autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Forum Rules Update

Your house, your rules.
    This is by far the best auto detail related forum.
    AutoGeek store and forums do a fantastic job.

Keep this in mind.
    It is the fact that the rules have been relaxed on the specific subject of product discussion, and suggestions to products, at times not offered by AutoGeek that has directly contributed to the growth of this forum, and the growing sales at AutoGeek.
    This is what has brought both professional credibility, and "street cred" to this forum community.

I certainly agree that any overt and pushy discussion of non-AutoGeek products, and posting weblinks to competing vendors or competing forums, is an obvious breaking of not only the written rules, but the spirit of the rules.
    At the same time, it is impossible to not have mention of various lines of products and tools that many patrons here grew up with.
    Whether it be a passing reference, or a direct comparison, AutoGeek is still a new school place, in an old school profession, full of old school auto detailers.

So, I support the idea of enforcing the spirit of the rules, and the letter of the rules when things get out of hand, as there is a time and place for that.
    I would encourage the professional staff here at AutoGeek forums to use discretion and common sense when choosing to be heavy handed with the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vanev View Post
    Your house, your rules.
    This is by far the best auto detail related forum.
    AutoGeek store and forums do a fantastic job.

Keep this in mind.
    It is the fact that the rules have been relaxed on the specific subject of product discussion, and suggestions to products, at times not offered by AutoGeek that has directly contributed to the growth of this forum, and the growing sales at AutoGeek.
    This is what has brought both professional credibility, and "street cred" to this forum community.

I certainly agree that any overt and pushy discussion of non-AutoGeek products, and posting weblinks to competing vendors or competing forums, is an obvious breaking of not only the written rules, but the spirit of the rules.
    At the same time, it is impossible to not have mention of various lines of products and tools that many patrons here grew up with.
    Whether it be a passing reference, or a direct comparison, AutoGeek is still a new school place, in an old school profession, full of old school auto detailers.

So, I support the idea of enforcing the spirit of the rules, and the letter of the rules when things get out of hand, as there is a time and place for that.
    I would encourage the professional staff here at AutoGeek forums to use discretion and common sense when choosing to be heavy handed with the rules.
    You summarized what i've tried to write several times but ended up deleting due to the passive aggressiveness of my writing. The tone used in the announcement was a little strong and aggressive in my opinion. I agree with the spirit of what was trying to be communicated, as well as the spirit of the rules.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AGOatemywallet View Post
    I just hope these Rules don't make their way over to Autopia

I have always enjoyed the openness of Autopia and the freedom to disagree
    They have in a way, Autopia is not what the original Autopia used to be but we can always move on if we don't like the rules. So if you are here just follow the rules. The main goal of a forum like this is to learn how to maintain a swirl free finish so product recommendations are secondary - most products today are very good. It is usually the user that is at fault not the product. Plus there is pm if needed, I don't think that is moderated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AGOatemywallet View Post
    I just hope these Rules don't make their way over to Autopia

I have always enjoyed the openness of Autopia and the freedom to disagree
    Autopia is a much more open forum where you can discuss other products. AG bought this site for that very reason. If a product comes up with a lot of interest, this is how AG finds out about it and will more than likely carry that product.

Your statement about the freedom to disagree is untrue, after all AG is not Red China..read rule number 3.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Autopia is a much more open forum where you can discuss other products.
    I received a PM from their super moderator yesterday that was so disturbing that I actually asked him to ban me for life which i am sure made him very happy. BTW, he made it clear that "autopia" that we all enjoyed is no longer. So there you have it. I guess you can mention brands that they don't sell, but he also made it very clear that he had enough of me talking about OCP. Well what can I do if every detail that I do gets Opti Coated? Anyway, this forum is pretty free, and of course a business, so we just need to respect their rules, after all AG is paying for the forum and not us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdekany View Post
    So there you have it. I guess you can mention brands that they don't sell

That doesn't make any sense. I thought the whole purpose of this was to get people to stop mentioning brands they don't sell.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    That doesn't make any sense. I thought the whole purpose of this was to get people to stop mentioning brands they don't sell.
    I was talking about Autopia not Autogeek

Post Thanks / Like

I learned a lot from AG forum members and Mike Phiilips, and I'd support in the form of product purchases if the shipping was reasonable. But if the content starts getting weak, I have no reason to come back here.

I've been a member of many forums.. almost all have been layed to rest with the creation of Facebook discussion groups. If the rules get too "Nazi", i have a feeling the same will happen here.

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny but several products that PBMG sells now were once banned from being discussed here. Black fire and chemical guys are only two examples of detailers liking those products enough to keep discussing them here. Those very same products are now amazingly acceptable now.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

I am very new to AGO. I can completely understand things like no linking to competitors. I did however find this forum by searching about info on a polisher not sold by AGO. I have since bought a little over $200 in product from here. I know in comparison to some that is a drop in the bucket, but for me and online ordering that is a large sum.
    I do have a question. I see posts where people are showing off their excellent work. They list their steps and products used. Some of these products are not offered by AGO, and some are. Some of the products you have to be an authorized installer to even get them. Is this against the rules, and if so will we have to say something like "Coating : Not offered by AGO"?
    Please understand I'm not complaining, just want to know how strict this is going to be before I post and screw up, and also point out the open product discussion, within reason of course, does bring in more business.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast