autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why XFE7-15 ?

Post Thanks / Like

Why XFE7-15 ?

If one already has a 3401,what would or could be the reason or benefits for getting the XFE machine. I know the 3401 is forced rotation & XFE is not.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why XFE7-15 ?

I don't have any long throw machines and I love my 3401, but I guess the comments I see are that a long throw machine is less tiring to use, because it doesn't want to walk like a forced rotation machine, and doesn't require the pressure of a regular DA to do correction.

Post Thanks / Like

I have both machines and can comment a bit.

In comparison the XFE is in another class in terms of being smooth and easy to handle and offers plenty of power. IMHO, it does not poses the level of outright grunt to power through heavy defects like its brothers. Maybe im just used the 3401/PE14.

Now that I have mine, I am going to set up the XFE for finishing duties and regulate my 3401/PE14 for the heavy cutting steps.

In your case or anyone else with a 3401 on hand, I would not hesitate to pick up an XFE to compliment the 3401. Use the 3401 for heavy compounding and use the XFE for finishing work. Not saying the XFE cant handle defect work, it just does not have the ability like its brothers.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

The answer doesn't get better or more accurate than what the above two replies state.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater25 View Post
    If one already has a 3401,what would or could be the reason or benefits for getting the XFE machine. I know the 3401 is forced rotation & XFE is not.

Great question and one that has come up at least two other times on this forum and my answer is the same.

First people like options. Just walk down the isle of your local grocery store where they disply either chips and snack crakers. Amazing the number of choices we have here in America for carbohydrate snacks.

Or look at the options when it comes to soda pop, Coke, Pepsi, and on and on and on...

So "people" like choices and that's because "people" are different.

Some people hate one type of polisher and love a totally different type of polisher.

For YEARS before this tool was introduced I know first hand after answering thousnads of questions on this forum and the MOL forum and even the Autopia and DW forums that people have been asking FLEX for a free spining orbital polisher and now those requests, not by you but by many others over the years, have had their requests answered.

That's the reason for the XFE7 and the purpose is to offer a completely different mechanical action.

I like the XFE7 and have used it and posted a number of write-ups for this tool.

We also used it a LOT on our TV show and everyone that used it on high dollar cars loved it.

Post Thanks / Like

I second what Mike says! It is a really really smooth operating DA polisher.

If it has one drawback, right now it is only available with a 6" backing plate. Rumor a smaller one is in the works, but that means it can only be used with 6.5" pads.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

The smaller plate will assist in its lack of power or lack of correction ability.

Post Thanks / Like

In my small amount of time with it at SEMA, it didn't lacked power or correction ability, especially against its competitors. I had to keep heading back and forth between the booths just to keep my mind fresh with the others, but it was, by far, smoother and more powerful than the others. This is under a controlled environment, but those were my initial thoughts and the contrast was rather stark. I'm really looking forward to reviews with real world testing to see what others think.
    2005 Honda S2000 | 2008 Acura MDX | 2015 Honda Fit EX

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just bought the Flex XFE7-15 and it is nicely made, smooth, fairly light and works well. It is less fatiguing than my trusty but tired Porter Cable 7424XP which works fine but is hotter and louder. I am an amateur and have never used the Flex 3401 so I can not say how that compares. My only issue is the 6.5 pads are large for my cars. If I had a huge SUV they would be nice but they are big for a smaller car. I ended up using my old Griot’s Garage 3″ more than I wanted. Actually I think that my next machine or Flex adapter is for one with a 5" backing plate. I think that is a sweet spot for mid to small size cars. I also think it isn't the polisher as much as knowledge of what to use, technique, and experience. A professional will get better results with entry level tools than a amateur with the top of the line polisher. The Flex XFE7-15 is top of the line to me but my results are usually limited by my time and technique anyway. i just have one less excuse. haha

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I will end up with one down the road. I don't have a PE 14 either & want one of those as well. I'm hoping when the XCE comes out,AG has a 3 piece kit with them all in it. It would be pricey but they are worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast