autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

First impressions of Flex 3401.

Wow! That is the first word that comes to mind. I came from a Torq 10fx. No comparison whatsoever.

First off, I love how there is not a slow start up like the Torq. With the Torq you would select speed and it seemed to take a good couple seconds to get going. With the Flex it's instant. Plus it is much more quiet and less vibration. The overall sound is of quality. The Torq sounds kind of tingy and rattley.

No stalling! I did a maintenance wash on my wife's VW Passat today and then applied a coat of Collinite 845. Absolutely no stalling like the Torq being it's a forced rotation machine. There were areas of her car I clearly remember the Torq stalling. Very annoying for me and time consuming.

I love the feel and comfort of the 3401. I know some threads I read where people were saying you need to not let it control you. I found it to be easier to operate and less cumbersome than the Torq. Love the placement of the speed selector and lock button!

I used the 7" black finishing pad that came with the Meguiars kit. Nice using a larger pad. Laid down a coat of wax in less than 15 minutes and I was taking my time with it. Paint correction must be a breeze with the 3401!

Overall I felt very comfortable, confident, and capable with it. I even one handed it on the roof at all speeds just to test it out. No issues. I have no regrets getting this and am looking forward to more time with it. I had a customer drop off her 2002 SC430 I will be doing up Saturday.

The Flex will save me time and make the job easier! I can already tell that after the first use.

The only minor complaint I have is the included black pad was shedding all over the place. On a white car it was very noticeable.

I will update this thread once I get some more seat time on it. Until then, thanks Autogeek!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First impressions of Flex 3401.

Awesome man! The flex is a beast. Rupes machines have slow start ups too but it's more of a feature than a negative.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idriveblackcars View Post
    Awesome man! The flex is a beast. Rupes machines have slow start ups too but it's more of a feature than a negative.
    The flex has a gradual lead-in to higher seeds too and combined with it's variable trigger makes for a great way to spread product evenly then power into the higher speeds but not so fast as to cause the unit to jump.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

First impressions of Flex 3401.

You used a black finishing pad which is very soft pad. I could control it with my eyes closed. Report back when you use a firmer pad; you'll think differently. Much more control required, especially on vertical panels. I love my 3401, don't get me wrong.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

The Flex 3401 is my Go-to DA period! Glad to see you are digging it! The trigger control is how you can adjust the speed fairly easy. It is a beast! No curved panels will stop this DA. I have dropped it at least 3 to 4 times from my bench and it still keeps on tickin. I do save a tremendous amount of correcting time with it. Good to see another person joining the Flex Force!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear Jeremy!

All the controls are where they should be. Very easy to use. What's better, all the FLEX machines are identical in terms of handling. The controls are all the same.

Gear driven DA power is where it's at. No silliness with pad stall on curves.

While I love my FLEX XFE, I wont ever use it for correcting/compounding. That's better left to the 3401/PE14. IME/IMO the FLEX XFE is a finishing tool.

Here is an article put together by Mike Phillips on lubricating the felt ring on the 3401.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ex-3401-a.html

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

While I am more inclined to my PE14 and Rupes as they super smooth and comfortable, I can't deny I will be bored without my 3401. Any detailers kit is incomplete without a 3401.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll love the Lake Country Interchangeable Backing Plate System just designed for the Flex. There's a thread on here now about it. I highly recommend it to every Flex owner.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by idriveblackcars View Post

The flex is a beast.
    That's how I sign my Flex book.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1976 View Post

Absolutely no stalling

And thus my quote,

"With the FLEX 3401 you can power through any detail job"

When you need to get a car buffed out fast while maintaining high quality, you can do it with the FLEX 3401.

See this thread,

High quality production detailing by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    That's how I sign my Flex book.

And thus my quote,

"With the FLEX 3401 you can power through any detail job"

When you need to get a car buffed out fast while maintaining high quality, you can do it with the FLEX 3401.

See this thread,

High quality production detailing by Mike Phillips

Thanks for all you do for the industry Mike. Your passion clearly shows!

I'm absolutely satisfied with the Flex!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast