autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Pictures & Comments 2019 Boat Detailing Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

Pictures & Comments 2019 Boat Detailing Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

It's Monday, the day after the big 2-day boat detailing class and it was another stellar, all hands-on experience for everyone that attended. We had 19 people attending the Saturday exterior detailing class and 17 people attending the Sunday interior detailing day and I'm happy to say both boats came out looking better than new!

Below are the pictures from the certification ceremony that takes place at the end of each day. More ACTION shots to come later this week. If you attended this class please post your comments to this thread and/or send them to me in an e-mail and I'll share them in this thread for you.

Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net

Group shot from the Saturday Class

John

David

Those that attended both days...

Thomas

Vino

Gunnar

Karl

Anthony

Darren

Bill

Steve

Natasha

Carol

Larry

Ulysses

Alex

Bo

Braden

Robbie

Heidi

Group shot from end of day on Sunday

Thank you to everyone that attended and worked so hard to take these boats from the rough condition they were in and truly turn them into Show Boats!

Also - HUGE THANK YOU to Andre for always helping out everywhere helps was needed as well as answering questions and sharing proper technique!

2. Likes Mortensendk liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures & Comments 2019 Boat Detailing Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

More...

Before each class starts, I first do a Test Spot to each boat to make sure,

A: The boat can be restored. Pretty easy to see I bring in really bad boats and it's possible for the pigmented gel-coat to be so bad it is past the point of no return - so I test.

B: To dial in a process that works 100% to create a showroom new finish. Then the class simply duplicates this process to the rest of the boat.

So here's my Test Spot for the 24' Edge Water

And here's the results from the Test Spot

The ghosting is gone and the results are a rich blue color as good as and in my opinion better than when it left the factory. I say this because most boat manufacturers finish out their boats with wool pads on rotary buffers.

And here's the FINAL RESULTS from the class!

Most boats I've seen and worked on have holograms from the factory. The finish on this Edgewater is hologram-free! For this reason it's in better condition now than most factory boats.

4. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures & Comments 2019 Boat Detailing Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

More...

Here's the section I'm going to do the test spot to BEFORE - so those holograms were in the boat when it arrived.

On the upper area you can see rub marks

I'm the ONLY guy that teaches a real boat class and the only guy that documents the before and after condition.

Here's machine sanded...

Here's after using the new RUPES LHR19E Rotary Polisher

Here's the after results after the Test Spot

And here's the FINAL RESULTS from the class!

Show car results on both boats.

Great work everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike and Andre,

This was my second class with you and Autogeek. I’ve been detailing for years, as a hobbyist. Since my retirement last year, I have been encouraged to get into the business full-time. Before I would even consider it, I wanted to better prepared and equipped. I don’t post much on the forum but read and watch videos.

I was always afraid to wet sand and using a rotary buffer. I believe if I was going to do anything, I better do it right!

So with that said, I’d like to share some thoughts and observations, especially for those who have been on the fence about taking any of these great classes.

1. Learning how to wet sand.
    One of my biggest fears! You can watch all the YouTube videos you want but their is no substitute for “Hands-On.”

2. Refining techniques.
    I have sat in classes before and watched the instructor do it but had very little, if any opportunity to do it under the guidance of an instructor. With these classes, you will get all the hands-on you want. In our 3 day class, we had 13 cars and the boat class two very large vessels. I was able to see where I was either doing things wrong or just not efficiently.

3. Having at our disposal so many great products that I have wanted to try but feasibly only have room for so much.

4. Using various tools.
    I know it’s seems a bit redundant considering above. With that said, I was able to use polishers that I had read about and watched videos on. The Griots 6” was a butt kicker as was the 3” polisher of the same name. I had always heard that they were but finally was able to use them both.

Also, being able to use the various Flex and Rupes machines. I was able to compare them and see the capabilities of each tool first-hand. It was like Christmas morning!

5. NO SALES PITCHES!
    Mike doesn’t play favorites and encouraged us to try different tools. He didn’t favor one line over another. Even if we asked to use something that was sitting on the side, he gladly allowed us. Talk about being a kid in a candy store.

Mike and Andre are constantly walking around and helping us with our techniques and skills. In the boat class, we took the windshields off the boats. What we thought would be a one-step situation to clean up some scratches didn’t work out that way. So we stepped back and Mike encouraged us to us our experiences and think about what we may have done in the past that might help.

In the end, after some testing, we used a two-step process with various products to achieve the results. We didn’t throw in the towel and accept it’s good enough. Mike pushed us to think and try.

Be ready for hard work!
    We started earlier and finished a tad later but the day flew by since it was labor of love.

Another aspect of class that may not be mentioned is the friendships that are built during those classes. Both times I stayed at the Courtyard Marriot nearby. Each Saturday night, Mike has an informal Meet & Greet where we have some dinner and just hang out. Then Mike goes around the table and will have introduce ourselves and will ask what was your favorite thing about the class or what toys do you have in your garage.

After he had left, most of just stayed and chatted. That to me was a great networking and learning experience too.

Sorry for the long post but I just can’t Thank Mike, Andre, Autogeek, and my fellow students for an absolutely awesome time and learning experience.

Steve

7. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by firecorgi View Post
    Mike and Andre,

This was my second class with you and Autogeek. I’ve been detailing for years, as a hobbyist. Since my retirement last year, I have been encouraged to get into the business full-time. Before I would even consider it, I wanted to better prepared and equipped. I don’t post much on the forum but read and watch videos.

I was always afraid to wet sand and using a rotary buffer. I believe if I was going to do anything, I better do it right!

So with that said, I’d like to share some thoughts and observations, especially for those who have been on the fence about taking any of these great classes.

1. Learning how to wet sand.
    One of my biggest fears! You can watch all the YouTube videos you want but their is no substitute for “Hands-On.”

2. Refining techniques.
    I have sat in classes before and watched the instructor do it but had very little, if any opportunity to do it under the guidance of an instructor. With these classes, you will get all the hands-on you want. In our 3 day class, we had 13 cars and the boat class two very large vessels. I was able to see where I was either doing things wrong or just not efficiently.

3. Having at our disposal so many great products that I have wanted to try but feasibly only have room for so much.

4. Using various tools.
    I know it’s seems a bit redundant considering above. With that said, I was able to use polishers that I had read about and watched videos on. The Griots 6” was a butt kicker as was the 3” polisher of the same name. I had always heard that they were but finally was able to use them both.

Also, being able to use the various Flex and Rupes machines. I was able to compare them and see the capabilities of each tool first-hand. It was like Christmas morning!

5. NO SALES PITCHES!
    Mike doesn’t play favorites and encouraged us to try different tools. He didn’t favor one line over another. Even if we asked to use something that was sitting on the side, he gladly allowed us. Talk about being a kid in a candy store.

Mike and Andre are constantly walking around and helping us with our techniques and skills. In the boat class, we took the windshields off the boats. What we thought would be a one-step situation to clean up some scratches didn’t work out that way. So we stepped back and Mike encouraged us to us our experiences and think about what we may have done in the past that might help.

In the end, after some testing, we used a two-step process with various products to achieve the results. We didn’t throw in the towel and accept it’s good enough. Mike pushed us to think and try.

Be ready for hard work!
    We started earlier and finished a tad later but the day flew by since it was labor of love.

Another aspect of class that may not be mentioned is the friendships that are built during those classes. Both times I stayed at the Courtyard Marriot nearby. Each Saturday night, Mike has an informal Meet & Greet where we have some dinner and just hang out. Then Mike goes around the table and will have introduce ourselves and will ask what was your favorite thing about the class or what toys do you have in your garage.

After he had left, most of just stayed and chatted. That to me was a great networking and learning experience too.

Sorry for the long post but I just can’t Thank Mike, Andre, Autogeek, and my fellow students for an absolutely awesome time and learning experience.

Steve

Thank you Steve for a very detailed review of both our 3-day Detailing Bootcamp Class and our 2-Day Boat Detailing Class.

I think you did a great job at both classes and just as important - you have done a great job of sharing with others exactly what our classes are like. Now my job is to get the pictures up from both classes to show-n-tell what you have described above. As they say,

A picture tells a thousand words!

Speaking of pictures, here's a few showing Steve on his feet, hands-on the tools, not sitting in chairs....

Machine sanding gel-coat with the FLEX 3401 Gear-driven Orbital Polisher

Here's Steve at the September, 2018 3-Day Detailing Bootcamp Class.

If you look closely, Steve is running a Griot's 3" Mini Polisher with some Mirka Abralon sanding disc RIGHT ALONG THE RASIED BODYLINE that runs down the middle of the trunk lid on a 1965 GTO.

What I teach in my wetsanding classes is due to the small, compact size of the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher and BECAUSE it only has a 5mm orbit stroke length, this makes is SUPER EASY to do precision machine sanding right next to edges or raised body lines WITHOUT sanding onto them as Steve demonstrates in the picture above.

After the entire 1965 Pontiac GTO was first hand sanded or "blocked", the class then refined their hand sanding marks by machine sanding. Here's Steve talking to another classmate about the sanded area on the driver's side.

Our classes are not only educational they are FUN!

Most people will never have the opportunity to WET SAND a 1965 GTO and not only learn how to wet sand but then learn how to use a rotary buffer with a wool pad and a compound to remove the sanding marks followed by how to remove the holograms and finish out to a swirl-free, show car finish (on an actual Showcar).

Thanks for your trust and attending 2 full-blown hands-on detailing classes Steve and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Mike Phillips

Continued.....

Here's a testimony e-mailed to me by Heidi, just one of 4 ladies that attended both days of the boat detailing class.

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi

Hi Mike,

Just wanted to let you know my comments thoughts and review of your boat detailing class. I usually don’t say much I just keep to myself I’m the people watcher, shy person I guess.

Here are my thoughts on your class…

I really thought it was going to be a sales pitch for products, book work, power points and safety. Praying I wasn’t wasting my money. I was so relieved when we started the 1st hour getting right into it. Your class was absolutely incredible!

Mike, It was really amazing you have a gift. I’m sure U have heard this a lot. I learned more from your class in the first 3 hours than I have ever learned from anyone, any marina, book, video, internet, etc.

The hands- on method 1st day is the best part. I feel you encourage, guide, and inspire everyone in the class. U can definitely see and hear the passion u have about these classes. Willing to go out of your way to make sure everyone understands. I know I will take everything u taught me to every business opportunity I have. I really can’t thank you enough!

The boat class is truly one of kind. I truely appreciate having the opportunity to take your class. It definitely was not a waste of time or money. Money well spent! I would rate it 10stars.

Thanks again,
    Heidi Felts
    DockSideReady Facebook Page

Thank you Heidi, it was a pleasure having you attend the class. Here's Heidi removing the holograms AFTER she machine sanded and cut the front of the hull using a rotary buffer, wool pad and compound.

Heidi tackled one of the hardest areas on this hull to sand, cut and buff.

Way to go Heidi!

Mike Phillips

More...

I've had a chance to go through and look at all of the pictures taken during the class and this is the only picture that shows people sitting down. All the other pictures show people on their feet working on the boats, from start to finish.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike & Andre

Thank you for all the work you did to put on this amazing class for us.

Was a bit apprehensive going to a class with a company selling products and equipment thinking we were going to sit through several sales pitches. Nothing could be further from the truth. After a quick hour of introductions it was right to work so if you think this is class room and power points you are wrong. Mike will put you right to work and not on junk yard boats, no this is the real thing and they will be delivered back to the customer so there is no room for not paying attention.

Wet sanding, compounding, polishing its all covered and there is ample opportunity to practice and hone your skills under the direction of Mike. How he is able to give everyone his attention, recommendation and knowledge is still a mystery for me but rest assured when you are in need of guidance he appears. You are not left alone.

The amount of product and equipment you are able to work with is extraordinary, from the old well known polishers to the newest still not on the market technology.

Mike gives his all during this class and it is a must if you want to build your marine detailing business. I came back home feeling like a boat detailing superhero and definitely a much better and wiser detailer/business person. There is little doubt that after this class you will separate yourself from most if not all your competition.

At this class the hands on work is the star and hi lunch was not too bad either

So when you have some real cool cars for your car class let me know, I will be going.

Bo Mortensen
    Pure Detailers

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mortensendk View Post
    Hi Mike & Andre

Thank you for all the work you did to put on this amazing class for us.

Was a bit apprehensive going to a class with a company selling products and equipment thinking we were going to sit through several sales pitches. Nothing could be further from the truth. After a quick hour of introductions it was right to work so if you think this is class room and power points you are wrong. Mike will put you right to work and not on junk yard boats, no this is the real thing and they will be delivered back to the customer so there is no room for not paying attention.

Wet sanding, compounding, polishing its all covered and there is ample opportunity to practice and hone your skills under the direction of Mike. How he is able to give everyone his attention, recommendation and knowledge is still a mystery for me but rest assured when you are in need of guidance he appears. You are not left alone.

The amount of product and equipment you are able to work with is extraordinary, from the old well known polishers to the newest still not on the market technology.

Mike gives his all during this class and it is a must if you want to build your marine detailing business. I came back home feeling like a boat detailing superhero and definitely a much better and wiser detailer/business person. There is little doubt that after this class you will separate yourself from most if not all your competition.

At this class the hands on work is the star and hi lunch was not too bad either

So when you have some real cool cars for your car class let me know, I will be going.

Bo Mortensen
    Pure Detailers

Thank you Bo.

Very nice, honest and accurate description of the class. I truly appreciate it.

I try to have cool cars for all my Roadshow classes but a lot of the control over the cars is simply out of my control.

When it comes to my classes here in Stuart, this is where I have full control and the pictures over the last 10 years showing over and over again the people that attend these classes working on incredible cars is the kind of documentation you simply cannot find for any other detailing class on Planet Earth.

13. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post