autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First viewing of Completion Ready

For what it's worth, the most recent show with the Amelia Island prep of the '33 Rolls DID seem to have a lot more "how-to" or at least explanations of the process.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    For what it's worth, the most recent show with the Amelia Island prep of the '33 Rolls DID seem to have a lot more "how-to" or at least explanations of the process.
    Agreed. Noticed that as well. Perhaps the show is finding it's way based on continual feedback and ratings.

Sent via my mobile device...

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    If you re-read what I wrote, it was from your point of view. That's why I made the post. I too was thinking there would be more how-to info but what I shared above kind of says what I discovered AFTER watching the first rough-cut. And then after watching the show and then after watching all the rough-cuts and shows. Then I saw the show through the producer's point of view... not a "detailers" point of view.

Take a re-read of what I wrote... I actually wasn't trying to explain anything to you specifically, just using your comments to interject and provide some insight to this thread.

Hope that makes sense....

I was also trying to share with people a way to share feedback so that it's not just negative info. It's okay to say what you don't like but try to balance it with something you did like. Not for me but for all the people that will be reading this.

Mike, You are 100% correct about the positive and negative feedback and I would like to apologize for the feedback I left. My comment was not concerning you or your comrades, it was more the way it was all more scripted than any show or video I've seen you in before.I understand it's all a learning process for the producers and AG and I'm sure you guys have all worked your tails off to make this show a go.
    My comment was a moot attempt at sarcasm that was undo in retrospect. I guess some of us were expecting a show similar to what we were used seeing to in the videos,but I understand the entertainment aspect of having to give people a story to follow.
    I normally do not post feedback like this Mike, I am the easiest going fellow you will ever meet, but I made a mistake....

I wish nothing but the best for you,AG and Velocity in the coming months, keep up the great work !

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike and TV dudes and Ladies I think it would be a nice touch and sufficient to have a "detailers tip of the day" and just show how to overcome a single obstacle without drowning the whole show in a step by step process. Your right, its boring lol!

But then there is the risk of lets say wet sanding a scratch, you know what will happen with that, so I suspect it will still be a very general tip and most of us will want something more intricate.

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in...

I read every comment in this forum group. Bob McKee also reads ever comment in this forum group. Your feedback is appreaciated especially when it's balanced with both constructive and negative instead of just negative. (I think I have an article on this topic somewhere)

So thank you to everyone that has posted their feedback and keep it coming.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JeffM View Post

Hey Mike and TV dudes and Ladies I think it would be a nice touch and sufficient to have a "detailers tip of the day" and just show how to overcome a single obstacle without drowning the whole show in a step by step process.

Your right, its boring lol!
    And we agree with you and the topic of a "Dedicated tip segment" has been discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffM View Post

But then there is the risk of lets say wet sanding a scratch, you know what will happen with that, so I suspect it will still be a very general tip and most of us will want something more intricate.
    I know a lot about wet sanding. Besides teaching both how to hand sand and machine sand more important - what I know is 99.9% of the population is NEVER going to wet sand. Never.

I also know wet sanding in the detailing world is much to do about bragging rights. Sure it's a GREAT SKILL to possess and when needed nothing can replace it. That said, from experience most people are never going to wet sand an entire car like I show here,

How to wet sand a car in 8 minutes

The above is a time-lapse video of course but that was the real deal. Including,

• Wiping the car down with Preps-All.
    • Taping off all the raised body lines and edges.
    • Machine sanding with #3000 in both 6" and 3" discs
    • Machine sanding with #5000 in both 6" and 3" discs
    • Compounding with Meguiar's M100 Pro Speed Compound with a wool pad on a rotary buffer
    • Remove holograms left by the wool pad using M205 with a foam pad on a rotary buffer
    • Show car polishing using Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish with a Porter Cable and a foam finishing pad.
    • Machine waxing with Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax and the Porter Cable 7424XP.

It took me 12 hours without any breaks to go from start to finish and I worked hard and fast.

Again - 99.9% of the population will never wet sand a complete car. The few that do wet sand will do a small section involved with some type of rock chip repair or other repair and chances are good they'll screw it up.

Besides all of the above I also know there's a fascination with the "idea" of wet sanding and that a lot of guys want to know how to do it even though in the real world they'll never wet sand an entire car.

In my detailing classes I teach both hand sanding and machine sanding and I tell the students that after they learn how to do it correctly they'll never want to do it for money in the real world and I'd say the majority of them, after sanding and buffing, agree. But now that they've learned what it takes they can hold an intelligent conversation on the topic and that is just as important as actually doing the work.

Post Thanks / Like

I just wish I had that channel so I could watch the show... I think I'd like it because I love anything that involves detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I just wish I had that channel so I could watch the show... I think I'd like it because I love anything that involves detailing.
    Yea your missing out....not to mention all the other shows. If your a car guy the velocity is where its at!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    And we agree with you and the topic of a "Dedicated tip segment" has been discussed.

I know a lot about wet sanding. Besides teaching both how to hand sand and machine sand more important - what I know is 99.9% of the population is NEVER going to wet sand. Never.

I also know wet sanding in the detailing world is much to do about bragging rights. Sure it's a GREAT SKILL to possess and when needed nothing can replace it. That said, from experience most people are never going to wet sand an entire car like I show here,

How to wet sand a car in 8 minutes

The above is a time-lapse video of course but that was the real deal. Including,

• Wiping the car down with Preps-All.
    • Taping off all the raised body lines and edges.
    • Machine sanding with #3000 in both 6" and 3" discs
    • Machine sanding with #5000 in both 6" and 3" discs
    • Compounding with Meguiar's M100 Pro Speed Compound with a wool pad on a rotary buffer
    • Remove holograms left by the wool pad using M205 with a foam pad on a rotary buffer
    • Show car polishing using Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish with a Porter Cable and a foam finishing pad.
    • Machine waxing with Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax and the Porter Cable 7424XP.

It took me 12 hours without any breaks to go from start to finish and I worked hard and fast.

Again - 99.9% of the population will never wet sand a complete car. The few that do wet sand will do a small section involved with some type of rock chip repair or other repair and chances are good they'll screw it up.

Besides all of the above I also know there's a fascination with the "idea" of wet sanding and that a lot of guys want to know how to do it even though in the real world they'll never wet sand an entire car.

In my detailing classes I teach both hand sanding and machine sanding and I tell the students that after they learn how to do it correctly they'll never want to do it for money in the real world and I'd say the majority of them, after sanding and buffing, agree. But now that they've learned what it takes they can hold an intelligent conversation on the topic and that is just as important as actually doing the work.

Wet sanding is how I got started detailing and buying supplies at AG. My 64 Galaxie had just been repainted and it was a terrible paint job,lot of orange peel,etc.

I watched with Mike in the 1969 AMX Wetsanding Videos and followed it step by step and wetsanded my whole car.

Nebraska Help in the Heartland Project

It was a job that's for sure, but it was very rewarding, it taught me to use the Flex 3401 and PC 7424 XP polisher.

I was hooked on detailing after that and I haven't looked at paint the same way since.

Mike,this forum and it's members were a great help also.....

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lehr View Post
    Wet sanding is how I got started detailing and buying supplies at AG. My 64 Galaxie had just been repainted and it was a terrible paint job,lot of orange peel,etc.

I watched with Mike in the 1969 AMX Wetsanding Videos and followed it step by step and wetsanded my whole car.

Nebraska Help in the Heartland Project

It was a job that's for sure, but it was very rewarding, it taught me to use the Flex 3401 and PC 7424 XP polisher.

I was hooked on detailing after that and I haven't looked at paint the same way since.

Mike,this forum and it's members were a great help also.....

Wow!

Thanks for sharing your story.

I have to wonder how many people watched that video where we completely sanded down the black 1969 AMX and then buffed it out to perfection and then used what they learned from the video to tackle their own project but here's the key...

Never shared their story

Thank you for sharing your story - it makes all that hard work we did on the AMX worth it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast