autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex xc 3401 (can it replace these 3 polishers)

The 3401 is my main polisher, but I still pull out my PC every once in a while as it's set up for only 3" pads now. Whenever Flex jumps on making a mini-3401 for 2-3" pads, the PC will get retired.
    2005 Honda S2000 | 2008 Acura MDX | 2015 Honda Fit EX

Mike Phillips

Re: Flex xc 3401 (can it replace these 3 polishers)

Quote Originally Posted by asap2stacks View Post

Can it replace all 3 of my current polishers?

Porter cable
    Meg's mt300
    Makita rotary

I'd say "no".

The PC is very handy for all kinds of tasks,

Machine waxing - lighter more compact than the FLEX 3401 which makes it easier to hold with one hand when machine waxing vertical panels. You can hold the FLEX 3401 with one hand and machine wax vertical panels but it requires a lot more muscle than the PC. That's my take and I do use both for machine waxing cars.

Machine sanding - Including car paint, gel-coat boats and aluminum pontoon boats. I cover two of these topics in my boat how-to book.

Machine scrubbing - In the past few weeks I've shown the PC used to machine scrub tires, convertible tops and vinyl hard tops.

I've also shared all the new SUPER THIN foam pads now available for the PC that maximizes its ability for correction work.

5.5" SUPER THIN FOAM PAD OPTIONS for your Dual Action Polisher

As for the rotary, like others said it's the best tool for removing sanding marks or serious paint defects and major oxidation. For major oxidation on gel-coat boats I would machine sand first and then use the rotary buffer to remove the sanding marks versus spending hours and hours of intense grunt labor pushing a rotary against the side of a boat hull that tapers away from you. I cover this in my boat detailing how-to book too...

I've answered the question "Can an orbital polisher be used to remove sanding marks?" for years and the answer is yes but my follow up answer is,

Machine compounding to remove sanding marks using a rotary buffer already takes a long time.... why would I want to use a tool that will make it take longer and be less effective

As for the FLEX 3401?
    After I wrote my FLEX how-to book I instantly started signing it like this,

The FLEX 3401 is a BEAST!

Now FLEX officially calls the FLEX 3401 the Beast and the XFE is now officially called the Finisher.

If you do any type of production detailing, be it for cars, boats or motorhomes - then get a FLEX 3401. It's my tool of choice when I need to,

Power through a detail job

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12