Clutch and cone style posi when lifted or going aroind bend..wjen you loose torque engagement it ends up performing like an open end rear

Now bia torque/worm gear/torsen style posi when lifted will still move both tires and around corner while doing it smoothly
    Now a Tru trac with lifted tire will act open until you tap brake to engage, this happens duebto no preload

Better version of tru-trac is S trac, wave trac they have built on preload and would fix that situation with other Tru trac..same with corners

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the flex so I know it tends to walk when not perfectly flat
    I've got the chance to demo the brand new forced flex which isn't even out yet to boot.

Perhaps I didn't understand the analogy completly.
    I thought you guys your talking About wanting something to not completely lock, but something to lock but slip a tad..
    Reason why i stated a torsen/worm gear posi unit like the Detroit/Eaton tru-trac or other units like the wave trac or S trac..

When a locker engages you get 100% lock and sincd you also have oscillation you'll get walk..
    But i guess that isn't completely true as lockers as you mentioned have clank, aka tire scrub around bends(1 tires slightly slower then the other around bend)
    When a torsen/work gear style posi engages you don't get 100% engament and some units you can preload hr bias torque..this is a feature that can be applied to a polisher to becomes forced yet if not take away walk, reduce it to where its not a chore to use..

So what I've trying to say you don't want a Lincoln locker/spool or even a locker that you can manually or electronically trigger on and off

You want something to be forced but also eliminate that tire scrub, so you want a torsen /bias torque style posi tech implemented in a polisher to take care of walk

Examples
    Trail rig articulates across terrain but suspension is limited to reach resulting in a lifted tire
    Liincoln locker,/Detroit locker/spool lifted tire will still spin

Same type of units going aroind bend, it can lock in middle of been then boom fish tail..

Clutch and cone style posi when lifted or going aroind bend..wjen you loose torque engagement it ends up performing like an open end rear

Now bia torque/worm gear/torsen style posi when lifted will still move both tires and around corner while doing it smoothly
    Now a Tru trac with lifted tire will act open until you tap brake to engage, this happens duebto no preload

Better version of tru-trac is S trac, wave trac they have built on preload and would fix that situation with other Tru trac..same with corners

so this new FLEX.. tell me more

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12