autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Here's the boat for the 2017 Boat Detailing Class - 25' Bluewater Center Console

Here's the boat for the 2017 Boat Detailing Class - 25' Bluewater Center Console

Now this is a real-world, hands-on learning experience. Learning to restore this boat back to new condition.

25' Bluewater Center Console

This class is coming up fast. It's the only class like it in the United States and as far as I can tell in the world.

Class date is Saturday, February 4th.

Class cost is $450.00

Here's the link to sign up on line

Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - February 4th, 2017

Or call Andre at

1-800-869-3011 x244

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Here's the boat for the 2017 Boat Detailing Class - 25' Bluewater Center Console

I wish I could attend but being under 25 a rental car is impossible to get. Seems like the perfect boat.

Mike Phillips

Re: Here's the boat for the 2017 Boat Detailing Class - 25' Bluewater Center Console

If you look carefully at these two pictures...

Especially this tighter shot of the side of the hull....

What you see are these lines showing where the last person that buffed out this boat tackled it section by section.

You can see the buffer trails which is the path the buffer was moved over the side of the hull.

My guess from looking at the appearance of the gel-coat is that like most boat detailers, the person that buffed this boat out did it the archaic old fashioned way using only a rotary buffer, wool pad and compound.

The results are holograms in the gel-coat, which lead to faster future oxidation and deterioration.

For anyone that doesn't know, holograms is the word used to describe and define the specific scratch pattern imparted into a surface from a rotary buffer and usually wool pads and compounds, polishes and cleaner/waxes. Just to note, you can also get holograms from foam pads on rotary buffers when used with compound, polishes and cleaner/waxes.

See my article here,

Holograms in gel-coat boats by Mike Phillips

What we teach here at our boat detailing class is how to remove gross oxidation without leaving holograms. We also teach how to machine damp sand to remove the heavy, deep oxidation instead of using the archaic caveman method of using a rotary buffer with a wool pad.

This class truly teaches how to work smarter instead of harder.

Post Thanks / Like

I need to get down there and take this class...

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a plan for which products you'll be using, Mike?
    Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by OTSDetail View Post

I need to get down there and take this class...
    Do it.

The most common question I get about the boat detailing class is,

When is the next class?

I get asked this AFTER the class.

Since we only teach it once a year the answer is,

Next year in February.

We'll be promoting it at MTE and at the Stuart Boat Show and historically this class always fills up.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post

Do you have a plan for which products you'll be using, Mike?

Yes.

Tools will include,

FLEX PE14 Rotary Polisher- Always the first rotary buffers to be grabbed by the students - For compounding

Makita Rotary Buffer - For compounding

DeWALT Rotary Buffer - For compounding

FLEX 3401 - For machine sanding

RUPES BigFoot 21, 15 and Duetto - for the finish polishing step

Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher - For machine sanding

Griot's Garage BOSS 21 and 15 - For the finish polishing step

For compounding and polishing we'll use Marine 31 Captain's One-Step Compound and Polish. Just read my boat detailing book and you'll see WHY we use this to both compound and polish the gel-coat to perfection.

For sealing the boat I have not decided yet. I want to showcase a coating since coatings will outlast waxes and sealants.

Then of course tons of other products for all the other areas of the boat we'll address.

Mike Phillips

Today's the day!

My good friend Lance Cedilla brought the boat by today with his big Dodge Truck. Lance is a very good friend to myself and also to Autogeek. Besides being a great friend he's also a master craftsman when it comes to upholstery for home, auto and marine.

Many of you have seen this car here at Autogeek and also on our first TV show, "What's in Autogeek's Garage"

Lance did the upholstery in this car and is very good friends with the owner and as such also got us this car for our TV show.

Blown 1934 Ford Pick-up - Show Car Makeover - Modeled by Kristin

Lance also brought us his brand new Ford Focus RS just a few weeks ago to use in our brand new Gyeon videos which Yancy is processing as I type.

So a huge shout out to my good friend Lance and thank you.

Back to the boat... it arrived today and while it was outside I took a few pictures to document the current condition and then I brought it inside and took a few more pictures using the SCANGRIP Multimatch light, (look for a review as soon as I get time), and also using the SCANGRIP Sunmatch light.

Here's our training boat for the class this Saturday. I've been told by Andre one guy had to cancel out so there's still time for one more person to get in on this class. The next class is NEXT YEAR.

Here you can really tell how the once dark green has now turned chalky white...

This is some type of paint repair...

Here's the boat inside. When I took this picture I had not yet changed the camera settings for inside the garage so it came out a little dark.

This is the side of the hull lit up using the SCANGRIP Multimatch on the SCANGRIP Tripod - Review coming soon...

Now time for the SCANGRIP Sunmatch swirl finder light

Here you can see painted gel-coat repairs and also HOLOGRAMS!

To get a hold of Andre call 1-800-869-3011 x244

Going out to do a Test Spot and will post pics later...

Mike Phillips

Here's the results from my Boat Test Spot

Before

After - This is machine sanded, rotary buffer compounded, Flex 3401 polished, RUPES BigFoot 21 Polished and Ceramic Coated

Mike Phillips

The 2017 Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class has come to and end and the people in the class were awesome the results they achieved were nothing short of phenomenal.

Here's one parting shot taken with my iPhone - more next week!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast