autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black Friday/Cyber Monday Transit Times

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    That thing you Canucks do with having it sent somewhere close to the border on the US side and driving down to pick it up, how does that work? You have to have a friend, or there are companies that provide the service? And what happens when you cross back over the border? You don't get any questions? This is to avoid the import duties? It just seems they (the CAN gov't) would be smart enough to close that loophole and make you pay the duty when you carry it across the border, just like if you bring it through the airport.
    No loopholes. I travel a fair bit internationally so I have a Nexus card, which works at all Canada/US land and water crossings as well as at all Canadian airports with US CBP pre-clearance. Nexus has made air travel infinitely easier for many thousands of people like me over the last five-plus years. I say all that to make it clear that I don't dare jeopardize my "trusted traveler" status by making false declarations and trying to bring undeclared goods across.

Yes, there are many small warehouses that work a lot like the UPS Store (fka Mailboxes Etc.) or Kinkos, providing mail and package receipt services for a fee. I also have my own USPS PO box in the same border town as the little warehouse. The main reason a Canadian resident would go through this trouble would be to save big on purchases compared to what's charged by Canadian merchants, and then also to save on shipping and brokerage fees.

I make purchases and have them shipped, then go pick a bunch of them up at once. The warehouse is about 50 miles door to door from my house, so figure about $6 for diesel in my little clown car for the round trip. I print most receipts before I go down, and declare everything to Canadian customs. Sometimes I'll also do my groceries at Price Chopper and save a bit there, too. I wind up paying Canadian federal and provincial sales taxes and most of my purchases, but rarely if ever pay any duties -- last time was on a copper cooking pot made in France. Occasionally, I'll say maybe once every five or six trips, I'll just get waved through without having to pay a cent.

I don't buy everything this way, only stuff that I can make sure will still be cheaper after I take all the extra costs and hassles into account. Most often it's stuff that's not easily available locally, or that is offered at an absolute bargain price in the States compared to Canada.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I got a back order notice for one of my items (1Z De-icer spray) - so it's holding up my whole order.
    Looks like it came in: An excellent customer service review

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    No loopholes.
    Thanks for the explanation. I know when we have to ship stuff to Canada for work it's a nightmare, and of course there are all the forum stories about it.

Post Thanks / Like

The savings are worth the wait!

Thanks AGO staff!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    The savings are worth the wait!

Thanks AGO staff!
    Agreed. Considering Trailer loads of orders going out, I think it's still a great turn around time.
    ON the topic, traveling on the interstate between Harrisburg, PA and N.J., the amounts of Fed Ex and UPS 18 wheelers was staggering. It appears that the companies are using private folks too. We did see many of the trailers with company and independent cabs. Had to be well over a dozen for each company. Normally one or two is the norm...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rms64 View Post
    Well, some of us can

I will admit to calling AG on a Saturday morning and driving down to pick stuff up later on the same day. Some benefits to living in Orlando.
    Wow, isn't that drive an hour and a half away. And people think I'm nuts about this hobby. Your lucky to be so close.

Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

I placed 2 fairly large orders from upstate NY. One was Friday. Then when I saw the other deal on saturday asked myself if I forgot something or could use anything else .....yup. Getting 1 package today and one tuesday I love opening packages , just hate all the peanut packing. So messy! Any plans on changing that?

Post Thanks / Like

Dang, I havent gotten either of mine yet here in Upstate. Lucky!!!
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

I was just getting ready to create a new thread wondering where my order was . I only live an hour away and usually get it the next day.

Actually, I am in no hurry. It has been rainy here anyway and I am just glad to have gotten a nice deal on everything. Glad to hear they had a lot of success.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got an email from AG with shipping notification via UPS, and one from the sister site via Fedex.
    Now the fun starts seeing which of them two delivers faster.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast