autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

buying my first electric polisher. need help with supplys

I am a hobbyist who has been reading the forum for a while. I have four cars ( mine a 2010 VW CC my wife's a 1998 Lexus ES300 that only has 60000 miles and body is in great shape and my two kids cars a 2001 Buick regal and a 2004 Toyota corolla). All cars are kept out side - no garage. I wash my wife's and my car every week summer winter soring and fall. Clay bar and wax them twice a year. The kids cars wash and wax when ever their home from school.
    After reading these forums and Mikes book - I want to step it up a notch and get a Polisher. I have decided to get a Cyclo. The main reason for this decision is I am a novice never ever used an electric polisher before and this one appears to be the safest ( don't want to damage anything ). I intend to practice on my kids cars first then move to the wife's car then mine.
    Here is where I need some assistance - I don't know what or how many pads to buy or what wax, compound, polish or sealer to get. The kids cars are in tough shape - the wife's car is black and has swirls, light scratches and some etching from bird poo. The VW just has some light scratches. Don't direction to go buy the polisher ( I think I will go for the Pro) by itself or in one of the packages? any advise how to set my self up would be greatly appreciated! I am also on a bit of a budget so I don't want to go to crazy - at least until I know I can do this and see what results I get - don't want to spend a ton of money and be disappointed with the results - have know problem spending what I have to though.
    thanks !!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: buying my first electric polisher. need help with supplys

Well here goes. I am sure the cyclo is a fine tool but maybe you should reconsider. I don't see tons of threads on cyclo and maybe your best bet is a porter cable package. It is an awesome intro tool and won't damage your paint - at least not anymore than the cyclo. If you have more funds definitely step up to Rupes or Girot but generally you are buying into their systems. I went down the rupes path but now converted to flex lake country hybrid pads and menzerna (in some sense another system, since these work so well together). Also Mike P wrote a book on flex and recommended this "system" for flex. For the three systems there are tons of info on EXACTLY what you need and as an aside the new Boss system looks amazing and maybe exactly what you are looking for. I really want to purchase it but I just went all in with flex so can't do (at this time).

Good luck getting started and please post your final decision and experiences.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: buying my first electric polisher. need help with supplys

Quote Originally Posted by mbpress01 View Post
    I am sure the cyclo is a fine tool but maybe you should reconsider. I don't see tons of threads on cyclo
    I agree. I'm sure the Cyclo is a fine tool too, but you just don't see many people using it or even talking about it. I don't think I've ever read of any professional detailers on AGO using one, other than when Mike Phillips demonstrates it, or teaches others how to use it. Perhaps it's a cost issue vs. less expensive DA's, but when you factor in Rupes, Flex, and now BOSS prices, still very few choose Cyclo.