autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

The Round Door Rolls - Competition Ready TV on Velocity Channel

The Round Door Rolls - Competition Ready TV on Velocity Channel

1925 Rolls-Royce Phantom I Jonckheere Coupe aka the Round Door Rolls

The 1925 Round Door Rolls Royce is known as the crown jewel of the Petersen Museum car collection. This is in part due to how beautiful, elegant and unique the body styling is as well as the fact that it is the only car of its kind in existence.

Jonckheere is a motorcoach and bus builder founded in 1881 by Henri Jonckheere in Roeselare, Belgium. This unique car started out as a Hooper Convertible built for Mrs. Hugh Dillman.

Mrs. Hugh Dillman is the married name of Anna Dodge the widow of Horace Dodge Sr., found of Dodge Brothers along with his brother John Dodge. Mrs. Dillman ordered the Rolls Royce with the Hooper body but never took delivery of the car. It was sold to Raja of Manpara in India. It went through several owners until at one point it arrived at Jonckheere shop where it underwent a major makeover including the custom coachwork to create the version we all know today as the Round Door Rolls Royce.

At one point it was purchased by Max Obie, an entrepreneur on the east coast of the United States. Max Obie painted the car gold using 5 pounds of gold dust in the paint to create the illusion of a gold car. The car was placed in a car hauler where it then traveled around to various locations and for #1 dollar you could enter into the trailer and view the car. It was advertized as the Million Dollar Rolls Royce build for the Duke of Windsor.

Later it was purchased by yet another person and painted white. In 1991 the Round Door Rolls was sold at an auction for 1.5 million dollars to a Japanese car collector and shipped to Japan. It remained there till it was purchased by the Peterson Museum the spring of 2001 and then was given a ground up restoration and now resides on the main showroom floor to be enjoyed by car enthusiast from around the world that make the Petersen Museum a bucket list destination point.

Although the Round Door Rolls was restored it was in dire need of a full treatment detail with a lot of emphasis and focus on restoring the paint to show car status for display at the newly remodeled 80 million dollar renovation of the Petersen Museum.

Competition Ready Team - Episode 2
    This episode of Competition Ready was sponsored by Meguiar's and as such my Competition Ready was created drawing from trained experts that work for Meguiar's plus a few other professional detailers in the area. One of the things I make a personal practice is to give due credit where credit is due. In this case the majority of all the work performed on these cars was performed by the team you see below. I helped to dial in the process when I could and helped to work on the cars in-between shots but the majority of the work was performed by my team of carefully selected seasoned detailing professionals.

From left to right...
    Rick McDonough, Andy Wong, Derek Bemis, Nick Winn, David Sylican, Mike Pennington, Mike Phillips, Paul Cartegena, Ed Terwilliger, Richard Lin and Mike Stoops.

Not pictured but a member of this team is Joe Fernandez aka Superior Shine in the forum world.

The Challenge
    Because we were also filming the grand opening of the Petersen Museum in this episode and at the time we did our work the museum was NOT open to the public, we were NOT alowed to take pictures of any of the cars inside the museum or the museum itself. For this reason I only have a few pictures of the before condition for all 4 of the cars we worked on.

Swirls and scratches
    Below is the only before picture I was able to take before we started working and filming. There were security cameras and security staff everywhere throughout the museum.

Big pictre
    The big picture is the paint on the entire car looked just like you see on the fender aprons in the front of the grill. Our job was to restore a finish worthy of this priceless masterpiece in about 8 hours. I divided my team into to groups, one group to tackle the Rolls Royce and one group to tackle the Bugatti. Pictures of the Bugatti will be shared too....

Our TV production company, bcii had a staff photographer on hand to take pictures of the team as they worked on each of the cars. When I get access to these pictures I'll share them on this forum.

Grand Opening
    At the grand opening on Saturday, December 5th since the press was allowed in all restrictions for taking pictures were dropped. In-between filming the opening for this 2nd episode of Competition Ready I was able to take some after shots of the car.

Below are the pictures taken at the grand opening of the Petersen Museum.

Swirls and scratches
    The Round Door Rolls Royce had single stage paint. AJ and I did the baggie test and found it needed to be clayed so after wiping the car down using Meguiar's M34 Final Inspection the next thing we did was to clay the entire vehicle.

Test Spot
    After claying we did a number of test spots and found the Meguiar's Microfiber discs together with Meguiar's M205 worked to remove the swirls and scratches using the Meguiar's MT300. We followed this with machine polishing using a combination of Meguiar's microfiber polishing discs and Meguiar's 5.5" yellow foam poishing pads with the M205 and then followed this by machine applying a coat of Meguiar's Ultimate Wax.

Here are the results...

Mike Phillips

Re: The Round Door Rolls - Competition Ready TV on Velocity

Continued...

After all the filming had been completed it was time to celebrate the grand opening with the guests and members of the Petersen Museum.

Bob McKee, Adrienne "AJ" Janic and Mike Phillips

Barry Meguiar and friend....

Mike Phillips, Richard Rawlings and Adrienne "AJ" Janic

This is Bud the owner of bcii and behind him is our Director Adam. Bud opened the door of the 1925 Round Door Rolls Royce and I snapped this picture.

The wheels are just as stylish as the entire car....

This is how the car was when we arrived; it was covered with a plastic drop cloth as well as a light coat of dust...

The size of this car, the condition, the work environment and short amount of time make this the most challenging car out of the 4 cars we make competition ready but I'm proud to say everyone on the team went above an beyond the call of duty to pull this project off.

Great job guys!

Comments welcomed and appreciated....

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, now that's a special automobile looking "Competition Ready"
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post

Wow, now that's a special automobile looking "Competition Ready"

It really came out beautiful. The team that tackled this car had their work cut out for them but in the end they shined as does the car.

Another priceless car that was both fun to work on and nerve wracking at the same time.

The good news is... there's more to come in 2016...

Post Thanks / Like

So... this is my second correct guess...

Will I get an autographed book from MP if the other 2 are also correct?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ml#post1323111

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: The Round Door Rolls - Competition Ready TV on Velocity

Wow Mike, that car is huge, beautiful machine, lots of sheet metal real estate!

Congrats to the entire Competition Ready Team.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that is slick! Nicely done gang!

Post Thanks / Like

That's one cool car.

Post Thanks / Like

I bet that was a real nail biter working on a one of a kind priceless car. It now looks phenomenal. Did Richard Rawlings have a beer assistant on hand?
    Rick....now in North Texas

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RMM View Post
    S

o... this is my second correct guess...

Will I get an autographed book from MP if the other 2 are also correct?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...<br /> <br />

I didn't know there was a contest?

I think camera pictures of all 4 cars have already been shared on the Competition Ready Facebook page too...

Competition Ready Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast