autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Competition Ready - Episode 3

Are these shows available to watch online?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, seemed to be a forced artificial drama over the time. And panning back and forth between various people wiping.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by larry33 View Post
    Yeah, seemed to be a forced artificial drama over the time. And panning back and forth between various people wiping.
    Agree it was sunny out when they finished then when the car started to drive and be put in line it was dark out

Never the less it was still a good episode. Also was curious on the claying step and final sell. Last I heard the guy mentioned 75K
    Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

IMO too much fluff and too much forced deadline drama
    Paul - 2010 Malibu

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I like Truck U and All Girls Garage so much. They just show the work being done without all the drama.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree TruckU and All Girls Garage would have been the perfect model for Comp Ready. Instead they chose the one where they fix the car that has been sitting in the garage unfinished for years (I forget the shows name) as a template. The drama is unnecessary.

Post Thanks / Like

^ Overhaulin
    Paul - 2010 Malibu

Post Thanks / Like

I think the show would instantly be a better show with the removal of AJ. She is where a lot of the fluff is(not all, but biggest single source I think)and doesn't bring anything to the show, just gets in the way. And honestly, I don't think she is anywhere near at attractive as people go on and on about on here.
    If a second season happens(I'd be surprised if it does tbh)a massive revamp is necessary or it won't be worth watching. Cut the fluff and the 'hurry, hurry, hurry, time is almost up!' crap. Show all the steps, some basic explanation and Mike, don't look so uncomfortable, just be yourself. You are entertaining as yourself. I don't think the show should be super technical, but definitely more than what it is now. Now it is an obviously fake show in the sense of its structure and progression with a shiny car at the end.
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with almost all of the comments. It needs less "set up" and more just show the detailing. They can cut out Bob's part in the beginning with maybe a quick narration from Mike about the upcoming project. There is reality of the time constraints, no need to make such a big deal about it. Its not unreasonable that Kyle Tuckers car had not been prepped before arriving at Sema, or the cars at the Petersen museum had not been touched prior to being put on display. And it is totally believable that a car going to auction gets detailed at the auction site (after all Mothers has an entire team doing exactly this at Barrett Jackson auctions).

Episode three had the most actual information on detailing of the first three episodes, which is a good thing.

The show has to be "entertaining", but I think it can be without the fluff and fake drama. Mike is super personable on his own and is always interesting to hear talk about detailing. Eye candy in the form of a cute girl is always good on TV, AJ is a great host. But its obvious she knows nothing about detailing. Maybe get a real "car guy" girl on the show, like Christy Lee who isnt afraid of getting her hands dirty!

Post Thanks / Like

I saw episode 1, missed episode 2, saw episode 3.
    Currently, you can only see the episodes at assigned times.
    For the most part the current "car" shows are: 1) build/restore a car in 30 minutes or I'm going bankrupt, 2) built around an interesting or "charismatic" personality- make sure there's a lot of drama, and 3) learn something.
    At SEMA almost every booth has beautiful, surgically enhanced young ladies (not Autogeek); cars and girls- that's the way it's always been. IMO, "AJ" is a nice lady who earned her "street cred" by being on, "Overhaulin". It seems as though, "Competition Ready" is trying to find its niche. I think Mike is the perfect host and AJ is a nice compliment. I wish I could be more helpful in my critique.
    I think there's a place for a detailing show on Velocity: detailing some cool-unique cars, muscle cars, ultra rare- uber expensive cars, daily drivers, tips anyone can use, secrets of the elite detailers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast