autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Canadian Shipping

I would never order from AG if I had to have it shipped to Canada. I always have mine shipped to a USA address close to the border and pick it up there and bring it across the border myself. If order is sent by AG Via UPS when it reaches the border custom agents do an exchange rate calculation first and then brokerage fees and taxes are added after value is converted into Canadian dollars which are around 35% more expensive then American dollars. I know bringing threw the border is not easy for anyone who doesn't live close. I'm lucky I live close to upstate New York. We had it lucky the last few years and the Canadian dollar and American dollar were fairly close in value, however that's not the case anymore as Canadian dollar is priced or valued with what crude oil prices are on futures markets. What is really intriguing to me is what keeps the American dollar so strong.

novaman

Post Thanks / Like

Funny I never replied to this thread I started... when I did receive my package in a huge box, like was stated by Meghan, box dimensions were exact, for calculating shipping only problem the box was half empty. So when I realized I paid to ship 1.5 cubic feet of air from the US to canada, I had an epiphany.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by octane View Post
    Funny I never replied to this thread I started... when I did receive my package in a huge box, like was stated by Meghan, box dimensions were exact, for calculating shipping only problem the box was half empty. So when I realized I paid to ship 1.5 cubic feet of air from the US to canada, I had an epiphany.
    If that was the case then AG should have used a smaller box to send order in. I don't blame you for having an epiphany!!!!

novaman

Post Thanks / Like

USPS cost are ridiculous? Not really! Canada post charge the hell out of USPS for finishing their delivery once it crosses the borders.
    I live close to Calais ME to ship a small item from califonia to ME it cost less then 15$. But to send it the rest of the way to new brunswick it is 50+ not including duty and taxe. The problem is within our own contry...

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    David
    Owner, Operator Max Detail.

Post Thanks / Like

The reason it costs more in Canada is because we have a huge amount of land with a spars population (relative to land mass). Shipping to metropolises should be on par with USPS but it's not because they (parcel delivery service) have to cover the costs for all the people living in rural parts of Canada. That’s just my opinion of why the shipping costs are higher in Canada.

Logically it doesn’t make sense to charge so much more to ship to Montreal when we are just over the border…

I’m considering starting an import export biasness but the fluctuations in exchange rates make it challenging.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW I just did my first two orders from AG and found the process really easy. I live about 45 mins from the border and simply used a broker on the US side. $5 per box (2 of them) and didn't worry about declaring the contents as I was shopping with the wife and customs didn't seem concerned with what I was bringing back over.
    As long as you live close to the border I would just use a broker. Even if you had to drive a few hours it would be worth your time as the promotions here and your travel cost are cheaper than Canadian retailers.
    Once you figure in taxes, margins and shipping its going to be cheaper to use AG or the other online seller (a river in South America).

Post Thanks / Like

Markets are manipulated. US dollar should be down the drain but instead it's crushing every currency. Kinda reminds me of the Morgage bonds in 2007-2008, people were defaulting on loans and the bond prices kept getting higher even though the assets on which they were based were failing. Don't try to figure it out, it's a game and the people who stand to benefit the most make sure the market goes their way.

Quote Originally Posted by novaman View Post
    I would never order from AG if I had to have it shipped to Canada. I always have mine shipped to a USA address close to the border and pick it up there and bring it across the border myself. If order is sent by AG Via UPS when it reaches the border custom agents do an exchange rate calculation first and then brokerage fees and taxes are added after value is converted into Canadian dollars which are around 35% more expensive then American dollars. I know bringing threw the border is not easy for anyone who doesn't live close. I'm lucky I live close to upstate New York. We had it lucky the last few years and the Canadian dollar and American dollar were fairly close in value, however that's not the case anymore as Canadian dollar is priced or valued with what crude oil prices are on futures markets. What is really intriguing to me is what keeps the American dollar so strong.

novaman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by david001wj View Post
    USPS cost are ridiculous? Not really! Canada post charge the hell out of USPS for finishing their delivery once it crosses the borders.
    I live close to Calais ME to ship a small item from califonia to ME it cost less then 15$. But to send it the rest of the way to new brunswick it is 50+ not including duty and taxe. The problem is within our own contry...

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    USPS costs are reasonable. UPS costs on the other hand are pure thievery.

If you ship something to Canada using USPS, it will cost you are least half the price UPS charges. On top of that, you don't have to pay the ridiculous 50$ brokerage fees UPS charges. When done through USPS/Canada Post, this fee is either waved or a small 5-10$ charge is added in some cases.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    USPS costs are reasonable. UPS costs on the other hand are pure thievery.

If you ship something to Canada using USPS, it will cost you are least half the price UPS charges. On top of that, you don't have to pay the ridiculous 50$ brokerage fees UPS charges. When done through USPS/Canada Post, this fee is either waved or a all 5-10$ charge is added in some cases.
    This is very true. Always have goods shipped United States Postal Service if vendor will agree to it. United Parcel Service is pure thievery. Trouble is a lot of vendors will only use United Parcel Service as they will pick-up at point of origin and United States Postal Service will not.

novaman

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345