autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

My (mostly) free detail. Thanks Autogeek!

The purpose of this post is to brag about the free stuff I've received from Autogeek and to thank them. That's why this is in the Customer Comments forum. Of course feedback is welcome.

The wife and I got new cars this summer (long story short; we were both leasing but we didn't plan it very well and both of our leases ended at the same time .) Since then I've been devouring everything on Autogeek and AGO and stocking up on detailing supplies. I'm a sucker for "Free with purchase" deals and Autogeek has a bunch of those, so I've collected almost enough "free" stuff to do an entire detail.

I purchased a Griot's ROP and have used it once on my wife's car (2010 Subaru Legacy) to apply Griot's Paint Sealant (yes I practiced on my wife's car). I used Mothers Cleaner Wax on my car (2010 VW GTI) by hand in August. I've kept it clean and follow the washes with Mothers FX Spray Wax. Now it's due for another round of protection and I want to put on a sealant for the winter.

So here's the plan:

Wash: Two bucket wash using DP Rinseless Wash and Gloss (free from AG, thanks). One bucket and one Grit Guard also free from AG, thanks.

Clay: Griot's clay and DP RWG (free) as lube

Polish: Griot's Machine Polish 4. Griots' ROP with Griot's orange pad. DP RWG as pad conditioner (free). My goal isn't paint correction, just a clean surface. The swirls I have are OK for now. Once I know what I'm doing I'll get more serious. I have Griot's Machine Polish 3 on hand if needed.

IPA wipe: Is this really needed? I bought Griot's Paint Cleanser because Griot's said I needed it. I assume this is the same as an IPA.

Sealant: Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 (free sample with order, thanks) Two coats with proper cure time. Griot's ROP with 4" hydro tech crimson pad.

Wax: XMT 180 (free from AG, thanks). After a week or two of seeing how the WGDGPS handles the dust and rain (after proper wash of course). Griot's ROP with 4" hydro tech crimson pad.

Post wash spray wax: Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Spray Wax (free from AG, thanks).

QD: DP RWG (free from AG, thanks)

The only free item I won't be using for this is the bottle of Poorboys SSR 2.5 but my daughter's car will get that as soon as she comes home from college.

So, thanks for all the freebie's Autogeek. It only cost me about $450. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My (mostly) free detail. Thanks Autogeek!

Cool post! It looks like you made good use of the BOGOs and other freebies.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot about BOGOs. I've taken advantage of that to get the Cobra Glass towels and XMT Pad Cleaner.

Every order I get a free sample of Wolfgang DGPS. Now that I'm stocked up on that I think I'll get something for the glass (DP), tires (Poorboys), and trim (Wolfgang).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoRed View Post
    So, thanks for all the freebie's Autogeek. It only cost me about $450. LOL
    I can't stop laughing, seriously!!! It is so funny, it's great and we all do it. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Please excuse the random question in a thread about free products, but seeing as how you have the same car as I do, do you have some moderate factory orange peel. I'm trying to confirm if I'm the only one or not.

My buddy has a little bit on the lowers but not near as bad as mine.

Now back to the thread. Nice haul you have there. Lots of griots stuff. I'm fairly happy with most things I've got from them. The HQ is my one stop shop for emergency necessities.
    Jeff C.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcarson112 View Post
    Please excuse the random question in a thread about free products, but seeing as how you have the same car as I do, do you have some moderate factory orange peel. I'm trying to confirm if I'm the only one or not.

My buddy has a little bit on the lowers but not near as bad as mine.

Now back to the thread. Nice haul you have there. Lots of griots stuff. I'm fairly happy with most things I've got from them. The HQ is my one stop shop for emergency necessities.
    The orange peel is noticeable. It seems like it's the same on every panel of the car. I'm not sure if it was here or on the golfmk6 forum but it sounds like all of the VW have a little orange peel.

As long as you bring up the paint...
    I see everyone saying the VW clearcoat is hard. But I think it's a little on the soft side. Maybe it's because I'm paying more attention with this car, but I've easily put swirls in it. I'm wondering if there's a difference in where the car was built. For example I had a Jetta built in Mexico and that clearcoat was hard. The GTI being built in Germany may have a softer clearcoat.

I found a local Griot's dealer that carries the entire line so now I'm pretty stoked that I can run down there and pick up anything as needed and not wait 10 days to receive it from Florida. I love the spray on wax and the window cleaner so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah AG is awesome with the free stuff. I won the sampler pack not long ago and added 50 or so new products to my arsenal not including duplicates of the stuff i already had! All sample size of course, but still enough for at least a couple of uses of everything, up to lots and lots of uses for some of it. Already have a few new products on my 'short' list including DP's Krystal Vision, DP Cleanse-All (wish BOGO would've waited till i was ready to order!), PoorBoys Bug Squash, PB Trim restorer, as well as others.. Products I otherwise would never have considered really.. You'll make that money back 10 fold or more come spring as I'm sure you know AG!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoRed View Post

My goal isn't paint correction, just a clean surface. The swirls I have are OK for now. Once I know what I'm doing I'll get more serious. I have Griot's Machine Polish 3 on hand if needed.

Once you get started with the polishing process, you'll find yourself polishing to perfection. If the swirls are not that bad, it shouldn't be too difficult to remove them, thus you will be more motivated to achieve perfection