autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I am ROYALLY PISSED OFF!

Take it to the dealer and ask them to fix it. Its a failure of the wheel finish and that should be covered by warranty. In my experience, dealerships arent very good at returning phone calls of this nature.

Post Thanks / Like

The tire shine did not do that.

Now, how did you get tire shine on the wheel?

Post Thanks / Like

Late model Mazdas are known to have thin paint and clear coat issues on their wheels. Tire "shine" isn't the culprit

Post Thanks / Like

not tire shine... i would go direct to dealer show up and let them look at the issue.. keep the geek nation updated thank you ....

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I did not put too much detail in the post.

Here are some more photos.

I used the foam Shine, sprayed it directly to tire. I then went around after it was almost dry I smoothed it out with a sponge then used a microfiber and wiped any residual off from the rims.

Photos:
    I am ROYALLY PISSED OFF!-20160429_170543_resized_1-jpg
    I am ROYALLY PISSED OFF!-20160429_170912_resized_1-jpg
    I am ROYALLY PISSED OFF!-rimproblem-jpg
    I am ROYALLY PISSED OFF!-20160430_190057_resized-jpg
    I am ROYALLY PISSED OFF!-20160430_190124_resized-jpg

UPDATE: The dealer inspected the rims and is replacing them under warranty. A couple paint shops said it was not the tire shine product that did this but I need to be absolutely sure this never happens again. I am going to discard the remaining product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
    Sorry I did not put too much detail in the post.

Here are some more photos.

I used the foam Shine, sprayed it directly to tire. I then went around after it was almost dry I smoothed it out with a sponge then used a microfiber and wiped any residual off from the rims.

UPDATE: The dealer inspected the rims and is replacing them under warranty. A couple paint shops said it was not the tire shine product that did this but I need to be absolutely sure this never happens again. I am going to discard the remaining product.
    Glad the dealer is addressing it but I can tell you it's not that product. I've used it. Chances are it was something to do with the paint application process. I've seen chemical damage to wheels cleaned with improper products and yours don't resemble that either.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

?.. . A couple paint shops said it was not the tire shine product that did this but I need to be absolutely sure this never happens again. I am going to discard the remaining product.
    Yeah, you should probably also toss out the garden hose and any towels you used as they are clearly contributing factors to the failure of the finish on your wheels.

Love it when people come to a Forum, post a query, give very little information and then completely disregard the educated advice they are given.
    Beware of those giving suggestions without evidence of their results.

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 47586Not exactly sure how to upload a photo here but will try. But the clearcoat is a plastic like coating. I am wondering if the tireshine was a silicone product and caused it to crack like Armoral?
    Noticed now that it is happening to all four rims.
    I used the same product on my wife's 2015 Mazda CX5 and there are no issues, but I am not sure if her clear coating is diffierent than mine.

Dealer has not called me back.
    The chances of a protectant product like a tire shine damaging paint is as close to 0 as can be. What ever happened it is almost certain that the cause lies elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    The chances of a protectant product like
    a tire shine damaging paint is as close
    to 0 as can be.

What ever happened it is almost certain
    that the cause lies elsewhere.
    "Wheel paints" may be a little different
    than car paints...However:

NOTE:
    Most OEM's now state in their TSB's that
    paint damage stains, caused by application
    of tire dressings, are NOT covered by their
    paint warranties.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________

For Example:

NISSAN; INFORMATION ON PAINT STAINS CAUSED BY TIRE DRESSING
    APPLIED VEHICLES: All 2000 and later Nissan

SERVICE INFORMATION

"An aftermarket chemical product called “tire dressing” is sometimes used on tires. When the tire dressing is applied, it may combine
    with an anti-ozonant compound (applied by tire manufacturers) to form a new compound that could stain vehicle paint.
    The paint stains occur if the wet tire dressing/anti-ozonant compound slings onto the vehicle paint when the vehicle is driven.

Paint damage stains caused by application of the tire dressing are NOT covered by Nissan warranty.
    Therefore, Nissan does not recommend the application of tire dressing to vehicle tires.

If a customer requests application of tire dressing to his/her vehicle, they should be informed
    that the vehiclepaint may be stained if the tire dressing is applied to the tires and that
    Nissan warranty does not cover the repair of these stains".

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Something else to keep in mind
    when "dressing tires".

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, all wheels replaced. I had gone to a different dealership and worked with a great service adviser who said he had seen it before in fact he said the last time the customer didn't even know there was a problem and they told him that they needed to replace his rims so this place was a stand-up dealership. So I'm looking at the new rims now and they are definitely different than the originals they seem a little bit brighter or I should say lighter in color then the originals so it's possible they change the process perhaps or mone darkened over time. Dog gone this Mazda is sexy I freaking love this car and glad it is back to its beautiful self.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123