autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars clay bars cheaper by half at Wal-Mart???

I'm new and up to this point, I've been doing my shopping at the retail level. Just this week I started shopping online for gallon size dilutables, etc. I immediately noticed the Meguiar's 200 gram clay bars in the jar C2000 through Meguiar's direct, Autogeek, and Amazon is going for around $30. I've been buying the "Smooth Surface Clay Kit" G1016 at the local Wal-Mart for around $14. The kit comes with 2 80 gram bars, a bottle of detailer spray, and a microfiber towel. So how is the retail "kit" so much cheaper than the professional clay-only jar? Is the clay different? Is it just a Wal-Mart special? Is there any reason I should be buying the C2000 online instead of the G1016 at Wal-Mart? I mean, who can't use more mf towels and detail spray? I've seen threads discussing preference for one brand clay or another, but no talk about C2000 vs G1016 and the price gap. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiars clay bars cheaper by half at Wal-Mart???

Can't tell you the reason why there is a price difference between Meguiars kits. But you can get Optimum clay at around 14$ on Autogeek. I have purchased Meguiars clay before and really did not like it. Optimum was better, more pliable and worked better over all.

3. Thanks A2D Michael thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're going to be doing quite a few cars you might want to consider getting a fly alternative like the clay mitt it's less expensive in the long run and if you drop it the mitt isn't ruined. Some like regular clay better.
    I don't know why the consumer grade product is less, obviously there is a difference. I priced a few items on AG and places like Walmart. Prices were close on the items that were available at both places. AG quite regularly has sales of 20-25%, free freight, and unless you're in Florida you don't have to pay sales tax.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

5. Thanks A2D Michael thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There’s not much difference, but then again there’s something about the C2000 clay that just feels slightly better in every way. The extra 40grams, while it may not sound like much makes the C2000 clay feel more substantial. Comparing them both the C2000 seems to work a little better as in slightly faster, but that doesn’t mean the OTC clay is any less capable. I think some would say the difference is marginal while there’s sure to be others who would say the C2000 is worlds better, but the latter would simply be exaggerating.

Post Thanks / Like

That's my recollection that the white Smooth Surface is a "fine" grade while the C2000 blue is a "medium" grade.