autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use the Flex 3401 for Show Car Detailing

Another great book Mike! Packed with high-res pics, step-by-step instructions, product recommendations and best practice techniques and procedures. Love your "Mike's comments" and showing difference between a squirrel and swirl.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzoutiger View Post

Another great book Mike! Packed with high-res pics, step-by-step instructions, product recommendations and best practice techniques and procedures.

Love your "Mike's comments" and showing difference between a squirrel and swirl.

Thank you for the nice comments...

Most of the cars in the book I personally detailed using the Flex 3401. There's a few what I call "Fluff Shots" that Yancy inserts that are just beauty shots of cars he's taken pictures of to add color to a page.

The Squirrel and Swirl article is probably one of the most fun or popular articles I've ever written because it's funny and it's funny because it's true.

This book was very well received at SEMA I'm happy to say... I signed dozens of copies including a copy for John D'Agostino....

Post Thanks / Like

Any chance this will be coming out in an ibook?

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work Mike! The "indoor-no-flash" after shots are just jaw dropping!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Great job on the correction.

Those flame are absolutely INCREDIBLE, props to the painter..
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcate
    Black isn't a color, it's a part time job.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SilverRebel View Post

Any chance this will be coming out in an ibook?
    Best thing to do is just get the paperback version. No time-table for turning it into an ibook.

Quote Originally Posted by davey g-force View Post

Very nice work Mike! The "indoor-no-flash" after shots are just jaw dropping!
    Thank you. I've worked pretty hard on my photography skills over the last 13 years of sharing my work on discussion forums. Besides writing articles on how to detail cars I also write articles on how to take pictures and make them show up in a thread on a forum.

How to photograph and capture swirls in the sun

How-To capture swirls, scratches, etchings and other surface defects with your camera

Let there be light...
    (when inspecting the condition of your car's paint)

Quote Originally Posted by LRC3 View Post

Great job on the correction.
    Thank you. When I was growing up I bought all the books on the market on car detailing and car painting and to be honest I don't ever remember learning anything in the book that actually helped me when I went out to the garage to work on a car. So I try to write in a way that actually helps people.

I also do all my own work. I don't sit back and type about how to detail cars, the cars I use in my how-to books are cars I have personally detailed.

Quote Originally Posted by LRC3 View Post

Those flame are absolutely INCREDIBLE, props to the painter..
    I agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious, when would you use a buffer such as a Makita instead of the Flex 3401?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Richardt929 View Post

Just curious, when would you use a buffer such as a Makita instead of the Flex 3401?

Hi Richard,

I use rotary buffers all the time. It just depends on what I'm trying to do. Over the weekend I buffed out a brand new 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder and for this car I used a simple Porter Cable 7424XP.

This Sunday as a part of my detailing boot camp class I'll be showing people how to,

Block sand by hand
    Wet sand by machine
    Use rotary buffers to remove sanding marks
    Use Flex 3401 to remove swirls left by wool pad on rotary buffer
    Machine apply wax using Porter Cable 7424XP

Here's their training car....

So it's all about using the right tool for the job. I still have my original Makita Rotary Buffer I purchased back in 1987 and used it till the gears wore out. I keep it around now days to show people in my classes how I wore the sand cast aluminum smooth like chrome from buffing out hundreds, possible thousands of cars.

I don't know of anyone else that has a rotary buffer that has wear marks like mine. I'm not saying they don't exist I've just never seen anyone post pictures of a rotary buffer they've used so much they have these types of wear marks.

If a person wants to learn how to use a rotary buffer it's a good idea to learn from someone that has used one.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that rotary has seen some use for sure!

I'm pretty sure Ive seen some photos posted by Joe (Superior Shine) that show a rotary or two with similar external wear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by davey g-force View Post

Wow, that rotary has seen some use for sure!
    I wore this polisher out from buffing out hundreds and even thousands of cars. I fed myself and my family with this Makita rotary buffer.

Right now it's on display in my office. I pass it around in all my classes for my students to see and inspect first hand.

Then I tell them,

"If your going to take a detailing class on how to use a rotary buffer it's a good idea to take a class from someone that's actually used one."

You come to one of my ACR 3-day classes and I'll show you how to make a rotary buffer dance on the paint.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast