autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Competition Ready -The Experience ill never forget

So, I don’t have cable, and when I’m on YouTube I’m either watching detailing videos or movie trailers, usually movie trailers. So even though there are signs to competition ready allover AGO I just always thought it was for the classes. so one day during my normal routine I log in and click "new post" so see the newest subjects of the day and is see "Wanted: Active forum members in Southern California"... well this is new, so I click the link and see Mike Phillips is putting out an open call to SoCal Detailers. I read through the 3 priority picks and thought to myself, nope not me. So I went about my day and saw that no one was posting which blew my mind. So I said F it I’ll give it a go, so I commented that is like to do it. I get a response that I’m on the sand by list and just that alone was AMAZING!!!!

This is where it gets really crazy, so there were two post, one for Fl and one for Cali. About 2 days before the FL RV shoot I get an email with a call sheet saying I’ve been selected and all the details of the show. I first get super excited and then 2, get really depressed. I’m all the way in Cali and there was no way I could drop everything to make it to the other side of the country with 24 hrs. notice. So I had to call Ashley the producer and explain to her I wouldn't be able to make it. So when I hung up that phone my bubble popped and my spotlight of excitement went dim, it was fun while it lasted. well then the morning of the FL show my phone rings and its a number I’ve not seen before so I answer

me- Hello
    voice- is this Freddie
    me- yes
    voice- Freddie of Cruz’s car wash
    me-...yes (nerves kick in as I had just had another call from a client saying they were having issues with their car after i detailed it)
    voice- hey freddie it Mike Philips from Autogeek
    me- queue the school girl silent jumping and high pitched squealing.. Um. Yes... hello mike ( in my cool acting casual voice)

so to sum up the convo, mike was just calling everyone on the team before he headed out and i once again had to tell him i was not going to be able to make it. he of course new as Ashley had told him but he had just forgot to take me off his own list, which I don’t blame him as he has a million and one things to do every day, I’m sure removing my name from a call list is at the bottom. He apologizes and wishes me the best and we hang up. One of the best and worst calls ever.

so a week or two go by again and I get another call, its mike again and he tells me that I’ve been moved from the stand by to the varsity team for the SoCal episode and just wanted to make sure everything was still good to go for me to show up. I double and triple check everything and I’m all set for the day. That was the best call ever!!!!!

So they day arrives and I’m nervous as all can be, I’ve read the call sheet a dozen times, making sure I know where to park and where to go. well then comes the panic, as I’m reading I notice in a block separate from the detailers info block that there is a check in time at 8:45, I look at the time and its almost 11am!!! Now I’m thinking OMG I missed it I’m late, this whole time I thought it was noon and it’s not. FML this is horrible all that other stuff and I ruined it by not reading the call sheet. So I send a text out to guz from the call sheet " hey guz its Cruz are you there yet?" At 1043 am and back to queue the teenage girl sitting by the phone... whys he not calling, no text... omg it’s all my fault. The longest 60 seconds of my life later... PING " I’m on my way, about 30 mins away-Guz" OMG thank the Lortt!!!! I’m not late or at least I’m not the only one late (still don’t know)

so half way calmed down I go to try and find the address but it was very well hidden as it should be and I walked around the block twice, while in the process I kept seeing a guy with a detail mafia shirt but figured, Nah that can’t be anyone here to do that as well. (Wrong it was) so I finally find it (I think) and I’m just standing in this what seems to be random hallway waiting. After a few minutes another man walks in and he asks if I’m here for the detail show, I say yes and he tells me he’s the Guz. So we chit chat and more people are showing up and we all just start talking about work, cars and of course detailing.

then at noon on the dot a woman with purplish/pink hair comes out asking if we are the detailers, we all yes yes and she says to follow her, this of course turns out to be the producer Ashley and she leads us through what on the outside is just a normal hallway door leads us into this magical treasure trove of automotive history.

once we went through introductions and were shown around and explained the game plan i think the biggest think that shocked me and i'm sure most everyone else is the process. in my head it was going to be a average detail process. wash, clay, test spots, so on and so forth. but is was far from that. which i should have known better things were done in order to best accommodate the filming and then in the end we all know gets put in order to look as it should. this is a day i will never forget. for me as i've said before it wasn't just about being on the show and meeting Mike and Aj but i really enjoyed meeting the other forum members and fellow detailers that share the same passion as myself. its almost like a an instant bond and no longer with a group of strangers.

watching everything behind the scenes was really neat, i mean you see stuff like that on tv and in movies but being there and seeing all in person was really fun. thank you again AG and Mike for allowing to be on the team and hope to meet up with you guys and other detailers in future events... now time for pics

myself and the man himself the detailing legend "Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’. All we know is he’s called Mike Phillips (top gear)

man i loved these pocket mitts, they were awesome, i need to remember to get some in my next order

AJ could not get over the awesome smell of the pinnacle products, who could blame her.

some of our toys on a griots cart, which has a built in power strip and the handle is heavy duty with extra support trusses

i really wish this was used more, i guess just for the nostalgia

Bruce Meyer doing his walk around and telling us about his beautiful Bently

here's some of the pics i took of the cars in this amazing collection, yes that's is a car elevator.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Competition Ready -The Experience ill never forget

Great write up. Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

haha.. that was a fun read. I totally forgot about AJ and the scent of the Pinnacle products!! Good stuff.

Man, just kicked myself in the butt again. How could I not get all up close and personal with that #63 Vette?!?! grrr.

Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up and photos. Enjoyed reading through it.

You went through some stuff but in the end it all worked out.

Was definitely a great experience when we got there.

Mike Phillips

Nice write up Freddie!

Thanks for taking the pictures and then creating the thread with you experience. That car was a LOT of work but with everyone working together she came out great!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing. My Competition Ready experience was somewhat similar. Takes so many hours of filming to air a few minutes on tv.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm totally loving all of these Competition Ready experience threads, they are SO COOL to read! It's really an awesome experience, I hope they come to NY soon and I get a chance to try out
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing!

So many highs there for a car guy! Awesome collection to visit, plus working on a megabucks vehicle with Mike and some of the other forum guys who share your passion had to make for a day you'll remember forever.

Bill