autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: what pads to use on my DA for heavy oxidation?

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    The folks on this Forum, including myself are more familiar with the Automotive compounds and polishes; that's why you keep getting pushed in that way

From what I have read M91 is an aggressive compound and can be used with a DA or Rotary, so it seems a good fit for your needs

Make sure you post some "Before & Afters"
    Will have to; I'll head over to Marine 31 to get more refined answers, not that you guys don't have good answers they're awesome

I should consider getting one of the other products M105/205 for my automotive needs since that's what I do more of; but this is my first time doing a boat (well my first time doing autos too but I've been learning that part for 6 months now).

I'm going to go to my aunt's to do a full inspection of the boat to determine what it needs; because I believe a base layer is needed before I can do anything and that requires someone else with the experience/knowledge (its a specialized barrier paint used to protect the fiberglass).

Post Thanks / Like

I've been out of boating for 15 years but I purchased a used, 21 ft Chaparall that had decent interior but the gel had oxidized pretty badly back in the late 80s.

For the oxidization removal I used one of the 3M compounds (don't remember which one) and followed with a Meguiar's polish and wax. It was a 3-step process but only had to do the 3-step one time.

If I were doing this again, I'd probably go with the 3M compound and wax with a yellow Lake Country pad with something like this: 3M Marine Rubbing Compound, 3M gelcoat compound, 3M marine compound, polish gelcoat, followed by a white pad with one of the polishes, and then follow with a wax. I'd go with the 3M line but Megs probably has a similar product line. I'd pick one and go with it rather than mixing up.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a professional but you might be better off to get a cheap rotary polisher and use 7" to 8" twisted wool pads with a heavy oxidation compound (Marine 31 products will work). A DA polisher will work but it will take longer to finish the project. Remember to spur the wool pads often.

For second step use a wool blend or foamed wool pad with a light to medium compound followed by a finish polish with a lambs wool pad or good yellow foam pad. I prefer a polymer sealant rather than wax as the polymer sealants tend to last longer.

FYI I use a plastic drop sheet taped over the windshield and interior to keep the dust out of the interior. Wool pads (especially new ones) will shed - I run my new wool pads thru a pad cleaner and spur the pads well before I use them the first time which helps. Mike posted a very detailed boat project (older Baja boat) that came out very nice with some good tips. Sorry can't find the link but you should be able to search around and find it.

You should be able to find all the products needed in AG store - except the beer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chase_910 View Post
    I'm not a professional but you might be better off to get a cheap rotary polisher and use 7" to 8" twisted wool pads with a heavy oxidation compound (Marine 31 products will work). A DA polisher will work but it will take longer to finish the project. Remember to spur the wool pads often.

For second step use a wool blend or foamed wool pad with a light to medium compound followed by a finish polish with a lambs wool pad or good yellow foam pad. I prefer a polymer sealant rather than wax as the polymer sealants tend to last longer.

FYI I use a plastic drop sheet taped over the windshield and interior to keep the dust out of the interior. Wool pads (especially new ones) will shed - I run my new wool pads thru a pad cleaner and spur the pads well before I use them the first time which helps. Mike posted a very detailed boat project (older Baja boat) that came out very nice with some good tips. Sorry can't find the link but you should be able to search around and find it.

You should be able to find all the products needed in AG store - except the beer
    I noticed the DA machine does take a little more effort and for good reason; I'm not comfortable with rotaries since its much easier to burn the paint or material you're working I don't mind if it takes longer but I kinda wished the DA would go a little faster than what I've got it doesn't seem to be fast like a rotary even on max (and I suppose that's the whole point of a DA).

Thanks for your tips too; and I'll have a look around; you're right I'd want to use a polymer but I'd still put a wax on (some say why bother? Well, personally I'd like to have wax on when the boat is in the heat in between uses; and then a final waxing before winter but of course once its in the water the water is going to beat up the wax coating which is fine).

Post Thanks / Like

You can take off pretty heavy oxidation with a da and appropriate pads if you have heavy compound intended for gel coat

On the few occasions of polishing heavily oxidized boats this summer, m105 did not do a damn thing. It just got soaked in as if I tried to wax it. Save the headache and look up marine/rv/gel coat specific compounds. M105 will only work if the gel coat still has some life to it. If it's all dried up and chalky looking, you'd have to sand off the oxidized layer to get m105 and most automotive specific compounds to work

Post Thanks / Like

You will never get the proper cut with a da on gel coat that is heavy oxidaized. Rotary with appropriate pad and compound is the only steps. It it is very bad you will need to sand first and then cmpound with rotary. It will come back if not donr properly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12