autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Rolling with the Big Dogs on Velocity Channel!

Just checked out the Velocity.com website.

Click on Shows
    Click on View All Shows
    Click on A-Z

Here's our show listed with all your other favorite shows and TV Car Guys!

Then if you click on our graphic you'll go to a page with more info...

Pretty cool.

Been buffing out cars all my life and showing others how to buff out car all my life.

I'd say this is a pinnacle moment.

I give credit to Bob McKee who had the vision years ago to bring car detailing to the TV world. I would also thank Tony George and our current team of people here at Autogeek for all their support and hard work behind the scenes. This would include our General Manager Terry Angstadt, Meghan Poirier our CEO, Juan Sierra our CIO, Yancy Martinez our Creative Director, Danielle Crinigan our web manager and really, everyone else here at Autogeek.

I'd also thank Leslie Kennedy our Executive Producer, Adam Means our Director and Ashley Yoder our Producer and all the support from the rest of the people at bcii (bcii is our TV production company), as well as Velocity and Discovery channel.

Would also like to thank all our sponsors. In alphabetical order

Autogeek
    BlackfireWax.com
    Britemax
    Buff and Shine Mfg
    Flex North America, Inc
    FLEX-Elektrowerkzeuge GmbH
    Lake Country Manufacturing
    McKee's 37 Car Care
    Meguiar's
    Metrovac
    Mothers Polish
    Optimum Polymer Technologies
    Pinnacle Wax
    Scangrip
    SONAX USA
    SONAX Autopflege
    Wolfgang Car Care

Thank you everyone!

And thank you to all my forum friends for all your support and friendship over the years...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rolling with the Big Dogs on Velocity Channel!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Been buffing out cars all my life and showing others how to buff out cars all my life.

I'd say this is a pinnacle moment.
    Great work, Mike! Congratulations.

Post Thanks / Like

That's Beast!

Btw Mike, not too long ago I watched 1 of your Autogeek vids on youtube and I guess it was 1 of your 1st vids because there were a couple of comments trying to say that you sounded a bit too serious or whatever... If I remember correctly you replied that it was at the beginning so of course things were just getting rolling and stuff...

But I didn't notice anything like that... What I did notice in that particular video and something that made me laugh out loud at how similar minds think alike was the part where you said something about making sure to work in a clean environment and how "even the pavement/floor you're working on is clean, because you swept it"! I swear that part brought a huge smile to my face because I not only sweep the entire driveway prior to the car I'm detailing showing up, but sometimes I even sweep the gutter on the street out front just to ensure there's no possibility of dust blowing onto my work. Lol.
    I've been wanting to share that with you, so there it is

I also couldn't help but notice how great you are [or have become] in front of the camera.. That video of you introducing the Jay Leno line was absolutely flawless! And trust me, Mike Phillips doesn't need no teleprompter.. He's got real deal mic skills. I've seen it live Great work and congratulations my friend, you deserve it!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

That's Beast!

Btw Mike, not too long ago I watched 1 of your Autogeek vids on youtube and I guess it was 1 of your 1st vids because there were a couple of comments trying to say that you sounded a bit too serious or whatever... If I remember correctly you replied that it was at the beginning so of course things were just getting rolling and stuff...

That was probabably the first video Yancy and I ever made. The date was in June of 2010

Yancy was new at this and I was too outside of the video work I did with Richard Lin.

But I didn't notice anything like that... What I did notice in that particular video and something that made me laugh out loud at how similar minds think alike was the part where you said something about making sure to work in a clean environment and how "even the pavement/floor you're working on is clean, because you swept it"!

I swear that part brought a huge smile to my face because I not only sweep the entire driveway prior to the car I'm detailing showing up, but sometimes I even sweep the gutter on the street out front just to ensure there's no possibility of dust blowing onto my work. Lol.

I've been wanting to share that with you, so there it is

Thanks for sharing... I think I also explained this in the first video, actually DVD that I made with Richard Lin. This was also the very first video that shared the complete process to buff out a car from start to finish. ZERO mock-up. This was the real deal. We filmed the beginning, the end and everything in-between.

As for minds thinking alike, you've probably read this article?

The Mindset of a Professional Detailer

I also couldn't help but notice how great you are [or have become] in front of the camera.. That video of you introducing the Jay Leno line was absolutely flawless!
    Ha ha...

Here's the behind-the-scenes story for that video that only Yancy and I know...

That morning I cut my chin really bad shaving! No big deal, with a little time the bleeding stops and right before filming wipe away any dried blood.

Nope. Not on your life. I bled till about 2:00pm that day. I couldn't get this little tiny shaving nick to stop bleeding. So when we shot the video, if you watch it you'll see either 3 or 4 segments. I would say a line and the stop. Wipe my chin and then start again. After a line stop. After stopping after each line I would wipe my chin and then tell Yancy --> GO!

And of course Yancy is a wizard at editing.

But yeah, that was a pain to film all due to a simple shaving accident.

And trust me, Mike Phillips doesn't need no teleprompter.. He's got real deal mic skills. I've seen it live

Great work and congratulations my friend, you deserve it!
    Thanks... if I'm comfortable with the topic it's easy. If I'm not then it requires concentration.

Back when I did my last year with Dennis Gage I had 8 segments and the way their TV production team worked is I would have to memorize my lines EXACTLY as everything is timed down to the second and then stand in front of the camera and repeat the lines without a single mistake and without a prompter.

These are all memorized one-take and one-minute long videos. While you'll see the camera switch to b-roll, for each one I stand where you see me standing and recite the lines from memory in one take. Then they edit to create the final results.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool, Mike. I need to get the darn channel. Seems like some nice shows on there.

I agree with Eldorado. Mad skills. Seeing Mike on two sets, not using a teleprompter....good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Mike!

Not only is this awesome for you but it's pretty awesome for us in the detailing industry too. The show hasn't made it this far South as yet but in time I hope it does.

Congratulations my friend!

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

That was probabably the first video Yancy and I ever made. The date was in June of 2010

Yancy was new at this and I was too outside of the video work I did with Richard Lin.

Thanks for sharing... I think I also explained this in the first video, actually DVD that I made with Richard Lin. This was also the very first video that shared the complete process to buff out a car from start to finish. ZERO mock-up. This was the real deal. We filmed the beginning, the end and everything in-between.

As for minds thinking alike, you've probably read this article?

The Mindset of a Professional Detailer
    That article seems familiar, but it may have been a while since I 1st read it... Thanks for providing the link to refresh the memory. Those are some great words in that article..

Especially this part:

The mindset of the professional detailer
    The human elements of caring about the quality of your work, and having a true passion for the craft, is a mindset. This mindset is a way of thinking that is an unconscious reflex similar to breathing. By this I mean, just like none of us ever have to think about breathing because it's an automatic reflex that is a part of our physiology, for the true craftsman, doing their very best work for every car they touch is an unavoidable reflex... it's in their blood.

For myself, when I work on another person's car, I mentally adopt the car as if it were my own. After making this intellectual commitment and emotional attachment towards both the vehicle and the owner of the vehicle, everything else, (the work to be performed), becomes second-nature, I simply treat their car exactly like I would treat my own car, because at some spiritual level, it is now my car.

This is the mindset of any true professional no matter what their profession. It's never about the money… it's always about the passion for what they were created for.
    I love that. That's exactly how I think!

It reminds me of a quote I heard many years ago, I believe it was from Henry Ford... He said "The true mark of quality is doing the same work even when no one's looking"
    That quote will stay with me forever, because that's exactly how I've been and always will be. And it's similar to the words you wrote in that article.. Good stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha...

Here's the behind-the-scenes story for that video that only Yancy and I know...

That morning I cut my chin really bad shaving! No big deal, with a little time the bleeding stops and right before filming wipe away any dried blood.

Nope. Not on your life. I bled till about 2:00pm that day. I couldn't get this little tiny shaving nick to stop bleeding. So when we shot the video, if you watch it you'll see either 3 or 4 segments. I would say a line and the stop. Wipe my chin and then start again. After a line stop. After stopping after each line I would wipe my chin and then tell Yancy --> GO!

And of course Yancy is a wizard at editing.

But yeah, that was a pain to film all due to a simple shaving accident.
    ... Well consider me fooled. Lol. I mean seriously, after I watched that Jay Leno product video I shook my head and thought "man he just rolled all that off without even stopping... And I know he wasn't reading no teleprompter. That's pretty damn good"! Lol.
    And to find out that's how it actually happened? Lol... Well I gotta give Yancy alot of credit, because he sure did a heck of a job with the editing.

.... They used to make you memorize all those lines in those older vids? No wonder you're good, you've been through boot camp! Train tough, and everything else will be easy

Post Thanks / Like

That's a fantastic milestone! I still go back and watch some of the classic videos, and still enjoy them!

The industry has come a long way, and I give you, and those companies that have supported your efforts the credit.

Those early videos where you and Yancy were getting your bearings contain information still valid today. They are still a legitimate resource and will remain so, as is everything since then.

Congrats, Mike!

Thanks for being our ambassador to the world!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey man, those guys are rolling with you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast