autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Competition Ready - Season 2 - Episode 3 - AJs 1968 Firebird Extreme Show Car Makeover

***Bump***

This new episode coming on in about 5-minutes!

Check it out!

Mike Phillips

Re: Competition Ready - Season 2 - Episode 3 - AJs 1968 Firebird Extreme Show Car Makeover

Who watched it?

I think that episode came out GREAT!

What say you?

Post Thanks / Like

Great episode. Thumbs up to the team once again.

The car came out great. Most importantly, AJ was happy.

Post Thanks / Like

i watched the whole episode.
    nice work mike. one question. when you compounded out the swirls with the purple pad and
    there were the deeper scratches left what was your next step to get them out?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Who watched it?

I think that episode came out GREAT!

What say you?

I dont have Velocity, so i'll catch it at a buddies over the weekend!

Wish I could just order velocity and Mav TV lol

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by asalesagent912 View Post

i watched the whole episode. nice work mike.

one question.

when you compounded out the swirls with the purple pad and there were the deeper scratches left what was your next step to get them out?

In the real world, once I found the paint to be on the hard side and the maroon Buff and Shine pad and the Wolfgang Uber Compound were not getting out the RIDS, then I would have pulled out the FLEX 3401 and hammered the paint.

In the TV world, since we started out using the Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher, if this were an hour long show I would have stayed with the same tool, the same compound and then switched over to the more aggressive Buff and Shine Blue foam cutting pad.

This would have stayed inside the tools, products and pad line we already shared with the TV audience and by simply switching to the more aggressive pad we would have removed the deeper scratches faster and easier.

As it was, we were able to remove ALL of the deeper scratches simply by methodically buffing on the paint until they were removed. That is, slow overlapping passes. The Wolfgang Uber Compound uses top notch abrasive technology. The Buff and Shine pads are also top notch and the Griot's is the most powerful simple DA on the market. So the only other factor is TIME. And that's what we did, we invested the time.

Mel Craig and I knocked out the hood. Because there were some pretty deep scratches in the hood took responsibility for pushing the compounding step to the limit to remove the defects 100% with my fingers crossed that because this was a custom paint job, (thicker paint than a factory finish), that there would be enough paint to work the scratches out without buffing through the clean and my hunch was right.

The paint on this car came out perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Great episode!

It's good to see more tech tips and teaching on the shows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    In the real world, once I found the paint to be on the hard side and the maroon Buff and Shine pad and the Wolfgang Uber Compound were not getting out the RIDS, then I would have pulled out the FLEX 3401 and hammered the paint.

In the TV world, since we started out using the Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher, if this were an hour long show I would have stayed with the same tool, the same compound and then switched over to the more aggressive Buff and Shine Blue foam cutting pad.

This would have stayed inside the tools, products and pad line we already shared with the TV audience and by simply switching to the more aggressive pad we would have removed the deeper scratches faster and easier.

As it was, we were able to remove ALL of the deeper scratches simply by methodically buffing on the paint until they were removed. That is, slow overlapping passes. The Wolfgang Uber Compound uses top notch abrasive technology. The Buff and Shine pads are also top notch and the Griot's is the most powerful simple DA on the market. So the only other factor is TIME. And that's what we did, we invested the time.

Mel Craig and I knocked out the hood. Because there were some pretty deep scratches in the hood took responsibility for pushing the compounding step to the limit to remove the defects 100% with my fingers crossed that because this was a custom paint job, (thicker paint than a factory finish), that there would be enough paint to work the scratches out without buffing through the clean and my hunch was right.

The paint on this car came out perfect.

Thanks for the response Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Currently watching this episode and not to nit pick but some might think I am but when the wheels being polished with the finger pockets she showed the pad being dirty when in fact it wasn't. We all know that those types of wheels, ones with no clear on them, is always going to do that, pretty common knowledge. When presenting it like that your giving misinformation to the general public who are the ones the show is geared to, this getting more customers and making more money, that makes sense as well as cents.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Btw, the car looks great, glad it wasn't a Camaro! THE piece that makes it look best is those modern resto Hurst wheels!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast