autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Breaking Cyclo back out

Over the past few years since I started detailing I have bought 5 different polishers.
    My first one was the Cyclo, then the Makita rotary, next was a first generation GG 3 inch, next was G11V2 and finally a Flex 3401.

Over the past few days I was goofing around with the G110V2 and my new bottle of Mothers Machine Glaze, trying different size pads and backing plates in an attempt to keep the backing plate spinning. I would screw around getting the right speed setting, pressure and amount of product on the pad to get the thing to barely spin. I finally put it away so I could get out a polisher that I could just run and be done. The flex was the choice of the day.

I was sitting here reading over the evening's posts and got to thinking back when all I had was the Cyclo and how easy things were. The Cyclo polisher is a lot like the Ronco Rotisserie oven in that you just set it and forget it. Just add polish, put the machine on the paint, turn it on and polish away. No balancing pressure, pad size, speed setting, product amount etc. etc. No fighting the machine or need to keep it at any certain angle to achieve a smooth operation.

I am a person with tremendous tolerance and patience but I can't seem to tolerate operating a PC style machine for anything other than spreading a wax or a sealant. I see the results that others get with a PC style polisher and I wonder how they do it without getting frustrated. I just can't have any fun running one. I think I will order up a dozen or so Genuine Cyclo pads and put the old set it & forget it machine back into the mix of things.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Breaking Cyclo back out

Back when I first stared to look into getting a buffer I was really set into getting a cyclo, then, after some reading here I ended up getting the 3401 and PCXP and I like them a lot! Yes, the 3401 take a littler to keep in control, but so far I have been very happy with it, and the PCXP I just use for waxes and sealers...

But I still want the cyclo, that thing seems cool, eventually I will end up getting one, maybe the new one with the speed control.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Flex 3401 but kind of miss running my Cyclo. For better than a year now I have had carpet scrubbing brushes on my Cyclo and it really makes short work of carpet shampooing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    ...I love my Flex 3401 but kind of miss running my Cyclo...

...I see the results that others get with a PC style polisher and I wonder how they do it without getting frustrated. I just can't have any fun running one...
    I always say, who cares how great a machine is if you don't enjoy using it? If you enjoy the Cyclo, then use it!

That being said... leave a little bit of dough in your pad budget for the Meguiar's D/A Microfiber Discs. They will be available soon, and I think you're the type of guy that is going to think they are sent from the heavens. They are thin, so machine motion transfers through them with ease. The material is the most non-marring of any pad ever made, and they are available in sizes to fit your Cyclo as well as your other machines.

The D/A Microfiber Discs will change the way most guys polish paint. Believe it.

Post Thanks / Like

The big frustration with the DA polishers...has always been with the pads (not the machine). Just about every PC kit shipped these days come with the larger 6.5" pads...which frankly are best suited for applying waxes or sealants because they aren't fun when it comes to serious paint correction on a DA polisher.

The advent of 5.5" flat pads improved the DA polisher's status tremendously, and if what I'm reading about the new Meg's pads are true...the DA polisher may once again become not only a safe and formidable polisher....but it may bring back the FUN factor again.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post

The D/A Microfiber Discs will change the way most guys polish paint. Believe it.

I'll second that Kevin, they really work well for both correction and polishing.

Plus you'll be able to get one for the Flex 3401 too...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post
    I always say, who cares how great a machine is if you don't enjoy using it? If you enjoy the Cyclo, then use it!

That being said... leave a little bit of dough in your pad budget for the Meguiar's D/A Microfiber Discs. They will be available soon, and I think you're the type of guy that is going to think they are sent from the heavens. They are thin, so machine motion transfers through them with ease. The material is the most non-marring of any pad ever made, and they are available in sizes to fit your Cyclo as well as your other machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I'll second that Kevin, they really work well for both correction and polishing.

Plus you'll be able to get one for the Flex 3401 too...

Guys, will these be like Surbufs or something completely different.

Post Thanks / Like

I cant wait for these new pads
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

i like you have a number of polishers. ronco rotissiere for sure. the cyclo is still the smoothest. i use it on big big vehicles still. never fails me. just polished out a long bed truck bed with the flex light weight and it was a revelation. smaller pads and saved probably 1-2 hours on the job. panels seemed almost jeweled after only the polish. the new meg. pads sound like another feather in our quiver.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently had the chance to try out a Cyclo, Detailjon let me do a test section with one at his shop. I have to say, even with it's long proven history, I was surprised with how well the machine performed. Going in to the test section I was doubtful that the "freely spinning" heads would keep rotating under pressure and wouldn't just end up "jiggling" against the paint... Nope, the Cyclo is a beast, a smooooth beast. A pleasure to use and I'll definitely buy one sooner or later.

I'm looking forward to the Meg's DA MF Discs...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast