autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class Pictures - April 18th, 2015

Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class Pictures - April 18th, 2015

Note: The next class will be in August call Nick at 1-877-797-8803 to get registered.

Here's the group shot with John Greviskis from Ship Shape TV!

Thank you to everyone that attended!
    I hope you all had as much fun as Nick and I had and also learned some tips, techniques and tools to make detailing boats faster, more effective and more fun.

This is the thread to post your comments, feedback and pictures from the class. If you're not a member of this forum you need to join the forum in order to post to it.

Click here to join the forum

If you need help then give either myself or Nick a call or e-mail

Mike: 1-800-869-3011 x206

Nick: 1-800-869-3011 x215

Thank you!

Mike Phillips

Re: Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class Pictures - April 18th, 2015

Went through the pictures taken during the class, going to post them in the order they were taken...

Our classes start with a Power Point Presentation where we go over all the topics to be covered in the class and then we focus in on the first topic.

After discussing the first topic it's time for hands-on practice. One of the topics we cover is the order in which to do each step. I keep the focus on reducing steps.

So before washing the boat outside, we went over how to polish the metal brightwork and machine scrub the non-skid. By tackling these two components BEFORE washing the boat you can remove the polish residue off the metal brightwork while washing the boat, (this save you at least one step), and the rinse the non-skid while washing the boat, (this saves you a step.

Saving steps = saving time and energy
    To clean and polish all the metal brightwork we're using Marine 31 Stainless Steel and Aluminum Brightening Soap which uses all natural soap flakes without any of the nasty solvents or abrasives used in a lot of metal polishes.

You can apply this and wipe it off or what I find is a lot easier is to apply it and then wash it off. Thus applying it BEFORE you wash the boat makes the job faster and cleaner.

Mike Phillips

Next we scrubbed the hard, molded-in non-skid. Now you can do this by hand with a scrub brush or using a brush on a pole. Both these approaches work.

To REALLY get the non-skid clean I showed how to MACHINE SCRUB the non-skid using Cyclo brushes on both the Cyclo Polisher and the Porter Cable Polishers using Marine 31 Port to Starboard All Purpose Cleaner.

Another reason I show doing this step by machine is because later we're going to SEAL the molded-in non skid surfaces using the Marine 31 Non-Skid Clear Sealant with Carnauba and like a lot of detailing procedures the most important aspect of sealing non-skid is starting with a clean surface and machine cleaning does a better job of cleaning non-skid than you can ever do by hand.

This is another step you want to do BEFORE washing the boat because you don't want to use electric tools around water. So we polished the metal brightwork and machine scrubbed the non-skid with the boat inside the studio and then after finishing these two steps moved the boat outside into the hot Florida sun to wash the boat.

The order you do the steps is up to you... I like to find ways that reduce the number of steps while still getting the job done fast and efficient.

Of course most people won't have an air conditioned studio to work in when detailing a boat but we like provide a fun, cool and educational work environment for all our classes.

Mike Phillips

Boat Washing

Nothing like a hot sunny day here in Stuart, Florida to step outside wash a boat and get a little Florida sunshine!

In our boat detailing classes we go over personal safety when detailing boats. Here's the Power Point Slide that leads into the discussion on boat detailing safety.

Having sturdy scaffolding or in our case rolling safety ladders with perforated treads. That and brushes with extendable handles to reach the top of the T-top.

Here's Oscar foaming the outside of the boat using the Marine 31 1/2 gallon Foam Gun with Marine 31 Gel Coat Wash & Wax with Carnauba

Here's Daniel power rinsing the suds off the boat using the power washer from his mobile detailing van. He has an incredible fully self-contained set-up enabling him to tackle anything!

At all our classes we show a wide variety of tools including the Guzzler Waffle Weave Drying towels for drying off the water to avoid water spots.

Here's Frank using the Ultimate Guzzler which measures 28" by 44" and has pockets on both ends to slide your hands into.

And also the Absorber XL Drying Towelwhich is a synthetic chamois. Here's Jeff drying the topside.

Mike Phillips

Special Celebrity Guest

John Greviskis, the host of "Ship Shape TV" stopped by to say hi and chat with all the guys....

Mike Phillips

Removing Oxidation and Restoring Gloss

After talking shop with Ship Shape John it was time to do as the power point presentation stated and that's...

Get busy!

All our classes are VERY HANDS-ON!

In fact over the years I would say that is the most common compliment and feedback we receive about our classes and that is there's not much sitting around time... most of the time you're on your feet working and learning.

Next up...

How to remove oxidation

The first thing we do is discuss the two general categories of boats, that would be,

1. Painted
    2. Gel-coat

During the power point presentation we go over how these two types of finishes are very different and it is of the utmost importance to know which type of finish you're working on otherwise you will make a VERY costly mistake. I explain what the risk is when you make a mistake and how to avoid the risk to save yourself a lot of headache and expense.

Once we cover painted versus gel-coat hulls we move onto how to work on gel-coat hulls.

Now there's all kinds of ways to remove oxidation but my goal is to always show people the easiest way to do it while getting the best results.

When it comes to removing oxidation, most people think the best and fastest way to do this is to use a rotary buffer with a wool pad and an aggressive compound.

And that's how most of the industry does this type of work.

No me.

Removing oxidation with a rotary buffer and a wool pad means PUSHING HARD against the boat for hours and hours. It's incredibly hot, hard work.

What I show for medium and severe oxidation is how to reach the same goal by doing a whole lot less work and a whole lot less pushing a rotary buffer hard against the side of a boat hull that also by the way is at an angle pointed away from you making the process even more difficult using the traditional approach.

First up, I show the simplest known way to remove oxidation and that is to hand sand using a simple flexible hand backing pad with an extremely high quality sandpaper. I explain why it's important to use the highest quality sanding products you can obtain as there are 4 strong reasons.

Restoring an oxidized gel-coat boat
    This is the advanced part of the class and this also tends to be the portion of the class most guys are interested in learning about. There are no books, videos or other boat detailing classes that I'm aware of where you can get this type of very specific information and the techniques to do this type of work correctly.

I always show two ways to hand sand starting with how to wrap a backing pad....

Followed by the correct way to move your sanding pad over the surface. There's a right way and a wrong way. There's also hand speed and pressure to be aware of as well as how long to sand.

Next I show an easier way to hand sand... a much easier way...

These guys are laughing now while I'm doing all the work but they won't be laughing when it's their turn!

Next up is the easiest way to sand and that's to machine sand. This portion of the class goes over how to use both air sanders and electric machine sanders safely as well as the correct techniques for machine sanding.

Machine Compounding
    After sanding it's time to remove your sanding marks. This can be done a number of ways but I show the fastest way and that's using a rotary buffer with a wool pad and a high quality compound.

You're always going to want and need a rotary buffer when working on oxidized boats but the amount of work needed to remove sanding marks is FAR LESS than the amount of work to use the old way of compounding for hours and hours.

Techniques for using a rotary buffer
    The rotary buffer can be a friend or a foe, it all comes down into how you hold the tool and we go over that in the class too....

That's red pigmented gel-coat or polyester resin you see on the face of the wool pad. That's normal and to be expected.

Whenever you're doing compounding work you'll have two things building up on the face of your pad and we go over why it's important to work clean and then how to clean your pads as you work around the boat.

Next it's time for the class to start sanding and buffing.

Mike Phillips

Action time!

Here's the results after Captain's One-Step Compound & Polish both with a rotary buffer followed by the Flex 3401 Forced Rotation/Forced Oscillation Dual Action Polisher

Then we stripped the gel-coat to remove any polishing oils....

Then applied the Captain's Boat Coating with UV50

Mike Phillips

Interior Detailing

During the morning portion of the class before we washed the boat we polished the metal, cleaned the non-skid and also washed and cleaned all the vinyl surfaces.

We did NOT however apply any protection to the non-skid or vinyl surfaces as that's the last step after exterior detailing.

For the interior detailing Nick shows and explains how to use the Marine 31 Mildew Guard followed by how to apply the Marine 31 Clear Non-Skid with Carnauba.

And if you look at the results... the vinyl and floor both match, that is they are a very pristine beautiful white color just like new. (This is a 2001 boat).

Nice work guys!

Mike Phillips

Here's the graduating class for April 2015!

Eric Hutter

Jeff Wagner

Stephen Wines

Frank Saladrigas

Bob Ashley

Mike Hogan

Daniel Torres

Rinardo Wilson

Alex Rodrigues

Wayne Butts

Todd Maersch

Frank Maersch

Oscar Lee

Joe Guaino

Josue DeJesus

Bill Pagano

Anthony Camanile

Bill Allen

Derrick Steinke

Bryan Cook

Ed Yoder

Sam McGinley

Vaughn Collins

Kevin

Thanks everyone! This was a fun class and the boat looks better than new!

If you ever have any questions or need any help you're now part of the Marine 31 family, so don't hesitate to get a hold of either Nick or I.

Mike Phillips

Final results!

Here's where we started out from...

Here's a few beauty shots I took the next day as the boat was leaving....

Time to go fishing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast