autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Wayne Carini at Autogeek's Cars & Coffee on Saturday December 13th

Wayne Carini at Autogeek's Cars & Coffee on Saturday December 13th

That's right! Wayne Carini will be our special guest here in person at our December Cars & Coffee!

Wayne Carini host of Chasing Classic Cars on Velocity Channel

What is cars and coffee?

Autogeek's Cars & Coffee is a time of fellowship among fellow car enthusiasts as well as a family oriented event and of course there will be coffee, pastries and cold drinks too!

All cars are welcome, if you like then bring it and share it with everyone else...

Hot Coffee!

Cool cars!

Cars & Coffee Tech Session
    There will be a Tech Session covering a different topic about car detailing at each Saturday Cars & Coffee inside Autogeek's Show Car Garage. The tech sessions start at approximately 9:00am and go to about 9:30am.

And be sure to like us on our cars & coffee Facebook page!

Autogeek's Cars & Coffee Facebook page

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wayne Carini at Autogeek's Cars & Coffee on Saturday December 13th

Santa's coming....... I know him i know him.... Santa.....

Post Thanks / Like

Should be another great Saturday morning!

Mike Phillips

Here's some pictures from Cars & Coffee at Autogeek with Wayne Carini. My co-worker Jeff took 393 pictures from this Saturday show. I'm just taking a portion of them and posting them in the order they were taken.

This is around 7:00am and local car guys are just starting to show up...

Here's the car to be unvieled....

Here's Wayne and Bob arriving, Wayne is behind Bob as they're walking into the new Show Car Garage Studio....

Travis and James helping with parking all the cool cars...

One sweet 1956 Chevy, the owner is a regular reader of our forum and Autogeek customer and his paint as well as the rest of the car area always show ready!

Here's Wayne and me walking the line talking to local car buddies.... this is Earl's 1940 Panel Delivery that we buffed out here,

Pictures: 1940 Ford Panel Delivery - Secret Project

Here's Wayne and Gene. Gene owns the beautiful 1963 Corvette Split Window they're standing next to.

Coffee and pastries are sure popular on a brisk morning....

Starting to get crowded

Here's my buddy Mark flying in via helicopter....

Landing in the field right out in front of the show....

From left to right...

Lenny, Mark, Wayne, Bob and me...

Wayne and me...

Mike Phillips

Yance had the Autogeek Drone in the sky for Saturday's show!

Our copter and Mark's copter!

That's my buddy Craig talking with Wayne....

Filling up with cool cars and lots of local car guys....

Didn't get this guy's name but he had a story for Wayne....

This is Bob talking to Bill. Bill let us use his car for the Tech Session at the November Cars & Coffee show....

1954 Hudson Convertible - Rupes Extreme Makeover - Live Broadcast

Here's the top secret car in the studio still waiting to be unvieled....

Here you can see the new enlarged Show Car Garage Studio! We blew out the North wall and now the studio is more than twice the size!

Here's Wayne and Bob talking about the project....

Carini Restored 1966 Mustang!
    Here's the secret under the car! This is Bob's 1966 Mustang Convertible that his Aunt purchased new. This car has had a 100% complete restoration at Wayne's restoration shop. The fit and finish and overall quality of this restoration is unmatched anywhere.

A flawless show car finish by Wayne Carini and Pinnacle Natural Brilliance
    I stepped in to encourage everyone to inspect the car closely when it's moved outside because this car has an absolutely flawless, swirl-free finish from Wayne's shop.

Wayne's show uses all Pinnacle products and after wet sanding the paint on this car was compounded using Pinnacle Advanced Compound and then polished using Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish and then waxed (after 30 days had passed), using Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax.

Mike Phillips

Special Guest - Alfred Marino

Alfred is a Pro Detailer and a good friend of mine. He attended one of the first detailing boot camp classes here at Autogeek. Alfred is the main character in the book Listening Pays by Rick Bommelge and through this book Alfred's story about his loss of hearing as a young child to today where he can now hear through recent technological breakthroughs is shared in a way that teaches how to be a better listener and all the many ways it pays to learn how to listen, not just here but really listen.

Both Bob and I have read this book and we both agree this is a must-read book. After you read this book not only will you become a much better listener but you'll also be able to identify anyone who hasn't read the book simply by paying attention to their listening skills.

Note: In the background you can see some Autogeek staff wearing microfiber gloves as they push Bob's 1966 Mustang out of the studio to make room for the upcoming Tech Session.

Alfred and me talking about his story

In the background you can see the guys pushing in the 1998 Ferrari 355 F1 Spyder. The reason we pushed the Mustang out and pushed the Ferrari in is to avoid any exhaust fumes from building up inside the studio.

Bob wraps up the session and introduces the Tech Session which will be with the Ferrari 355 F1 Spyder.

Alfred Marino Facebook Page

Mike Phillips

Tech Session

How to create a show car finish on a Ferrari with Pinnacle compounds, polishes and waxes!

In this shot I'm explaining how this 1987 Ferrari GTS 328 came to Autogeek completely swirled out and how we fixed it to create a liquid wet shimmer that you see in the two pictures below.

Now we're going to demonstrate LIVE on camera and in front of about 150 people how to do this type of work on the blue Ferrari.

Detailing Clay
    First is to explain how to inspect the paint on any car for both contaminants and swirls. For contaminants we felt the paint with our hands and then we used the baggie test. Our inspection showed us the paint had contamination.

To remove the contamination we're going to use Pinnacle Ultra Poly Detailing Clay with Pinnacle Clay Lube. What I'm doing here is showing how to knead the clay bar into a patty for use when claying paint.

Rubbing the clay over the paint....

Then I had Robert and Alfred feel the side I clayed and the side that was not clayed and share what they felt with the audience.

The side I clayed was now smooth and clean while the side I didn't clay was still rough, like sandpaper.

Clay Results

Here's the contamination coming off of JUST a portion of one half of the hood....

If the paint on a Ferrari needs to be clayed.... how about your car?

When is the last time you clayed your car? When is the last time you inspected the finish using the Baggie Test?

Click the link below to learn how to use the Baggie Test to inspect your car's paint.

The Baggie Test - How to inspect for above surface bonded contaminants

Mike Phillips

Inspecting for swirls
    Next we inspected the paint for swirls using a swirl finder light as well as the overhead florescent lights and the flash from my camera.

Florescent lights...

No flash overhead shot....

Overhead shot with flash from my camera...

As you can see the finish on the Ferrari is filled with swirls and scratches. An exotic car like this should have a true show car finish to showcase the sexy body lines.

Here Yancy uses his camera to capture the swirls.

The Flex 3401 Gear-driven, forced rotation, forced oscillation dual action polisher
    In this shot I'm demonstrating the difference between a Porter Cable 7424XP and then the Flex 3401 to show the audience just how much brute power the Flex 3401 has over the Porter Cable. The Flex cost more money but you get what you pay for and in the professional detailing world, the body shop industry, (Wayne uses the Flex 3401 at his body shop), for for Do-it-Yourselfers, (most of the audience), time is money and you can remove swirls and create a show car finish faster with a Flex 3401 than you can with a Porter Cable.

Now we're going to set the Porter Cable aside and show what the Flex 3401 can do....

Next up... the results....

Mike Phillips

Here's a few pictures showing the results. Some are from using overhead florescent lights and some using the flash from my camera.

Now all we have to do is the rest of the car!

Mike Phillips

After the Tech Session at Autogeek's Cars & Coffee there's usually an autograph session as well as a chance to purchase any of my how-to books and get them signed at the show. There were also all types of Autogeek gear as well as Wayne Carini t-shirts.

Wayne Carini host of "Chasing Classic Cars" and Bob McKee owner and CEO of Autogeek

Wayne Carini in Autogeek's iVan

If you couldn't be here that's okay, you can still get a Wayne Carini T-shirt plus Autogeek gear here....

Wayne Carini Chasing Classic Cars T-Shirt – Gray

Wayne Carini Chasing Classic Cars T-Shirt – Blue

Autogeek Gear