autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Why you want a SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light - Initial Inspection, Final Inspection and everything in-between!

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post

Good Luck with that!

As an old painter I can say that matching an existing texture has a lot more to do with the paint application than any sanding/polishing steps. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that texture matching has to be done during the paint application.
    Good point but that oppurtuniy has already come and gone...

Lighter paint applications have a tighter center-to-center distance between the peaks and valleys of the orange peel while heavier applications will have a greater distance between those peaks and valleys. If these distances vary from the original existing finish there is no amount of sanding/polishing that will change that thus the texture is never going to match perfectly.
    Completely understand the issue but have to say, you did a great job of using words to explain the issue. As someone that writes a lot... I know how difficult it can be to adequetly describe an issue or topic using only a keyboard. I'll remember your post as I may quote you in the future. (I never steal other guys work but always give due credit where credit is due as a way of life).

I'm sure you've done enough of these kind of jobs that your, and your customer's, expectations are set accordingly.

You bet I did.
    I explained in great detail what the issues was and then 100% absolutely lower his expectations for the outcome.

I have experience in setting people's expectations as this is a topic that comes up often with fixing rock chips. If you click the link below and read my how-to article on how to fix rock chips check out what I wrote in post #9

How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

DON'T promise your customer they'll never be able to see where the rock chips were... because it's not that type of perfectionist work.

[B
    It's vitally important that you set your customer's expectations accordingly. [/B]

If a person never wants to see where the rock chips were... tell them to get a paint job.

Not to take this thread too far off-topic but at this point there's nothing to lose. Stay tuned for that the thread on this project as I'll be sharing a new product for this type of work plus showcasing the SCANGRIP Multi Match light.

Mike Phillips

Re: Why you want a SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light - Initial Inspection, Final Inspection and everything in-between!

For anyone reading this into the future, here's the link to my original review with tons of information about the tool as well as high resolution pictures showing this tool in action.

SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light - Product Review by Mike Phillips

Also just to note, SCANGRIP has come on as a sponsor of our TV show and you'll see the SCANGRIP Sunmatch in use on AJ's 1968 Firebird.

AJ's 1968 Firebird

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    ... Completely understand the issue but have to say, you did a great job of using words to explain the issue. As someone that writes a lot... I know how difficult it can be to adequetly describe an issue or topic using only a keyboard. I'll remember your post as I may quote you in the future. (I never steal other guys work but always give due credit where credit is due as a way of life)...
    Thanks! I've done my share of technical writing in one of my other careers as an aerospace quality engineer. You don't know how many times I've tried to interpret technical specifications only to finally realize how poorly written they are. Clarity is paramount and something I strive for. I'm not always successful but I do give it my best shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.

Yes.

Astro Pneumatic is known in the body shop industry as selling cheap, knock off tools.

Autogeek doesn't sell this light and not only do I prefer to share and discuss the products and tools sold on the Autogeek store as it is the store that supports this forum but it's also my responsibility to the company.

In case you haven't read the forum rules yet, here's the link...

Forum Rules

Just a heads up...

Thanks for the heads up. I was not trying to promote them, sorry that it came out that way astro indeed looks like cheap 1-1 copy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    ... AJ looks stunning and perfect. ...
    There...I fixed it for you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMM View Post
    There...I fixed it for you!
    That too. Hahaha! Nice!!!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Mike Phillips

Good Luck with that!

As an old painter I can say that matching an existing texture has a lot more to do with the paint application than any sanding/polishing steps.

Finished.

Juan brought his Mercedes-Benz in at 5:00pm sharp just like planned. Frank aka FrankS and I hand sanded with the new Griot's #2500 finishing papers then removed our sanding marks and polished the black paint till it shines like a mirror.

We were Uber careful and just BARELY sanded, just enough to knock off the tops of the hills and then stopped. To me it looks like a good match. I took pictures so stay tuned for a full write-up but not in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Finished.

Juan brought his Mercedes-Benz in at 5:00pm sharp just like planned. Frank aka FrankS and I hand sanded with the new Griot's #2500 finishing papers then removed our sanding marks and polished the black paint till it shines like a mirror.

We were Uber careful and just BARELY sanded, just enough to knock off the tops of the hills and then stopped. To me it looks like a good match. I took pictures so stay tuned for a full write-up but not in this thread.

If everyone involved is happy... That's what really matters.

Were you just doing a panel or two?

I'll look forward to your pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Question.

I picked one of these up from AG and a couple of weeks ago I finally had a chance to use it. I love the light but don't like that the battery level bars only light up when it's on the charger. Is that the only way to check the battery level?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FocusSTguy View Post

Question.

I picked one of these up from AG and a couple of weeks ago I finally had a chance to use it.

I love the light but don't like that the battery level bars only light up when it's on the charger.

Is that the only way to check the battery level?
    Keen observation. I noticed this too.

I send all the links to all my write-ups to Jason at InnovativeTools.com so at least he'll see your feedback.

To my knowledge, the only way to check the battery level is to place it in the battery charger.

The good news is the battery life is excellent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast