autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Gelcoat Maintenance Inquiry

I have a 2007 Majek Illusion that has been kept in great shape and still has a nice shine to the gelcoat. However, by looking at the area where the "MajekIllusion" sticker used to be, I can easily see the sticker outline and the newer looking gelcoat which means, I could bring out even more shine than it currently has.

Here are the products I have on hand to polish the Gelcoat.

3M Heavy Oxidation Cleaner
    3M Light Oxidation Cleaner
    Marine 31 Heavy-Cut Oxidation cleaner
    Zaino AIO
    Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover
    Wolfgang Finishing Glaze
    Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer

Pads: Orange, white, blue, red, black

The reason I am asking first rather than experimenting is you guys might be able to tell me where to begin which would, in turn, save some of my polishing pads and time

Thanks,

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gelcoat Maintenance Inquiry

Start with least aggressive first.If that doesn't work, step up.

I would start with 3M Light oxidation with white pad. If that isn't giving the results you want, step up to orange pad. If that still isn't where you want, try one of the heavy oxidation cleaners with white. If that still isn't where you want, go with the orange pad with the heavy oxidation cleaner.

That's the route I would go, if I were in your situation. Good luck! We want to see pics!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by damaged442 View Post
    Start with least aggressive first.If that doesn't work, step up.

I would start with 3M Light oxidation with white pad. If that isn't giving the results you want, step up to orange pad. If that still isn't where you want, try one of the heavy oxidation cleaners with white. If that still isn't where you want, go with the orange pad with the heavy oxidation cleaner.

That's the route I would go, if I were in your situation. Good luck! We want to see pics!!
    Thank you for the information.

Regarding the 3m Light stuff, what would you recommend as a lubricant for the pad: the 3m stuff tends to dry out quickly.

Cheers,

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely do a test spot. Based on my experience buffing out a gel coat boat, sometimes the get coat fades or discolors where its exposed to the elements, and underneath graphics for instance, its preserved. My friend and I compounded and polished his boat that had graphics on the side. He removed the graphics, but even after compounding, there is still evidence of them being there as deep under the outter coats, the discoloration has taken place. His boat looks great, super shiny, but there is nothing we could do short of sanding down the gel coat and redoing it that would get rid of the remants of the graphics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    Definitely do a test spot. Based on my experience buffing out a gel coat boat, sometimes the get coat fades or discolors where its exposed to the elements, and underneath graphics for instance, its preserved. My friend and I compounded and polished his boat that had graphics on the side. He removed the graphics, but even after compounding, there is still evidence of them being there as deep under the outter coats, the discoloration has taken place. His boat looks great, super shiny, but there is nothing we could do short of sanding down the gel coat and redoing it that would get rid of the remants of the graphics.
    Thank you for the reply.

I tried a little 3m light oxidation remover with a rag, which I have used in the past, and you could definitely tell the difference. The weird part is even though the boat is extremely glossy looking, if you look at the gelcoat at an angle, you can easily see the oxidation. Also, I gave the Marine 31 heavy oxidation remover a go and it did work a little better than the lighter stuff (smells just like the 3m heavy stuff and works the same as far as I could tell)

Later this week, I'll give it a go with an orange pad and the 3m light and see what happens.

Thanks!