autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Canadian Shipping

I'm gonna vent here, worst that can happen is that someone actually gets it...

In the past I ordered a couple of gallons of stuff, to get an email saying that an extra 60$ was to be added over the 50$ I aleady paid for shipping... so right off the bat I learned that shipping to Canada with AG was a pain...

then I reallized that the declared value of the items (what I have to pay taxes on when it crosses the border) is not the price I paid, but the regular price... I paid over 75$ in tax on money I didn't even spend! If an order is 100 on sale, but without the sale would be 150, I have to pay taxes on 150, because they declare the value at 150! the reason I was given for this is because of the insurance... nonsense!

well the last straw for me, on my last order I got the email about my order being overweight... 2* 64 once bottles and a 20once bottle are now considered oversize, a bit over a gallon is almost 80$ to ship.... when I answered back that the price was steep, I was told that I should try to by the stuff locally!

I got 2 gallons of liquids from Texas to Ottawa for 35$ a few months ago with USPS, why would I want to pay more than double for half the weight...

at no moment was anybody lacking respect towards me, but I'm really dissapointed I bought a gift certificate for this order, and now I have to cancel the order because of the outrageaous shipping charges to Canada, it's not like I'm half way around the world!

/end vent

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Canadian Shipping

Quote Originally Posted by octane View Post
    I'm gonna vent here, worst that can happen is that someone actually gets it...

In the past I ordered a couple of gallons of stuff, to get an email saying that an extra 60$ was to be added over the 50$ I aleady paid for shipping... so right off the bat I learned that shipping to Canada with AG was a pain...

then I reallized that the declared value of the items (what I have to pay taxes on when it crosses the border) is not the price I paid, but the regular price... I paid over 75$ in tax on money I didn't even spend! If an order is 100 on sale, but without the sale would be 150, I have to pay taxes on 150, because they declare the value at 150! the reason I was given for this is because of the insurance... nonsense!

well the last straw for me, on my last order I got the email about my order being overweight... 2* 64 once bottles and a 20once bottle are now considered oversize, a bit over a gallon is almost 80$ to ship.... when I answered back that the price was steep, I was told that I should try to by the stuff locally!

I got 2 gallons of liquids from Texas to Ottawa for 35$ a few months ago with USPS, why would I want to pay more than double for half the weight...

at no moment was anybody lacking respect towards me, but I'm really dissapointed I bought a gift certificate for this order, and now I have to cancel the order because of the outrageaous shipping charges to Canada, it's not like I'm half way around the world!

/end vent

Move to the USA or do business with Canadian companies, problem solved.

And insurance, taxes and duties are you problem, send a message to your government.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Anytime you ship anything heavy to Canada it's going to cost both you and us! If you need gallons or anything heavy I would really suggest ordering from Chris at eShine. He is amazing to deal with and you wont have customs fees.

eShine Canada

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Move to the USA or do business with Canadian companies, problem solved.

And insurance, taxes and duties are you problem, send a message to your government.
    Yeah thanks

declaring a higher value on a package so their insurance refunds more if the package is lost IMO is not my problem, but I end up paying for it...

Post Thanks / Like

There is something flawed there. My understanding is that declared value is always supposed to be based on your invoice. Your invoice should show what you actually paid for the items.

I've heard of some US businesses that as a courtesy will sometimes enclose an invoice that's lower than the actual paid amount (shhh... technically they're not supposed to) hoping to save their Canadian customers a bit of money on the back end. But I've never heard of a vendor doing the opposite and actually inflating the value of an invoice resulting in higher declared value and hence higher duties and taxes owed. That's crazy.

I'd be having a chat with AG customer service about that.

(I have a shipment myself on the way right now. I hope they didn't do that to mine as well.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    Anytime you ship anything heavy to Canada it's going to cost both you and us! If you need gallons or anything heavy I would really suggest ordering from Chris at eShine. He is amazing to deal with and you wont have customs fees.

eShine Canada
    well I beg to differ, I buy a lot from the US, and heavy is not a problem, paid 55$ to ship a 48lbs package not long ago with Fedex, including a 7$ customs charge!

eshine... when they actually have stock, and they don't make multiple mistakes on a single order...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
    There is something flawed there. My understanding is that declared value is always supposed to be based on your invoice. Your invoice should show what you actually paid for the items.

I've heard of some US businesses that as a courtesy will sometimes enclose an invoice that's lower than the actual paid amount (shhh... technically they're not supposed to) hoping to save their Canadian customers a bit of money on the back end. But I've never heard of a vendor doing the opposite and actually inflating the value of an invoice resulting in higher declared value and hence higher duties and taxes owed. That's crazy.

I'd be having a chat with AG customer service about that.

(I have a shipment myself on the way right now. I hope they didn't do that to mine as well.)
    I was told it's the way they do it, and always been like that, did you use a 10% rebate code?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    "Declared value" is provided by the seller, not made up by the customs officers (government).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
    "Declared value" is provided by the seller, not made up by the customs officers (government).
    I completely understand that, but taxes and duties are assessed by the government and part of the cost of buying products internationally.

And to falsify customs documents is to say the least illegal and not worth jeopardizing their company over.

At the end of the day, we all have the option not to purchase products internationally if we don't want to pay the shipping and taxes.

Heck, Meghan was nice enough to refer a Canadian company to purchase detailing products from. Though the pricing may be higher for some of the products you dont' have international shipping or customs duties, problem solved.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I was told it's the way they do it, and always been like that,
    My current order in transit is only my 2nd order with AG to date.

My first was a couple months back during the July 4th deal. I honestly don't recall what was shown for declared value. I'd have to look.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast