autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Competition Ready "Premier Party" at Autogeek - 6:00pm Friday, April 22nd

Cool show. I even enjoyed a few commercials I've never seen before (PBL, ONR, Megs, Metrovac, Sonax, Mothers).

Going to find/add a few "worm towels" to my next order.

Post Thanks / Like

Great to have a TV show dedicated to detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Mike.

Kinda surprised the swirls were that bad for only three months.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice episode love the Chevelle. Kyle is an awesome guy. He and his wife were auto crossing their 2010 camaro here in Indy a few years ago.

Ryan
    Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

I was out of town for business last week and finally was able to watch the recording of the show. I really liked it and look forward to the other episodes as well.

I liked it and the commercials as well. Probably one of the only times I don't automatically fast forward through the adds at top speed!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WeekendDIY View Post

Congrats Mike.

Kinda surprised the swirls were that bad for only three months.

I wish they would have shown the holograms in the paint when the car was being unloaded.

The shots you see of the car being unloaded are from the cameras pointed at the passenger side.

The sun was shining down on the driver's side. I stood on both sides of the car and the holograms from the paint being buffed with a rotary buffer were everywhere on the paint.

I thought they said the captured them on camera but either they didn't or they did and but they were not included in the episode. Kyle said they simply didn't have the time to do their normal buffing work and since he knew we would take over he wasn't concerned.

We also have to be sensitive to the builders and their team as it's not our goal to make anyone look bad.

But "yes" the entire car was swirled out with holograms from a rotary buffer and the Mother's compound and polish with the FLEX 3401 completely obliterated them.

Then we machine applied the Syn Wax with the Wax Attack 2 orbital polishers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I wish they would have shown the holograms in the paint when the car was being unloaded.

The shots you see of the car being unloaded are from the cameras pointed at the passenger side.

The sun was shining down on the driver's side. I stood on both sides of the car and the holograms from the paint being buffed with a rotary buffer were everywhere on the paint.

I thought they said the captured them on camera but either they didn't or they did and but they were not included in the episode. Kyle said they simply didn't have the time to do their normal buffing work and since he knew we would take over he wasn't concerned.

We also have to be sensitive to the builders and their team as it's not our goal to make anyone look bad.

But "yes" the entire car was swirled out with holograms from a rotary buffer and the Mother's compound and polish with the FLEX 3401 completely obliterated them.

Then we machine applied the Syn Wax with the Wax Attack 2 orbital polishers.

I absolutely understand you weren't there to make anyone look bad. I was just a bit surprised the amount of swirls so soon.

And as I'm typing and thinking out loud.....and this is because I honestly don't know any better....is it SOP to rotatory buff such a new paint job, only being three months old?

I have my DVR setup. I'm looking forward to upcoming episodes.

Mike Phillips

I absolutely understand you weren't there to make anyone look bad. I was just a bit surprised the amount of swirls so soon.
    It's not a matter of

Swirls so soon

It's a matter of buffing ANY paint with a rotary buffer and stopping. To me it looks like the car was sanded and then cut with a wool pad and a rotary buffer and then they stopped and my guess is they stopped due to time constraints as they had to get the car loaded and shipped to SEMA.

I'm confident that the guys at Kyle Tucker's shop know what they are doing but here's a case where they ran out of time and that created the perfect opportunity for our CR Team to step in and finish the job.

And as I'm typing and thinking out loud.....and this is because I honestly don't know any better....

is it SOP to rotatory buff such a new paint job, only being three months old?
    Yes.

My background includes working as a Trainer for Meguiar's for Oregon, Washington and Idaho. My primary job was to call on body shops, dealerships and detail shops and show them how to use a "System Approach" for working on cars.

For the body shop industry I taught how to use the Meguiar's Nikken Finishing Papers and the Meguiar's Professional Line to wetsand, cut and buff fresh paint. Every body shop is different as to how long they wait to sand and buff their paint jobs because each body shop has a different system in place that works for them but it's not uncommon to paint a car on one day and then cut and buff the paint in the next 2-3 days. Some wait longer but it depends on the car and what they are doing, for example collision repair where only a fender is painted versus a custom paint job on a 1966 Mustang Convertible after a full restoration.

Great question and thank you for watching.

Mike Phillips

For those reading this into the future....

SOP = Standard Operating Procedure

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    For those reading this into the future....

SOP = Standard Operating Procedure

Us engineers get this
    Ryan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast