autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Post Your Detail Shop and WIN!

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    Jeremy,

I would love a garage like yours. That floor is spotless. Looks like you will have a helper in a few years. Give that kid a Nano and let him go to town! He would be a great wheel and wheel wells guy. Those arms can get into places we could never dream.
    Thank you sir!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 52633Attachment 52634

These 2 pictures; one being in the neighboring city parking garage where I primarily work and the second, usually for smaller projects my home.

My experience really was a journey into and through this lifestyle.

Nearly 3 years ago I would be surprised (somewhat surprised) with a Nissan Altima 2014. It would be my 1st car. Detailed by dad with LSP Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 . Keep in mind, I have never washed a car before. I am for the 1st week 4 or 5 times a day and night looking for any spec to wipe anything that falls on my car. My dad sees me one day and asks "son is that a paper towel you are using? Uh no use a microfiber towel, you can get those anywhere."

Right before I say goodbye to the family my dad says "there aren't too many places that sell good quality car products because most people don't care about how their car looks and just run it through the automatic wash. There is this website called Autogeek, they don't sell any &*&@#$@." Then he points out the other cars in the neighborhood and says "now son a year from now your car can look like this, or it can look like that." Now for anyone who has seen the Toystory meme where Buzz goes "Woody swirls, swirls everywhere!" with Woody looking on in horror. Well that was me lol. I didn't have the eye or understanding yet of swirls but I could see what oxidized and dull paint looked like.

My 1st purchase from Autogeek Meguiars D114 (RIP). And I picked up some microfiber towels from supermarkets and Auto parts stores. And that was how I started washing my car. I didn't purchase a hose for another year. Eventually I purchased a wash mitt and better towels as I gradually upped my game.

In the summer that 1st year, I pulled out of Publix parking garage like I had no sense. Trip to the BodyShop. Which meant I had to detail my car, for the 1st time.
    Found Junkman2000 on Youtube. I started to obsess. This was also when my paychecks almost literally started going to Autogeek haha. Later on Larry Kosilla on Youtube and I started seeking out every bit of knowledge I can get on the Autogeek Forums. I also found a spot where I could detail my car for long periods of time without worrying about the elements so much, a neighboring city parking garage that was walking distance to my house and (at the time)work. Working in store at a pizza place, and finding out (acidic)pizza sauce was dumped on my car made $26 a month parking with camera security on of the best Autogeek investments ever. What was originally a great investment to get away from inconsiderate people, cats, birds, and nature in general became a place I can detail my car without being in a rush. And the people that run the Parking Garage seem to really like me.

My obsession with cleaning and sheltering my car from savagery, had made me a target for my coworkers to mess with me mercilessly. "Omg Rodney it's just a car!" Even my dad started to think I might be getting a little carried away. Or my coworkers would call me John Taffer from Bar Rescue when I would give my coworkers that actually did wash their car because of their processes. A day in the life. Me "I just bought a Swirl Light so I can see imperfections in my paint, I'm going to be sad." Friend "Oh Rodney what are we going to do with you."

After a while, it all turned into, how much for my car? You think you're hot stuff until you detail someone car that's definitely not maintained like ours lol. After spending a lot more time on it then I would now ofcourse. "That's my car?! Omg! I have a brand new car." This turned into you have to go for this and do this for a living talk from everyone. I didn't think, or see myself getting this involved but my mindset and determination led me to going all in. I know a lot of my friends were like "you would charge that much to wash a car?! what's a decontaminate?!" lol. And then when I was done they would say it's like I got a whole new car. I would explain what I did and the positive long run effects including the appearance lasting longer than a cheap detailer's work. There words would be "I didn't realize it was that in depth and time consuming. You should actually charge more if you are doing all of this." I would follow up with asking how are they going to maintain my work? And after 'paper towels' 'dawn' 'automatic' I'm like noooooooooooooooooo!!!!! I decided that my company vision will be around educating customers. I would do that for the benefit of the customers, on behalf of fellow detailers that do quality work, and for (obvious reasons) myself ofcourse. One of my best friends said it should be Mirror Reflections because she can do her makeup on a car when I'm done. October 12, 2015 Mirror Reflections Auto Spa LLC.

It has and still is quite a challenge growing this business. I guess when you have $25 details and $50 buff jobs, I have a lot of explaining to do justifying an start up price of $125. Fortunately I have my main job and sometimes I need it to survive. Many self talk conversations about giving up but I am still here and determined not to go anywhere. Just like I have been criticized from many income brackets for what I offered, I have customers from all backgrounds that have spoken very highly of my work. I received a major break with being selected to appear on Competition Ready. I still think to myself really I was picked lol. Oh I hope I don't do something stupid in front of Mike Phillips and the other pros. But I can see myself getting much better and better not just as a detailer but as a business man as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Like so many, my Dad was a car guy & that made me a car guy. As for the detailing I guess Dads influence rubbed off on me there too, as far back as I can remember Dad always kept his cars or bikes looking sharp & from a six year old cleaning my BMX bikes until now, I continue to do the same.

I left school & trained to be a Chef & to keep the story short - I had a school buddy who got a job at a detailing shop. Now at that stage I had never thought of detailing as a business or even something people would pay for, I just figured it was something we all did to our own vehicles. The owner of the shop was into motorcycles as was I, I spent a bit of time at the shop & became great friends with the owner through our passion for bikes & when my friend left to a different job I offered to lend a hand during the day because for the most part I was in the kitchens at nights.

Here I am today, almost twenty two years as a professional detailer, I only cook at home now & my Wife & I have our humble little shop named 'Details' at the top of the South Island of New Zealand. We are proud IDA members, an Alumni of Mike Phillips Boot Camp (old school Competition Ready) & one of three Authorized C.Quartz FINEST Installers in our country & the only one in the South Island. This is Me, this is what I do, my passion & what I love.

Pictures - this is my wash area.

Outside my door . . . Shop logo designed by myself - sign writers get frightened when presented with a hand drawn picture.

Some pictures of inside the building.

My IDA Membership Certification & code of ethics.

My certificate from 2015 January Boot Camp & a picture of Mike Phillips shaking my hand, a constant reminder of an amazing 16000 + mile round trip & one that changed our live sin more ways than one.

Big thank you to my Autogeek Online family & the whole team at Autogeek, I can't wait to return some day. Thanks for looking.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

I had issues uploading the previous pictures so trying again with the pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Rod73 View Post
    Attachment 52633Attachment 52634

These 2 pictures; one being in the neighboring city parking garage where I primarily work and the second, usually for smaller projects my home.

My experience really was a journey into and through this lifestyle.

Nearly 3 years ago I would be surprised (somewhat surprised) with a Nissan Altima 2014. It would be my 1st car. Detailed by dad with LSP Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 . Keep in mind, I have never washed a car before. I am for the 1st week 4 or 5 times a day and night looking for any spec to wipe anything that falls on my car. My dad sees me one day and asks "son is that a paper towel you are using? Uh no use a microfiber towel, you can get those anywhere."

Right before I say goodbye to the family my dad says "there aren't too many places that sell good quality car products because most people don't care about how their car looks and just run it through the automatic wash. There is this website called Autogeek, they don't sell any &*&@#$@." Then he points out the other cars in the neighborhood and says "now son a year from now your car can look like this, or it can look like that." Now for anyone who has seen the Toystory meme where Buzz goes "Woody swirls, swirls everywhere!" with Woody looking on in horror. Well that was me lol. I didn't have the eye or understanding yet of swirls but I could see what oxidized and dull paint looked like.

My 1st purchase from Autogeek Meguiars D114 (RIP). And I picked up some microfiber towels from supermarkets and Auto parts stores. And that was how I started washing my car. I didn't purchase a hose for another year. Eventually I purchased a wash mitt and better towels as I gradually upped my game.

In the summer that 1st year, I pulled out of Publix parking garage like I had no sense. Trip to the BodyShop. Which meant I had to detail my car, for the 1st time.
    Found Junkman2000 on Youtube. I started to obsess. This was also when my paychecks almost literally started going to Autogeek haha. Later on Larry Kosilla on Youtube and I started seeking out every bit of knowledge I can get on the Autogeek Forums. I also found a spot where I could detail my car for long periods of time without worrying about the elements so much, a neighboring city parking garage that was walking distance to my house and (at the time)work. Working in store at a pizza place, and finding out (acidic)pizza sauce was dumped on my car made $26 a month parking with camera security on of the best Autogeek investments ever. What was originally a great investment to get away from inconsiderate people, cats, birds, and nature in general became a place I can detail my car without being in a rush. And the people that run the Parking Garage seem to really like me.

My obsession with cleaning and sheltering my car from savagery, had made me a target for my coworkers to mess with me mercilessly. "Omg Rodney it's just a car!" Even my dad started to think I might be getting a little carried away. Or my coworkers would call me John Taffer from Bar Rescue when I would give my coworkers that actually did wash their car because of their processes. A day in the life. Me "I just bought a Swirl Light so I can see imperfections in my paint, I'm going to be sad." Friend "Oh Rodney what are we going to do with you."

After a while, it all turned into, how much for my car? You think you're hot stuff until you detail someone car that's definitely not maintained like ours lol. After spending a lot more time on it then I would now ofcourse. "That's my car?! Omg! I have a brand new car." This turned into you have to go for this and do this for a living talk from everyone. I didn't think, or see myself getting this involved but my mindset and determination led me to going all in. I know a lot of my friends were like "you would charge that much to wash a car?! what's a decontaminate?!" lol. And then when I was done they would say it's like I got a whole new car. I would explain what I did and the positive long run effects including the appearance lasting longer than a cheap detailer's work. There words would be "I didn't realize it was that in depth and time consuming. You should actually charge more if you are doing all of this." I would follow up with asking how are they going to maintain my work? And after 'paper towels' 'dawn' 'automatic' I'm like noooooooooooooooooo!!!!! I decided that my company vision will be around educating customers. I would do that for the benefit of the customers, on behalf of fellow detailers that do quality work, and for (obvious reasons) myself ofcourse. One of my best friends said it should be Mirror Reflections because she can do her makeup on a car when I'm done. October 12, 2015 Mirror Reflections Auto Spa LLC.

It has and still is quite a challenge growing this business. I guess when you have $25 details and $50 buff jobs, I have a lot of explaining to do justifying an start up price of $125. Fortunately I have my main job and sometimes I need it to survive. Many self talk conversations about giving up but I am still here and determined not to go anywhere. Just like I have been criticized from many income brackets for what I offered, I have customers from all backgrounds that have spoken very highly of my work. I received a major break with being selected to appear on Competition Ready. I still think to myself really I was picked lol. Oh I hope I don't do something stupid in front of Mike Phillips and the other pros. But I can see myself getting much better and better not just as a detailer but as a business man as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my "rig".

I found Autogeek while looking for good info on how to restore headlights and from there learned what I needed to start a part time mobile detail business.

Post Thanks / Like

They quietly scootched the day to October 3rd

-Mr. Slick.
    -Mr. Slick, Palm Springs' Mobile Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Update?

Retired Professional Detailer

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

And the winners are....(drum roll, please)

• refreshauto
    • zmcgovern45
    • choijw2
    • sharpreflection
    • Justin@FinalInspection
    • KMG
    • ViperGuy21
    • Rod73
    • Aaryn NZ
    • Slick01

PLEASE send me an email (nick@autogeek.net) with your shipping information.

Post Thanks / Like

YAY! This definitely brightens up my crappy day!!!
    Thanks Nick!! Email on the way!

Congrats to the other winners!!
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet!!! Email sent.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast