autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Mobile Tech Expo 2014 - Class Schedule

Mobile Tech Expo 2014 - Class Schedule

I received the class schedule for Mobile Tech Expo this year, lots of classes by lots of very talented people.

Here's the times and topics for the classes I'll be teaching...

Class 1 - How to Use The Flex 3401
    9:00-9:45am
    Room: Curacao 3

For both production detailing as well as, and show car detailing. There are a lot of tool options available for making money detailing cars. Each type or category of tool has its strong points and its short coming.

In this class you will learn how to turn the Flex 3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher into your own money making machine for doing both production detailing and show car detailing.

Buffing out the fender skirts of a 1957 Chevy Bel Air with the Flex 3401

Class 2 - How to use the Rotary Buffer
    11:00-11:45am
    Room: Curacao 3 & 4

The rotary buffer is without a doubt, the most powerful tool there is for machine polishing cars, trucks, boats and Motorhomes. It’s the tool of choice for removing sanding marks after wetsanding an entire car or an isolated repair.

The rotary buffer is also to blame for the majority of all the holograms you see all too often in freshly detailed cars by Dealerships, Body Shops and “yes” even supposedly Professional Detailers.

In this class you will learn tips and techniques gained over a lifetime from using the rotary buffer including compounding with wool pads, polishing with foam pads and jewelling paint for a hologram-free finish.

Using a rotary buffer to remove sanding marks on a 1965 Mustang Fastback

Removing deeper swirls and scratches out of a 2000 Lotus Esprit

Removing fiber holograms using a 3.5" foam pad with 3 extensions on a Flex PE14

Class 3 - How to Wetsand by Hand or Machine
    1:00-1:45pm

Wetsanding is a process used to remove orange peel, surface texture and other defects to create a flawless show car finish with maximum D.O.I. or Distinction of Image.

It’s also a process used to remove deep, serious swirls and scratches using very fine grits like #3000, #4000 and #5000 sanding discs which level the defects without subjecting the paint to heat.

After learning techniques for both hand sanding and machine sanding you’ll learn how to remove the sanding marks to restore a high gloss finish without leaving any holograms behind.

Hand sanding the inset on the hood of a 1965 Mustang Fastback

Machine sanding the Joker Truck

Class 4 - How to use the Porter Cable For both production detailing and show car detailing
    2:00-2:45pm
    Room Curacao 3 & 4

The Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher is the tool that changed the way cars are buffed and waxed starting back in the early 1990s. Since then millions of cars have been taken from a swirled out eye sore to a show car finish using this simple and easy to use tool.

It’s one of the most versatile tools you can own since you can,

• Machine wetsand with it.
    • Do heavy correction with compounds.
    • Polish the paint to a super high gloss.
    • Machine apply car waxes and paint sealants.
    • Mechanically decontaminate paint using the Nanoskin. Autoscrub Pads.
    • Remove Orange Peel using the CarPro Denim Pads.
    • You can even remove the wax with this tool.
    So as you can see it's a VERY versatile tool that should be in everyone's tool arsenal.

It’s also lightweight, easy to hold and Porter Cable quality means it will never let you down. Plus there are more pads, compounds, polishes and waxes made for use with this tool than probably any other tool.

It’s also the easiest tool to learn how to use and master making it the perfect tool for anyone new to machine polishing. Because it oscillates the buffing pads instead of only rotating the pads you can’t burn through the paint or instill swirls.

Class 5 - Isolated Scratch Removal
    3:00-3:45pm

Showing the Griot’s Garage 3” polisher and the new Rupes 3” Polisher to remove the sanding marks.

With the introduction of high quality, ultra-fine grit sanding discs, you can now remove isolated defects by safely sanding them out and then safely removing your sanding marks using the same tool.

You will learn tips and techniques for machine wet sanding and then how to quickly remove all traces of the sanding procedures using microfiber pads, foam pads, compounds and polishes.

Performed correctly, no one will ever know there was a defect in the paint or that the area was sanded and buffed.

Sanding out an isolated scratch on a 1934 Ford Pickup with a Blown 426 Hemi

Bigger and better each year!

This is my 4th year at Mobil Tech and it's always a pleasure to meet old friends and make new friends.

Pictures from Mobile Tech Expo 2010

Meguiar's Unigrit Machine Sanding Class - First year Unigrit Discs were available

Poor Rental Car...

Hope to see a lot of you at MTE this year and if you don't get to one of my classes please stop by the Autogeek booth as I'll be there with Ray, Todd Helme and Meghan through the end of the show on Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobile Tech Expo 2014 - Class Schedule

hmmmm mike your leaving the usa going to curacao....

Post Thanks / Like

I will be there for sure just a few minutes from home, wot wot!!!!

Question Mike,
    I paid the admission fee online, this include the education day??

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by pikiki View Post

I will be there for sure just a few minutes from home, wot wot!!!!
    Cool looking forward to meeting you. I really like meeting the people I talk with on the forum as it's nice to put a face to an Avatar.

Question Mike,

I paid the admission fee online, this include the education day??

I think so but I'll check.

Post Thanks / Like

ooo thanks mike i found it orlando i c if i can make it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Cool looking forward to meeting you. I really like meeting the people I talk with on the forum as it's nice to put a face to an Avatar.

LOL OK...

Thanks Mike see ya there!!!

Me on service.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mobile Tech Expo 2014 - Class Schedule-188595_1897950574508_5795765_n-2-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Would love to be there to meet the great Mike Phillips!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by axel06 View Post

ooo thanks mike i found it orlando i c if i can make it
    It will be good to see you again and hear if attending my September Detailing Boot Camp Class has helped your business.

Thanks Mike see ya there!!!

Me on service.

Looking forward to it...

Mike Phillips

Have all tools, pads, products and supplies packed and ready to go for Thursday's classes...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Woob View Post

Would love to be there to meet the great Mike Phillips!

I'm just a blue collar working class dog like most Americans...

You going?

We're loading up today and leaving sometime tomorrow. I'm finishing my power point presentations today and I know Todd Helme is doing the same.

I have a lot of really cool tips and techniques to share in my classes. A lot of this is also the stuff I go over in my Detailing Boot Camp Classes.

In the past my classes have been very well attended, Kevin Halewood, the Show Director and the man behind MTE told me my classes are always the fullest by head count but I wouldn't know for sure as I don't get time to attend the other classes.

I see for 4 of my 5 classes though they're giving me two rooms instead of one.

Now that's a little nerve wracking....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast