autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the 3401 fine for a beginner?

Hey guys, I just ordered a 3401 from AG's sister site (I hope that's OK) and am wondering what I should look out for when using this thing. Do I have to be a lot more careful when using the 3401 versus a GG6 since is is direct drive? I was going to get a Rupes but got a screaming deal on the Flex, and it's German like my cars so it should feel right at home Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is the 3401 fine for a beginner?

Quote Originally Posted by TheEuronater View Post
    Hey guys, I just ordered a 3401 from AG's sister site (I hope that's OK) and am wondering what I should look out for when using this thing. Do I have to be a lot more careful when using the 3401 versus a GG6 since is is direct drive? I was going to get a Rupes but got a screaming deal on the Flex, and it's German like my cars so it should feel right at home Thanks!
    Yes, the 3401 was my first and only polisher. It has a learning curve, but let it teach you how it should be used.

Most people start with say a PC and then upgrade to the Flex etc. I was not of this mindset. I was going in so I bought the best from the start. Why not? I would end up spending extra if I went the aforementioned route.

I started with the 6.5" pads on the factory plate and found it a little tough to use, as it walks quite a bit. Keep it flat at all times otherwise it will walk on you. Once you get a hang of it you can use it in more ways. For example, for A pillars and thin panels I use the edge of the pad only as instructed by Mike Philips.

I then got the 4" lake country backing plate "adapter" and the 5" Hybrid pads. It changed the way I looked at this polisher. Its much smoother to use, does not walk unless you really tip it and such. Now it was even more easier to do thin panels.

Key is: Keep the pad flat at all times with some pressure(on the head) when using it. I do not exceed speed 5. As always do not stop in one spot for too long. It is a rather powerful machine.

Do not hold the polisher too far out from you, keep it close to you. This way the pad will not walk at all as you have control on it. I remember seeing a video where Mike and Bob from flex demonstrate this as well.

All machines have their pros and cons. Rupes does a few things better than the flex, while the flex does few things better than the Rupes.

You got the flex and you will love it, its a workhorse, will never stall, and will cut through defects in no time.

Edit: Look around for threads that talk about "oiling the felt ring" and such - be proactive rather than reactive and learn as much as you can.

Look for and get the 4" backing plate and 5" hybrid pads. They are a match made in heaven.

Post Thanks / Like

Totally different machine then the gg6.Its a great machine period,but not a machine you can take right out of the box and start polishing.Theres a little bit of a learning curve to get use too.once mastered you can tackle pretty much anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Dump your Benz and get a Lamborghini, that way you can get a Rupes.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmjaygti View Post
    Yes, the 3401 was my first and only polisher. It has a learning curve, but let it teach you how it should be used.

Most people start with say a PC and then upgrade to the Flex etc. I was not of this mindset. I was going in so I bought the best from the start. Why not? I would end up spending extra if I went the aforementioned route.

I started with the 6.5" pads on the factory plate and found it a little tough to use, as it walks quite a bit. Keep it flat at all times otherwise it will walk on you. Once you get a hang of it you can use it in more ways. For example, for A pillars and thin panels I use the edge of the pad only as instructed by Mike Philips.

I then got the 4" lake country backing plate "adapter" and the 5" Hybrid pads. It changed the way I looked at this polisher. Its much smoother to use, does not walk unless you really tip it and such. Now it was even more easier to do thin panels.

Key is: Keep the pad flat at all times with some pressure(on the head) when using it. I do not exceed speed 5. As always do not stop in one spot for too long. It is a rather powerful machine.

Do not hold the polisher too far out from you, keep it close to you. This way the pad will not walk at all as you have control on it. I remember seeing a video where Mike and Bob from flex demonstrate this as well.

All machines have their pros and cons. Rupes does a few things better than the flex, while the flex does few things better than the Rupes.

You got the flex and you will love it, its a workhorse, will never stall, and will cut through defects in no time.

Edit: Look around for threads that talk about "oiling the felt ring" and such - be proactive rather than reactive and learn as much as you can.

Look for and get the 4" backing plate and 5" hybrid pads. They are a match made in heaven.
    FANTASTIC advice, Thanks a lot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Lmao, I have a Touareg (Black), GLI (Red), Audi A4 Avant (Gold). Don't think I'm classy enough for a Benz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Audi owns Lamborghini......

Post Thanks / Like

like anything else, the more your use/practice with the flex you will get use to it and it will teach you to use good technique if you don't keep the pad flat on the paint. still though IMO, everyone should still own at least one traditional PC-style DA (i've said this many times)...

Post Thanks / Like

IMO the learning curve is very easy. I think you made the right choice too. If you are using a GG6 this should be a piece of cake. I still use my 1st DA my PC7424XP and it is now my sealant/wax applicator or minor scratch removal.

The Flex is very easy to use once you get used to it. It can walk or pull from you. When that happens it means you need to change your technique. You will learn quickly if you are familiar with the GG6. What you will really notice, is how easy it can correct on a curved panel....After time, you can use it with 1 hand in some cases (but 2 hands is always best). Once I got the Flex, I have never wanted another DA with the exception of my PC7424 being an addition to my detailing arsenal.

Look into the Lake Country Hybrid Pads...IMO they are the best suited for that DA. But you will love the Flex.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Mike Phillips

I think emmjayqti summed it pretty well...

I started with the 6.5" pads on the factory plate and found it a little tough to use, as it walks quite a bit. Keep it flat at all times otherwise it will walk on you. Once you get a hang of it you can use it in more ways. For example, for A pillars and thin panels I use the edge of the pad only as instructed by Mike Phillips.

Yep.... learn to hold the pad flat to the surface unless you're edging.

Edging in this context means going up on edge and then only using the edge of the pad to machine buff a thin panel.

Be sure to prime the edge of the pad with the product you're buffing with so the edge of the pad is both LUBRICATED and Loaded with ABRASIVES.

I use the Finger Painting Technique for thin panels this way too as it's important to have product on the panel to provide lubrication.

Also, smaller pads dramatically reduce the walking effect which is only characteristic of gear-driven orbital polishers so the LC Backing Plate Adapter and 5" Hybrids are much easier to learn with and then master this tool.

The 6.5" pads however work better for going up on edge for thin panels.

The FLEX 3401 Is a BEAST. Not only is that how I sign my how-to book but FLEX has officially adopted this name for the FLEX 3401.

Post Thanks / Like

Audi owns Lamborghini......

Then get a Ferrari.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast