autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First viewing of Completion Ready

Since I started this thread I'd like to add to it. I have watched all the shows available since seeing the first one. I can see the progress being made and the positive way things are evolving. As a matter of fact I enjoyed the most recent shows quite a bit and look forward to the next one.

Mike....... thank you for commenting on how things actually worked for the initial show. That had to be quite difficult not knowing the outcome or even the theme of the show while you're working hard on the car and under the gun.

Please change the title of this thread to Competition Ready. I put a great deal of thought into my initial post so as not to offend anyone yet still express my opinion. Obviously I went brain dead when I titled it.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Great Conversation on the show. It's wonderful how social media works. I think kevinwelch was the first to offer counter thought that the show is not for people that already detail and are already invested from professional to the hobbyist like me. When I originally read about the show, I certainly thought I would love the show. I, for one, have no interest or time to watch a full detail. I admit, I am slow. A full detail for a car in my house is a two day process if I do not have help.

Some points were made that it needs to be for the masses, and needs to make money. I did feel it was a scolding for how people entered their thoughts.

I don't think any one of us on this forum have any ideas that the show wouldn't be created unless it made financial sense. I'll speak for myself, but, I would be surprised if anyone on this forum had a thought that the show is created to spread the love of our OCD pastime.

I am sure there are target sales goals forecasting revenue from the show for new names and increased sales for product placement in the show and income for commercial time. Everyone involved from the network to sponsors and auto geek.

I will be real clear, this is a good thing.

This is what makes success which pays salary's, funds retirement accounts, and those owners and people buy other products. Which in turn do the same thing for those company's and employees that work there paying salary's, on and on keeping our economy going.

I salute products that are American made, invented, created... I'll start singing soon. No one wants that.

When I first read about the show, I did have thoughts that it would be like the other velocity shows. They do have the people, continuing stories, the subject and of course entertainment. I do DVR a lot of the velocity shows and watch when I can. I also work full time in a non-automotive related job. I am not a Producer either, but I do know what I like to watch. It's all around cars and racing for me. It is also about being real. For me, that is important. I don't know if I am that different from the masses. Whoever they are. I like to think I am one of them.

Think about this:

Americana, Ray is a known hero to many. He is the moderator that gets us into his bosses office and takes us with him to hunt for amazing historical cars. Ray has passion that is real. It's honest. Each episode is amazing on how the story is put together and the historical lesson.

Wayne's show, party on, excellent! Sorry, wrong Wayne. Mr. Carini, this is an incredible mix of barn finds, Rodgers funny comments in the shop, watching Wayne at auctions and understanding from him what his strategy is. One thing I appreciate, his deals are private for what he pays individuals. That is just class. Again, I believe what I am watching.

American Hot Rod, not sure if that is velocity. I think the reruns play on there anyway, the glue for that show for me, are the cars, but the story is really the characters and how they work together and get along. Kind of like Bitchin Rides. How those guys interact. The stories between the cars. Again, both shows seem real. I believe what I hear and see. It is amazing to see what they create in the end, and be human doing it.

Thoughts on the new detailing show, it does not feel real, I would like to see honest and real situations. Because it doesn't feel real, are the products real, can I trust they do what is being said, or not being said? I'm not sure. My comments were around the fact that I don't believe the premise. Seems forced, made up, hokey.
    (Is that even a word, hokey?!?!)

I don't think anyone thought a 4 hour video watching paint dry would be interesting. I'd be shocked if they did. I didn't. I wasn't sure what a detailing show would be. Being a fan of auto geek and a fan of Mike's after discovering him through Autogeek, I was interested and looking forward to the show.

The shows I mentioned previously, will not prepare you to build a car or how to make a living buying and selling cars. They do not always tell you the brand of brakes or radiator that is being used either. I personally was not expecting this show to be different, and go through each product in detail and explain why it was used instead of something else. Something tells me McKee product will normally be the solution. That's not bad, sponsorship, check. But if that's true, what's to watch? I did see some other products.

I am an engaged viewer when, to me, it feels honest. If the show seems to flow naturally. You know what it's going to be about, but not what people's moods are, personal and professional things going on that effect what the show is about. Surprises are part of the story and build the stress, naturally around time.

Go ahead all, rip them apart with what's not real.. Lol.

A format was picked for the show that not all of us bought into. For me, it does not feel real. It is definitely above my pay grade to understand how that effects viewership and forecasted sales. It is also above my pay grade to understand if the masses want shows that are real. Maybe they are just as okay with obvious staged circumstances and staged product then a real natural flow and conversation. I do not think anyone is fooled. Are they?

It doesn't feel like a real circumstance using the bat cave and bat phone for the deal to be made on the car to detail. I love that call out, it is a great image of how I saw it as well. It does not feel like real pressure for the builds. Nothing about it feels real. Even the crew. They are typically nameless beings used to get a pep talk, then we see them in the background. At the end, they stand in a semi circle and clap for making it. Is love to see someone callout, "Mike, where's the berer?". Do I believe that Mike makes his co-host Polish cars? I take that back, that could be true. I'm sure she would be game.

What would be nice:

It would be interesting to know something about the people detailing, what their thoughts and concerns are. What are their thoughts as it progresses? Their thoughts are about what's going on... Is it always the same 'A' team, how do they get there? As one person mentioned, when the camera is on them, they seem stiff. They do not seem like guys working together, loose and having fun detailing. Nothing. Are they instructed to give the thousand yard stare into the chrome and paint?

Really?

Does Bob really fly in at the end of every show saying, "looks like I got here just in time!".

In summary

My criticism might be off. I only wish to make a point that I picked up on that others were echoing. I think anyway. We are not looking for full length documentary films on detailing technique. That's off base.

I would like to see entertainment that is believable. Even if it was not about detailing, I wouldn't buy into this format. It feels to contrived. It feels like a blatant sales pitch. Softening it would be nice.

Mike, I do not know you, but you seem like an upstanding and incredible guy. Social Media is public. While your comments may have been well deserved, I am not sure appropriate. I have never seen a "personality" chastise his core financial base. That is brave. While the show may be about new names, from the masses, the old names are still very important. They have been paying the bills and keeping the lights on with growth and loyalty. In a large part, due to you.

Are you mad at us? I am sorry if I was part of striking a nerve. I wrote this a week ago and sat on it. No need to tell me to re-read your note for its message. I got your points. I do hope you are successful and that detailing keeps a show that gets better and better. It is a great hobby. I work with a lot of people with nice cars. 99% have no inclination to detail themselves. It is a special group. That make time for it.

Take Care and being real, I wish you good luck and your much deserved success for what you have personally done for the hobby. Hats off bro

Post Thanks / Like

The final show was the best of the bunch and a good way to end the season.

I'm sure many lessons were learned by all in the making of the show and what works and does not work. I fully expect changes to the next seasons show.

I was hoping for a "Fast and Loud" type show where both personalities and workmanship was shown. I remember the first season of "Fast and Loud" it needed a lot of work too.

A.J. needs to go. There has to be one or two main characters that viewers can relate to.

Richard Rawlings is a character and is entertaining. The mechanical work is done by secondary characters, even AAron is a secondary character. A time limit or a competition is not necessary, they have continuing episodes (this works so viewers will tune in to the next episode).

Entertainment is more the function than education. If you want education, tune into PBS or learn here or on YouTube. You can have both, but with 20 minutes it's hard to both entertain and educate, so choose one and be good at it.

All Girls Garage is primarily education with pretty girls for entertainment, so it can be done. Like a Mexican weather woman, but who watches her and thinks about the weather?

Good luck with season 2!

And congratulations for getting a show about detailing on TV!

Hurrah!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Like a Mexican weather woman, but who watches her and thinks about the weather?
    The 1st thing that came to mind was "weather balloons"
    See, she's legit + appealing.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only watched one episode of Competition Ready - the one at the Petersen. Based on that experience, I haven't watched another. Please understand, I watch anything with cars, airplanes or mechanical things in it. At least I thought I did until I saw that episode of Competition Ready. Thanks for breaking my addiction to automotive programming.

The problems with the show include:

THE SETUP

After a multi-million dollar remodel, the guys running the Petersen Automotive Museum just plain forgot to detail the multi-million dollar centerpieces of their collection for the BIG GALA GRAND REOPENING. And, they've evidently laid off or fired their own in-house detailers! With only hours to the gala, who ya gonna call? Bob McKee in Stuart Florida! Who? Where? Why? At this point, the show is already more campy than Neil Hamilton, Adam West and the Bat Signal.

You see, dear viewer, Bruce Meyer and Peter Mullin don't know a single local qualified detailer. Wait. Doesn't Bruce have a extensive collection of expensive and desirable cars in Beverly Hills? Doesn't Peter have his own freaking museum in Ventura, California with one of the finest collections of classic French automobiles on the planet? No other Petersen directors could come up with anybody? Isn't Meguiar's headquartered in Irvine, California?

No, with hours to go they reach out to Bob McKee (who?) in Stuart Florida who will assemble a team of experts and get everybody out to Los Angeles.

THE JOB

Instead of focusing on ONE car in 22 minutes, let's work on several so there's absolutely no chance of seeing any detail of the detailing going on.

THE CAST

Oh look, it's AJ. Well, this means I'm watching a Bud Brutsman production because I've never seen her in anything that wasn't produced by her husband. But this show is far to amateurish and the production values are lower than anything Bud's done. AJ doesn't do a damn thing on Competition Ready. At least on Overhaulin' she was part of the gags and actually did a little of the work getting dirty taking the cars apart. On Competition Ready, she's only there to attract and keep male viewers awake to the end of the show. (Note that on the CR show's website, Mike and AJ weren't even photographed together for the splash screen. They were Photoshopped.) If this isn't a Brutsman production, does this mean AJ's divorced????

I recognized a few of the local LA area detailers. I still can't believe nobody at the museum knows Joe Fernandez and didn't call him before dialing Bob McKee (who?).

THE FINALE

They finish just in time for Mike and AJ to change into formal wear and attend the gala. The Petersen's gala is a success because of Bob McKee (who?)!

THE LESSONS

Velocity Channel is starved for programming.

Car guys will watch anything. Well, besides Competition Ready.

PBMA has its own television production company.

Besides the crappy writing, setup and production values, the main problem of Competition Ready is the lack of flaws. Every successful car show is somehow flawed. Wayne Carini has horrible taste in cars. He's drawn to the ugliest and bizarre cars with no following and or known collector base. He expects to get astronomical prices at auction and when they fail miserably he's crestfallen and then immediately adds the buyer's premium to the hammer price to get closer to what he expected. Even though he doesn't get the buyer's premium.

American Hot Rod had two of the most despicable people on earth in starring roles: Boyd Coddington and Duane Mayer. We tuned in to see which employee would be arrested for murder first.

American Chopper starred a family so screwed up it made everybody feel good about their family in comparison. Even if their family's name is Manson.

Even Overhaulin', the show that should have been the blueprint for Competition Ready on how to present technical stuff to the masses, routinely went off the rails by overhauling cars for people who didn't deserve it. Like Lance Armstrong or the soon to be ex-Mrs. Johnny Depp instead regular people. Speaking of regular people, they sure missed the mark with a couple of non-car marks who didn't know a damn thing about cars and didn't appreciate the work done to their cars. And, let's not forget the times Chip Foose just plain struck out with modifications on cars like the Lotus Europa and the Porsche 356.

Competition Ready seems too perfect, like Barry Meguiar's detailer corps. Dressed head to toe in perfectly pressed and perfectly clean black despite slinging compound on a rotary for a job. CR is too neat, too packaged and lacking in detail. The producers need to ask AJ for copies of every Overhaulin' episode and watch them 10 times before attempting to film another episode of their own show. Alternately, they could just hire Bud to do it right.

I don't know if I followed the condescending rules on constructive criticism referred to earlier, but the producers of the show need to know that most criticism comes in the form of pressing the channel button on a remote.

IN CLOSING

Competition Ready doesn't feel right because it's obviously a self promotion for PBMA. I find it hard to believe Velocity would have signed on if Bob McKee (who?) didn't show up with his own built-in sponsorship. It's like watching an F1 race and wondering how the heck that crappy driver got an F1 ride. Oh, daddy owns a muti-national bank and junior showed up with $25 million in sponsorship cash. The producers need to make the self-promotion less obvious.

At the very least, Mike Phillips needs to get the calls for help instead of Bob McKee (who?).

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post

Since I started this thread I'd like to add to it. I have watched all the shows available since seeing the first one. I can see the progress being made and the positive way things are evolving. As a matter of fact I enjoyed the most recent shows quite a bit and look forward to the next one.

Mike....... thank you for commenting on how things actually worked for the initial show. That had to be quite difficult not knowing the outcome or even the theme of the show while you're working hard on the car and under the gun.
    Thanks for continuing to watch the first season and do understand not only does everyone here at Autogeek and our production company read your comments and feedback but we all genuinely appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post

Please change the title of this thread to Competition Ready.

I put a great deal of thought into my initial post so as not to offend anyone yet still express my opinion. Obviously I went brain dead when I titled it.

I've made the change to the title of the thread, it will take me a little time to go through and change the title of each post as each time someone makes a reply the title of the reply copies the title of the thread.

Future posts will reflect the changed title.

As a person that has been posting to the Internet since 1994 and to the forum world since discussion forum software was invented, I've made my share of spelling mistakes. (Usually from typing to fast and thinking too slow. )

Fact is... I didn't notice the spelling mistake until you pointed it out...

It's fixed now.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First viewing of Competition Ready

I'm sure the first season was a learning experience and I really enjoyed the last 2. They became more about the process, which I believe will drive people to detailers who see what is involved.
    Hope the second season goes more that way, congratulations Mike you've worked a long time for this!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by GlazeMan81 View Post

Great Conversation on the show. It's wonderful how social media works.
    Excellent post. Excellent feedback GlazeMan81

Now I'm going to dissect your post and put two sections you wrote that were separated by lots of great comments, suggestions and feedback together.

From the beginning of your post

Some points were made that it needs to be for the masses, and needs to make money. I did feel it was a scolding for how people entered their thoughts.

And then from the end of your post

Mike, I do not know you, but you seem like an upstanding and incredible guy. Social Media is public. While your comments may have been well deserved, I am not sure appropriate. I have never seen a "personality" chastise his core financial base. That is brave. While the show may be about new names, from the masses, the old names are still very important. They have been paying the bills and keeping the lights on with growth and loyalty. In a large part, due to you.

Are you mad at us? I am sorry if I was part of striking a nerve. I wrote this a week ago and sat on it. No need to tell me to re-read your note for its message. I got your points.

I re-read this entire thread and this is just my guess but I think your comments above are referring to the last part of what I wrote in post #27

Below is what I wrote and take a moment to read the portion I made purple.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

This is the first season. As with any new TV show, it's a learning process to see what worked best. Everything about our show worked and somethings worked better than others.

Next comes tweaking and tweaking comes from feedback and that leads me to what I'm going to say next.

Feedback

There's a right way and a wrong way to give feedback. I had to learn how to give feedback. I didn't know how to do it the right way without being taught by others that also had to learn how to do it the right way. Like most people, when I gave feedback 20 years ago I did it the wrong way. Because other people care enough to show me how to give feedback the right way I did what I've always done... I shared what I learned with others by writing an article about it.

Yes. I wrote an article on how to properly give feedback. Feedback is important but your feedback is accepted better when it's presented with balance. And for most of you, I know your intentions are to provide helpful feedback because you care and you're genuinely nice people that would love to see our show be a success and I personally appreciate this.

I can assure everyone that has taken the time to post their feedback to this thread that their feedback is being seen and read by people in the TV world. I would also like to assure everyone that it's never too late to change the way you share feedback moving into the future. And to this point, here's my article on the correct way to give feedback.

A tip on giving constructive feedback...

So thank you to everyone that has participated in this thread and again... I can assure you that your feedback is appreciated and it is being seen and read.

I don't personally feel what I wrote is chastisement. I certainly didn't intend it to be chastisement.

I write very carefully in the forum world. I think out everything I write and choose every single word I use. I think if anyone were to look at all my posts on this forum or any forum the one theme that ties them altogether is they are intended to help people. Most of what I write is to help people get a shiny car. Sometimes what I write is to help people in other ways, like I have an article on how to write a great title for a thread.

The goal is to HELP people, possibly new to discussion forums, on how to write a good title because it is the title that all our stellar forum members see and read and it's the title that determines if someone >clicks< on the thread to read it and then answer the persons questions.

A great title will get great help. A poorly written title might not get any feedback at all.

Here's that article, has nothing to do with car detailing but helping others.

How to write a good title for your thread

The reason I included some information about what I learned from Hewlett-Packard about giving feedback was to help anyone giving feedback. I'm really good at taking negative feedback as I've received a lot of it over the years. So no worries there. But as I pointed out in what I wrote about feedback, OTHER PEOPLE read this and what you want is for them to read your feedback and take you seriously. That is the goal for most of you making a post in this thread - to give your feedback and have it matter.

So I wasn't chastising anyone just sharing that your feedback will be better appreciated if you can find some way to include what you didn't like but to also include what you did like. I don't have a history of chastising or scolding anyone in the 22 years I've been posting to the Internet. That's now how I am.

So apologies if that's how you took what I wrote but it's certainly not what I meant. My goal was to simply help by providing a tip I learned from someone else a long time ago that I think makes good sense and since learning the correct way to give feedback I practice it myself to this day.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this subject and moving forward, while I am very careful with my writing style I turn the dial up to 11 and do my best to make sure whatever it is I write is both helpful and clear.

Now onto some other comments you made...

What would be nice:

It would be interesting to know something about the people detailing, what their thoughts and concerns are. What are their thoughts as it progresses? Their thoughts are about what's going on... Is it always the same 'A' team, how do they get there? As one person mentioned, when the camera is on them, they seem stiff. They do not seem like guys working together, loose and having fun detailing. Nothing. Are they instructed to give the thousand yard stare into the chrome and paint?

Really?

Does Bob really fly in at the end of every show saying, "looks like I got here just in time!".

In summary

My criticism might be off. I only wish to make a point that I picked up on that others were echoing. I think anyway. We are not looking for full length documentary films on detailing technique. That's off base.

I would like to see entertainment that is believable. Even if it was not about detailing, I wouldn't buy into this format. It feels to contrived. It feels like a blatant sales pitch. Softening it would be nice.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, I can guarantee you your comments are being read.

I do hope you are successful and that detailing keeps a show that gets better and better.
    Thank you.

Every TV show goes through an evolution. You start with a clean sheet of paper and go from there. We are at the beginning of the evolution.

Take Care and being real, I wish you good luck and your much deserved success for what you have personally done for the hobby. Hats off bro

Thank you again. I have invested my entire life into the car detailing industry starting out like everyone else washing and waxing mom and dad's cars and then traveling through a very winding road to where I'm at now working for Bob McKee at Autogeek. I'd like to close this post with this thought...

To date - no one else in this industry has taken the risk to start a brand new TV show on car care and car detailing except for Bob McKee. Sure there's a financial reward for Bob due to the success of the show. But what Bob has done is benefiting the entire car care industry. The ratings for the first season of our show are up 25% in our time slots over last year. That's huge. It's even more significant that the ratings are up this strong with the 18 to 34 year old males.

If you're a member of this forum or even reading this post as a lurker, chances are very good that you already know a LOT about proper car care and proper car detailing including paint correction, paint polishing and even cutting edge technology like ceramic and quarts paint coatings. The masses don't know any of these things.

What Bob McKee and this TV show is doing is raising the awareness and knowledge level of the average person on the topics of professional car detailing and this benefits everyone that details for money and even for fun and it also benefits any company in the car appearance industry.

Bob has done more for me and my career than anyone and for this I'm very grateful and he knows this. I come to work early, stay late and give 100% every minute of every day no matter what project I'm working on in the moment and I'm truly lucky and also blessed to be a part of Autogeek and Competition Ready.

And I like to share the blessing as that's also what I do. I have not taken an exact head count but I'll guess I've invited up to 100 other people to be a part of this TV show. I can't think of another show that has done this? And our production company gave them all due credit with their names, history and even business names. I've also never seen this on any other show.

By all measures, our first season has been a complete success. It's also been a huge learning experience. Take my word for it.. we love your feedback because it's valuable for making changes. So thank you to everyone that has taken the time to voice their opinion in this thread and I encourage anyone that's been holding back to >click< that button that says, [Reply to Thread] and share your thoughts. Your comments, feedback and suggestions are definitely being read and considered.

Every TV show goes through an evolution. We're at the very beginning of the evolution.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post

I'm sure the first season was a learning experience and I really enjoyed the last 2. They became more about the process,

which I believe will drive people to detailers who see what is involved.

I agree and that's what I was saying in my previous post how Bob McKee is helping to raise the respect level the status and hopefully the income level of the professional detailing industry.

Anyone reading this knows what a hack detailer is. Everyone reading this knows there's a HUGE difference between the guy with a wash mitt and a bucket and a guy that owns all any of the modern high quality dual action orbital polishes, pro-grade products and can take some other guy's hack job and restore a better-than-new show car finish.

The masses don't know this and you guys know it.

Anyone that has ever taken a phone call from someone asking to get their car detailed and then after you tell them what you charge you hear them say,

"Wow! How come so much?"

You know that what they don't understand is the time that goes into a proper detail and the expense of using quality tools, pads, products and yes, even high quality microfiber towels. So the big picture effect is what Bob McKee is doing is benefiting the entire industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post

Hope the second season goes more that way, congratulations Mike you've worked a long time for this!
    Thank you Mike. Even thought it was 10 years ago it feel like it was just yesterday that we held a detailing class at your shop.

Pictures & Comments from Reisterstown, Maryland

I wonder if anyone that attended this class is still detailing cars besides you?

Post Thanks / Like

I've made the change to the title of the thread, it will take me a little time to go through and change the title of each post as each time someone makes a reply the title of the reply copies the title of the thread.

Future posts will reflect the changed title.

As a person that has been posting to the Internet since 1994 and to the forum world since discussion forum software was invented, I've made my share of spelling mistakes. (Usually from typing to fast and thinking too slow. )

Fact is... I didn't notice the spelling mistake until you pointed it out...
    Thank you friend, I do appreciate it.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast