autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Post Your Detail Shop and WIN!

Well my story actually begins as a fresh out of high school teenaged boy. I was in need of a full time job as I still hadn't made up my mind about college. My parents went to the local Chevy dealer to buy a new car from a acquaintance of ours. He mentioned that the detail department was looking for another full time person and experience wasn't required and full benefits were offered as well. Me being the typical testosterone fueled boy that I was I was always into cars and actually drove a very nice black Iroc Camaro in high school. Detailing was something that was kinda black magic to me. I had friend in high school who detailed during the summer and had mentioned the money he was making and it always stuck with me!

So long story short I started at the dealership and then bounced around to various dealers as my experience increased. Eventually managing a couple different detail departments.

Around 2006-7 when I really started getting into correction type work and realized that dealership land wasn't where it was at.

In 2008 I moved to Florida right down the way from Autogeek headquarters! Jackpot! Once I started investing in higher quality products and constantly testing them on my personal rides and doing budget details for friends I knew that this is what I wanted to do.

Thankfully I kept pursuing jobs on the side during off time from my regular full time job. Now I am back in Massachusetts and have been doing double roll as stay at home dad and full time detailer out of my garage pictured below.

Honestly if I hadn't lived near Autogeek I may have never pursued my passion! Fate has a strange way of working things out.

IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    At the end of 2015 I was given the opportunity to move into a warehouse space near my home that was owned by some existing clients of mine (realtors). They had used the space for personal storage, but were willing to allow me to rent it out for business use. It was too good of a deal to pass up, so I packed up everything detailing related that I owned and moved into our new shop.
    I am still a full time engineer and part time detailer, and I now have a few part time helpers (close friends of mine) who help me get through our workload each year.
    Now THAT is a cool story, a couple friends and I had a dream of turning our car hobby into a (full-time) business, many years ago, but that never panned out (probably for the best, lol). Thanks for sharing, Zach.

Post Thanks / Like

After just over 3 years in business doing this, things have certainly come a long way. Even though I am still doing this part time and working full-time for an Engineering Company, I am still working out of my personal garage. I have put a good bit of money into cleaning up and making the space nicer for working out of. Although I have come to the point where I am pretty much out growing this space and in the next year or two we likely be finding another area to work out of.

This is what my garage looked like just before I decided to give part-time detailing a shot. Both of these vehicles were sold off (regret selling the 65 fastback) to free up some space.

Fast forward to what it looks like now. While still far from a fancy shop it is quite a bit better then it was.

It is a constant work in progress. Looking forward to getting another work space with more room however.

Post Thanks / Like

Zach,

Great story and that new shop is huge. Plenty of room. Heated floors?

Post Thanks / Like

Jeremy,

I would love a garage like yours. That floor is spotless. Looks like you will have a helper in a few years. Give that kid a Nano and let him go to town! He would be a great wheel and wheel wells guy. Those arms can get into places we could never dream.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Your Detail Shop and WIN!

Starting out..... In an Apartment complex parking lot...

These are some of many cars I take care of. I've gotten my hands on every car in this pic multiple times.

I wasn't planning on becoming a professional detailer. My new dream career came to me. Right now I'm starting out. I am planning on going full time with the whole van setup.

It's funny because in my high school years, people asked a question that made me dread hearing it every time.

"What do you want to be, what do you want to do for a living?"

Ugh. Just put me in a fast food franchise, give me orders. A bi-weekly paycheck and I'll be set. No dreams. No life goals, no end-game achievement that I was set for. I just wanted to have a regular job and a regular life.

Years later we got a Camry for free. The paint wax oxidized really bad. But you wouldn't notice that because the hood was crunched up. I got in the habit of washing the car and later I got a machine from harbor freight. I didn't really know how to use the m105 and 205. I never thought of cleaning the pads either. It almost took a week to finish.

Viola! Here's the results:

My original gear. I also had a gallon of gold class soap from Costco:

As time went on, neighbors would ask "So, do you do this..?"
    "You mean you want yours done?"

I started washing and waxing my neighbors cars. It's funny. When I moved in, I rarely talked to my neighbors most are way older than me. We did have some friends that had an SUV, it had a scuff on the door and some paint transfer. She thought the scuff was permanent, so I talked with her and her husband and I said "sure $20 I'll use my machine and if it doesn't work you don't have to pay" I got to work with my machine and it came out perfect. Her husband gave me two twenties. He did not expect it to come out completely, just look a bit better. This made me feel great. I was able to help my neighbors and get paid. I get many telling me they've gone to so many places in Palm Springs and none of them are as precise as I am.

Seeing the before and after process on these cars really feels like an accomplishment, and it makes people so happy!

Well like I said, I live in a complex. After doing so many jobs, I accumulated more gear. This is in my room.

I have a reputation in the Rivera Gardens complex. Sometimes I'll get a message from one of my clients, they are going somewhere and want a quick detail. I spray and wipe and it looks sharp for their arrival. I get paid and the customer is happy.

Something hilarious happened just a few days ago. A visitor was at the gate near my car and he said "Hey the lady said shout out to this guy always cleaning his car that could open the gate"

I set down by soap water bucket I was about to use on my car, and let him in.

I think I found my calling.

- Mr. Slick

Sent from my Potato using Tapatalk.
    -Mr. Slick, Palm Springs' Mobile Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I keep editing this because of all the auto- incorrect mistakes (Thanks, Apple...)

Sent from my Potato using Tapatalk.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey it looks like everyone's going to win a basket Post Your Detail Shop and WIN!

Sent from my iPotato using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My 'mobile rig':

I say 'mobile rig' because it is simply just my first, and so far, only car. My story really starts right before I turned 16 and was about to get the above 2004 Acura TSX as my first car. My parents told me that I would not be allowed to modify my car or work on it in any way because I would just break something. As a car guy, this broke my heart. I was planning on a slight(1"-2")drop with coils, cat-back, and a long pipe cold air intake for starters.

At this point I was faced with the dilemma of how to make MY car stand out. How could I make MY car special?

So I decided I would just make it special and make it stand out by making it shiny.

Now, to do this shining-it-up thing I asked for some GOOD car cleaning stuff and received a mop bucket, MEGS deep crystal wash, Armor All original protectant, glass cleaner, and a couple other things.

None of these products were any good, but I had no clue then.

I happened to come across MEGS Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish one day when I was looking at the MEGS website. So, after sorta figuring out what they were, I went and spent a WHOPPING(at the time it seemed like a ton)$40 on those two and something that was called a 'clay kit'.

I figured I could use the UC and UP with the Turtle Wax 'buffer' I found in the garage.

After washing, claying, 'compounding' and 'polishing', and waxing with MEGS ULW, the car looked AMAZING!

The thing was, I enjoy doing it!

Soon I was online trying to find out more about this magical world of auto detailing. I ran into Chemical Guys at first(of course)and got totally sucked in. I bought a bunch of their products, and started trying 'sealants', different 'detail sprays', etc...

After a while I decided I wanted to get a proper machine and really do some detailing work. I ended up asking for a GG6" for my 17th birthday along with the range of Chemical Guys Hexlogic pads. I then ordered a few more hex pads, the V-Line of polishes and a couple other things to make my car look 'absolutely AMAZING!'

After my first paint correction and full detail I ended up finding AGO. My whole detailing world got turned upside down(and my wallet emptied).

I learned a TON from this forum, Autopia, and a few of the good You-tubers(Larry Kosilla is one good example). I then started buying more and more products, winning a few contests, and building up my arsenal while simultaneously building my detailing knowledge.

Next thing I know is my car really does look seriously spectacular, I'm getting more complements on it than ever before, and some people are starting to ask me if I would make their car look awesome too!

My passion for detailing continued to grow, and over this last summer(when I started taking jobs)I got to work on a bunch of different cars and even made a decent chunk of change.

In one summer I worked on cars ranging from a 2010 Porsche 997 GT3, to a newish Honda Accord, to a 1931 Ford Model A that represents a large university in Texas at all major university events.

This brings us to now. I am 18 and a full time pre-med college student who loves to detail. I actually manage to fit all my detailing gear in the trunk with only my vacuum in the backseat.

I love detailing, and plan to continue it for the rest of my life, at least as a hobby. I love the fact that at age 18, I can basically run my own 'business' just on the side to make money. This way, I don't have to get an actual job, or have a boss. What is even better is that I enjoy what I do!

So that is how I got into detailing and where it has taken me so far.

Thanks for the awesome giveaway Nick! AGO ROCKS!!!!!!!!
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Post Thanks / Like

Post Your Detail Shop and WIN!

Looks like there's still room for one more entry and everyone will still win.

9 entries but 10 will be selected.

- Mr. Slick.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast