autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: DP “Not Your Father’s” SiO2 Paste Wax

This is a review for the new DP “Not Your Father’s” SiO2 Paste Wax (later referred to as “NYF”). It's a ceramic wax from the newly updated DP line. It does not appear to contain any carnauba, but rather polymers / SiO2.

DP Not Your Father's SiO2 Paste Wax

-img_2153-jpg

Price:
    $44.99 regular retail for 8oz

Product Description:
    DP "Not Your Father's" Paste Wax is just that, not your father’s paste wax, it's yours. Made for the next generation of detailers, DP "Not Your Father’s" Paste Wax supplies SiO2 protection which results in a slick, high-gloss shine. DP "Not Your Father's" Paste Wax will last longer than a traditional carnauba wax.

What you can expect:
    •SIO2 PROTECTION! Say hello to hydrophobicity and protection!
    •SHINES! Prepare for shiny, glossy, slick look!
    •MADE TO LAST! Protection and shine will last longer than a typical wax.

Initial Observations:
    Scent – Lemon (I’m bad at this, Meghan correct if I’m wrong).
    Consistency – Medium / hard, like most other PBMG waxes (think Souveran / Midnight Sun / Fuzion).
    Color – Blonde, like the color of the label.
    -img_2154-jpg

Vehicle / Paint Surface Condition:
    Applied to the ol’ 2004 TSX on 03/17/2020. First, stripped previous LSP with coating prep wash. Clayed with BF clay mitt. Polished with a combo of Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover (above waist level) and Megs Scratch-X (below waste level) using LC blue & white polishing pads. After polishing I did a few rounds of WG Perfekt Finish Paint Prep on the horizontal panels (hood, roof, trunk lid) and those surfaces are feeling and sounding squeaky clean. For vertical surfaces (sides, front, back) I applied CarPro Essence Extreme primer with Gloss Pads.

NOTE: The horizontal surfaces are being used for a Ceramic Wax test which includes “NYF” SiO2 Paste Wax. This will be detailed in another thread.
    The vertical panels have “NYF” SiO2 Paste Wax applied over Essence Extreme.

Application:
    As satisfying as a paste wax. I personally love ceramic waxes due to the old school application with modern water behavior and self-cleaning. I grew up using waxes, I enjoy the Sunday afternoon wax-session-nostalgia. But I also am into the self-cleaning and glassy appearance of modern SiO2 products (sprays & ceramic waxes). These waxes bridge the gap for me more-so than the SiO2 sprays (which I also adore but the waxes are my fave). The wipe off is where I really appreciate the ceramic waxes. Once I do an initial wipe of the first panel and get the feel, I know my later wipe offs are fully removing the product. I don’t always feel this way with the SiO2 sprays, where I’m constantly checking angles to ensure I removed uniformly. Since I do a lot of my detailing in my garage at night time, this is an appreciated benefit of ceramic waxes.

It was applied in my garage at about 62 deg F, average western PA humidity (40-50%?).

Directions -
    1. Make sure applying this product on a cool surface and out of direct sunlight.
    2. If necessary, wash, dry, clay and polish your vehicle before applying this product.
    3. Working one section of the car at a time, apply a thin layer of wax to the surface using a polyfoam applicator.
    4. Allow approximately 1 to 3 minutes for wax to flash and haze before buffing away.
    5. Once 1-3 minutes has passed, buff away with a clean microfiber towel.
    6. Continue to do the same thing around the rest of the car.
    *If the wax appears to be 'smeary', it is likely that too much wax was applied. In this case, use a coating a prep spray to remove the wax before applying again.*

Much like all PBMG waxes, rub a foam applicator lightly onto the wax surface. The slight heat from friction will cause the wax to melt onto the applicator. Prime the applicator like this once and after that it should only take a swipe or two per panel to reload. Thin is in. The stuff goes pretty far. Considering the 8oz size of the tin, one of these should last for a long time and probably get 30-40 applications (just my rough guess). I had no issues with smearing that is alluded to in the directions.

Unlike some ceramic waxes, this only takes a few minutes to haze and then can be wiped off. I tested both the 3 minute suggested wait time and also intervals of 5, 10 and 20 minutes. It was easiest to wipe off after 3-5 mins but not difficult after 10-20 mins. Just a bit more resistance the longer the wait time.

Results:
    Very nice gloss! From my initial impression inside my little garage with poor lighting, it’s a mix between candy shell sealant look and SiO2 glassy. It’s not see-through, crisp, glassy like some coatings and SiO2 sprays like High Gloss, or PBL Surface Coating. It has a certain smooth look to it that I would compare to PBL Sealant. There was possible filling noticed during my wax test comparisons (unless the horizontal areas I applied this naturally had less RIDs). Very good slickness, but not Beadmaker or QD slick… more soft-smooth-slick texture. This is similar with most ceramic waxes I have used.

I have no observation yet of water behavior, self-cleaning or dust repellency yet. I’ll add information once observed. The car is still in my garage. There is no cure time listed for this wax so I’m assuming it cures pretty fast, but I always try to stick to 24 hours whenever possible for polymer / SiO2 products. The wax does not claim to include carnauba. I’m not sure whether this attracts less, more or the same as competitors… but I wouldn’t consider ceramic waxes to be super attractive to dust.
    -img_2156-jpg
    -img_2157-jpg
    -img_2155-jpg
    -img_2158-jpg

Final Summary:
    I’m very impressed with the value of this wax. Ceramic waxes aren’t cheap and never have been since Dodo Juice Nano Hybrid and PBL Synergy released theirs in 2015-ish (others may have existed before then but these were the first I was introduced to). Other ceramic waxes I have are also in the boutique, pricey range. The closest comparable ceramic wax in value (that I own) is Mckees Krystal SiO2 Paste Wax ($70 for 8oz), but that’s a $15 price increase. I think “NYF” applies/wipes off slightly easier and hazes quicker. IGL EcoCoat Wax is similar price as “NYF” but it’s is a cleaner wax and doesn’t have great longevity, so I’m not sure yet how “NYF” compares.

This wax does well in all categories one would expect from a ceramic wax, upon initial application. Some of the more expensive waxes have more effortless wipe off, fantastic self-cleaning, great protection/durability/longevity and insane looks. Those are qualities that are paid a premium for. I think a lot of people are not willing to shell out the money to try those products. I admire that this wax should allow a broader audience to experience ceramic waxes and their benefits. We’ll see how time and environment treat this wax, but after initial use I think it’s a winner for the price.

I apologize for the lengthy review, I get excited by these types of products. Thanks for reading!

2. Thanks dennis b, fly07sti, Diner, Hammer77, Jim w thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: DP “Not Your Father’s” SiO2 Paste Wax

Awesome review. I can't wait to give my jar a try.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

You are doing great on the guessing, it is LEMON! Glad you liked the wax, we found it very easy to work with and lasts long!

5. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting your thoughts. I've been waiting to share mine until I do a proper test (so far I've just put it on my daily which is white and not in the best shape so it's hard to really take much away from that).

I'd echo all your thoughts. I split my hood up into 3 sections to do a quick comparison between this product, Pete's 53 (traditional carnauba), and WGDGPS (traditional sealant), though all I did to prep was a quick wipe with UWW+ so I wouldn't be surprised if the adherence of any of the products wasn't optimal. I'd agree that the product was easy to apply and remove, though I did note it had a slight bit more "stick" to it on wipe off and a little less initial slickness than Wolfgang. Not a big deal though. I'm looking forward to seeing the water behaviour once it rains here.

Regarding the smell, I definitely noticed it had a bit of a crayon type smell to it, much like Pete's 53. I'm wondering if this means it has a bit of carnauba in the formulation?

Very interested to see how it fares over Essence, as that is the combo I'm planning to use on my other car once the weather is nicer.

7. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 986DTM View Post
    Thanks for posting your thoughts. I've been waiting to share mine until I do a proper test (so far I've just put it on my daily which is white and not in the best shape so it's hard to really take much away from that).

I'd echo all your thoughts. I split my hood up into 3 sections to do a quick comparison between this product, Pete's 53 (traditional carnauba), and WGDGPS (traditional sealant), though all I did to prep was a quick wipe with UWW+ so I wouldn't be surprised if the adherence of any of the products wasn't optimal. I'd agree that the product was easy to apply and remove, though I did note it had a slight bit more "stick" to it on wipe off and a little less initial slickness than Wolfgang. Not a big deal though. I'm looking forward to seeing the water behaviour once it rains here.

Regarding the smell, I definitely noticed it had a bit of a crayon type smell to it, much like Pete's 53. I'm wondering if this means it has a bit of carnauba in the formulation?

Very interested to see how it fares over Essence, as that is the combo I'm planning to use on my other car once the weather is nicer.
    I would agree that WG DGPS is about as slick as they come as an LSP, this is slick but has the smooth, soft feeling. Not the “fingers slip right off” feel. DGPS is also incredibly easy to remove and probably beats most pastes.

Maybe Meghan can fill us in regarding carnauba, is included??

Post Thanks / Like

If carnauba is included, does it have the distinct carnauba glow? Im not aware of many fully synthetic sealants/coatings that mimic that look.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

The DP “Not Your Father’s” SiO2 Paste Wax was developed to have superior properties to carnauba: higher contact angle which creates stronger beading, stronger chemical/detergent resistance, higher UV absorptivity (a function of the melting point).

So the answer is, no, there is no natural ingredients like carnauba wax within the blend. It’s the synthetic wax with SiO2 resins and polymers

11. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Jim w, Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    The DP “Not Your Father’s” SiO2 Paste Wax was developed to have superior properties to carnauba: higher contact angle which creates stronger beading, stronger chemical/detergent resistance, higher UV absorptivity (a function of the melting point).

So the answer is, no, there is no natural ingredients like carnauba wax within the blend. It’s the synthetic wax with SiO2 resins and polymers
    Thank you Andre for filling in the blanks, we will add this to the copy on the site so it's clear for everyone.

13. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    If carnauba is included, does it have the distinct carnauba glow? Im not aware of many fully synthetic sealants/coatings that mimic that look.
    No, I tried to describe it in the review but it was more a mix between candy coated and sharp glassy. Sort of opposite of the carnauba glow, but an attractive look nonetheless. It looks really nice on the silver. More pics coming when I get the car outside.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review! Looking forward to the updates.

Looks like a great product with an appealing price point.

As much as I still love the Nuba look, I think I’ll be trying this.
    Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast