autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with boat hull process and materials

Thanks. I have an ablative/soft antifouling paint on the bottom, below the waterline. No blasting it off as it isn't necessary with this type of paint, it will be sanded and repainted. I am compounding/polishing/waxing above the water line only. I do have some purple foamed pads and will probably start with them and the Captains One Step Compound/Polish. Could use the CSS orange pads I have as well if that is better. Will test and see. I think I have decided to do that and then follow with the one step polish and wax using a green pad on the 3401. In my mind this would compound and polish deeper and then the green would take out the swirls left by the deeper process? Not sure if that is a whacked out theory but it's what I am thinking. May be entirely wrong. Then a coat of wax on top of that. Will take three trips around but I don't do this often so it is what it is.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the same boat! Someone asked yesterday if I could restore shine back into a white gel coat on the topside.

I have the Rupes system and from what I could gather---Blue rupes pads will be what I need. But will wait to see what Mike says...

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully the guy asking you to do the restore doesn't need it until next spring. That'll buy some time to get an answer. I have to start the project tomorrow so I guess I will go with trial and error. Couldn't wait for a response or a call back any longer so I ordered a bunch of stuff 1/2 of which I won't need. No choice as I like the products and have to get this done in the limited time I have. Mike needs an assistant to help in here and at marine31.com.

Mike Phillips

Simple but effective steps...

Rotary Buffer + Wool Cutting Pad + Captain's One-Step Compound

Any Orbital Polisher - RUPES Blue Coarse Foam Cutting Pad + Captain's One-Step Compound

Seal - Either use a traditional sealant or wax or chemically strip the surface and apply a coating - Gtechniq seems to be the leader in gel-coat coatings.

Figure out how to properly charge as the above is 3-4 steps, TONS of wiping, (good arm workout), and will take you days.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Sorry for slow response---my computer crashed and burned, lost all usernames and passwords! Slowly getting all my info back from all over the internet.

Well anyway---Many Thanks for the short version! Got the stuff ordered already and should be here on Tuesday.

Thanks again, Mike.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Junior Member attention2detaillhc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is pretty old post and am not sure if you have been answered, but I will add my experience as I do a ton of boat detailing. I would say that a boat with noticeable oxidation will require a wool pad. Gel coat is extremely hard and using a foam pad will be to much work and generate a lot of heat. Gel coat is much thicker than paint. You will almost always find that 4 coats are sprayed. Corners are always thin so be careful in corners. Other than that, Capt Cut and wool pad will do the trick. I usually finish with a med\light cut foam pad and Capt Cut just to get everything evened out. I have a developed my own rule for gel coated boats. I always go 1 pad more than normal. Instead of finishing with a fine cut or polish pad I use a medium pad etc. Once completed Seal and you should be good.
    Jon - Lake Havasu City, Arizona - AKA In the middle of the desert!
    http://www.attention2detaillhc.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12