autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Doing a 21' boat with meduim to hi oxidation. Using Porter cable 7424. What products/pad should I use?

I was thinking a wool pad to remove oxidation and a foam pad after to polish using mequiars m4965 oxidation removal kit? Should I use something else?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doing a 21' boat with meduim to hi oxidation. Using Porter cable 7424. What products/pad should I use?

I don't think that porter cable with a wool pad will be enough. If able to I would at least get a Flex 3401 with a yellow foam or purple wool foamed pad

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doing a 21' boat with meduim to hi oxidation. Using Porter cable 7424. What products/pad should I use?

Quote Originally Posted by Coastalf350 View Post
    I don't think that porter cable with a wool pad will be enough. If able to I would at least get a Flex 3401 with a yellow foam or purple wool foamed pad
    Right, I dont wanna drop 300 bucks for a polisher when I already own one though. I went to a local marine shop and they gave me some light abrasive 3m scouring pads and a heavy compound to use after with the pc 7424. Does that sound legit?

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with a PC. You are more brave than I. I'm dreading using my 3401 with yellow pad on a 26' I have coming up this weekend. I do have a rotary and one wool pad but I'm not gonna swirl-o-matic it then have to polish again.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

I have had good luck with my GG6 and cutting pads (lots of them) using Megs M67. It WILL take lots of time but should come out nicely. Work small areas, clean pad after every pass and change pads very often. I'll use 8-12 pads on a boat that size with bad oxidation. Good Luck

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

So what about the scouring pad with the heavy compound on the da polisher after? Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Good luck with a PC. You are more brave than I. I'm dreading using my 3401 with yellow pad on a 26' I have coming up this weekend. I do have a rotary and one wool pad but I'm not gonna swirl-o-matic it then have to polish again.
    So then what are going to do?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zee19 View Post
    So what about the scouring pad with the heavy compound on the da polisher after? Any thoughts?
    when it comes to gelcoat with no pics on severity of oxidation,kinda hard to give the correct answer.

firehouse Mike gave good advice,stick with the da and some pads and patience.
    you can go the wool route but then you will have to remove the halograms with the da and that's double the work.

There are several ways to detail boats in bad condition such as dampsanding.
    look for the easiest method with good results .

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I guess I didnt really just ask, is it a bad idea to use the light scouring pad and the following it with the heavy compound on a wool pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Think about some Lake Country Purple Kompressor pads. Maybe see if AG can get you some 5.5". Unbelievably aggressive foam with tons of bite, big, open cells with thick walls will gnaw away at the oxidation. Of not that, consider the pink LC CCS polishing pad. Again, way bigger pores than the yellow, or orange help the compound bite away at the surface. I'd make sure to use a nice amount of compound, moderate pressure, and speed 6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast