autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Armed and Dangerous w/ Model 5

I have opportunity to buy Cyclo Model 5 for $30. I'm looking to upgrade from "elbow grease" polishing to a DA polisher primarily to improve and reduce amount of time necessary when polishing my boats black gel coat. I'd also use the model 5 when polishing my stealth grey (blue grey) Sierra Denali.

I planned to buy the Harbor Freight DA this spring until this Cyclo deal came along. The Cyclo I'm considering isn't the variable speed pro model so not sure how critical that feature is for an amateur like myself??? Like I said, I've got a black boat (including hull) so gonna be doing a lot of work on the gel coat lying on my back working overhead so anything that doesn't cause flubs is better than wax on/wax off by hand (I HOPE)!!!

Is this the right tool for my application or is it a great deal for a pro who has an arsenal of choices for whatever customer brings them but not good choice for a twice yearly super shine job?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Armed and Dangerous w/ Model 5

for $30 i would buy it. but keep in mind a pc-style DA will be more maneuverable and have more options to use different backing plate and pads for a variety of tasks...

Post Thanks / Like

I have a cyclo single speed and I like it. For $30 I would get it in a heart beat. It's a beautiful machine. May not have the muscle of a flex but still gets the job done.

There are several 4 inch pad options now a days more so than ever before.

That said the HF da isn't bad either with MF pads or thin pro LC pads it's quite decent. Both would be good or at least start with the cyclo cause it is a nice machine to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm not mistaken, if it doesn't have a speed control, it's not a Model 5, it's just a Cyclo.

If you're primarily going to use it on a boat, I would get it. As Visitor stated, a Cyclo is a little tougher to get into tight spots but you don't have too many of those on a boat.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what I now have:

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

They don't build em like this baby anymore!

http://vid521.photobucket.com/albums...DBDC4A834D.mp4

Any Cyclo owners have recommendations for pads or other accessories needed for lightly oxidized black gel coat on boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StrmChzr View Post
    They don't build em like this baby anymore!

http://vid521.photobucket.com/albums...DBDC4A834D.mp4

Any Cyclo owners have recommendations for pads or other accessories needed for lightly oxidized black gel coat on boat?
    I have no experience with boats but cyclo has a great selection of foam pads and wool pads for that machine . If microfiber is your thing buff n shine makes 4" microfibers that will fit . I'm currently using adams polishes pads and they work well but there newist pads are not an ideal size anymore so I won't be using them going forward . I will likely switch to genuine cyclo pads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, if it doesn't have a speed control, it's not a Model 5, it's just a Cyclo.

If you're primarily going to use it on a boat, I would get it. As Visitor stated, a Cyclo is a little tougher to get into tight spots but you don't have too many of those on a boat.
    Model 5 pro is the one with the speed control . He most certainly can have a model 5