autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

1967 Ford GT40 - Competition Ready TV on Velocity Channel

1967 Ford GT40 - Competition Ready TV on Velocity Channel

Only 7 Ford GT40 Mark III cars were built in 1967 and out of the 7 cars only 4 were delivered with left hand drive like this 1967 Ford GT40. This is the very rare street-legal example, serial #MK3 1105

This car was originally owned by the well-known Austrian Music Conductor Herbert Von Karajan. Mr. Karajan drove the car very little and never drove it in the rain. The Mark II differed from earlier Mark I and Mark II versions in that it had round headlights in stead of oblong headlights and an extended rear deck with room for luggage.

It also has a less rigid suspension and more comfortable interior package. It was powered by a Ford 289 cubic inch engine with 306 horsepower mated to a ZF 5-sped manual transmission. The car could accelerate from zero to 60 miles per hour in 5.3 seconds. Top speed is 165 miles per hour. The GT40 model designation came from the low slung design of the car and the height of the car which is approximately 40" inches from the ground to the top of the roof.

This is the only car out of the four cars we worked on that had a modern basecoat/clearcoat finish. The entire finish was completely swirled out as was the back window and the front headlight covers. To look at the complete car it was a swirled-out mess.

The paint was also rock hard. It was also the lowest car to the ground making it a real challenge to work on since you had your choice of bending over or sitting on the ground to do any of the step.

Competition Ready Team - Episode 2
    This episode of Competition Ready was sponsored by Meguiar's and as such my Competition Ready was created drawing from trained experts that work for Meguiar's plus a few other professional detailers in the area. One of the things I make a personal practice is to give due credit where credit is due. In this case the majority of all the work performed on these cars was performed by the team you see below.

From left to right...
    Rick McDonough, Andy Wong, Derek Bemis, Nick Winn, David Sylican, Mike Pennington, Mike Phillips, Paul Cartegena, Ed Terwilliger, Richard Lin and Mike Stoops.

Not pictured but a member of this team is Joe Fernandez aka Superior Shine in the forum world.

After shots
    Here are some pictures after all the work was completed and the GT40 was on display for the grand opening of the Petersen Museum.

Bob McKee inspecting the finished results
    I took this picture with my camera phone while the TV crew were filming for our TV show "Competition Ready".

Adrienne "AJ" Janic & Mike Phillips
    This shot was taken right after the last of the filming took place. Right after this shot the Petersen Museum Security Guards showed up to stop any and all pictures from being taken. They did not want ANY pictures taken and released to the public before the grand opening on Saturday. We did the work on this car on Wednesday.

The information I have states that this 1967 Ford GT40 Mark III is valued at $7,000.000.00 or seven million dollars.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1967 Ford GT40 - Competition Ready TV on Velocity Channel

Very cool Mike! Thanks for sharing!
    Keep Calm... and Detail On!

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my. That is sweeeeeet!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: 1967 Ford GT40 - Competition Ready TV on Velocity Channel

It's a beautiful car Mike, excellent work by everyone involved. Way cool!

Mike Phillips

Found these on my phone camera.... still have not received the photos taken during the actual detailing process. As soon as I get them I'll add them to this thread so you can see the team at work.

I'm not sure who grabbed my phone and took these pictures but in the back working claying the louvers is Rick McDonough from Meguiar's. In the middle claying the roof with his back to us is Paul Cartagena also known as the other pc. Up front were AJ and me...

AJ and me claying the front of the GT40

Here's AJ using the Meguiar's MT300 DA Polisher with the Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction System to remove the swirls out of this very hard clearcoat finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats the perfect combo, , w o w ! ! ! !

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a Ford guy. This and the AC Cobra are perhaps my two favorite American made cars ever. Great job guys, you make all us geekers look good and you make us proud.

Walter

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
    2009 Volvo S60 2.5T Black 2011 Mini Countryman Oxford Green Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

What an amazing car to work on. Way cool

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic Mike.

Thank you so much for sharing theses pictures of cars that are truly special, rare & I, like many others would most likely NEVER see! Spoilt we are!

Could be lowered a touch though, sits a bit high. Hahaha. Back breaking work working on one of theses I would imagine. Looking top notch though, great job.

Aaryn NZ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast