autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Which Lake Country Pad for Finesse it II

Hi all,

We sold our boat and bought a new one this year. The new boat is in good condition but it has a little oxidation on it. I had a lot of success on my old boat with Finesse it II to polish it up every few years and several coats of wax each year.

I was going to start this boat off the same way with finesse it II to polish then wax. I am using a new porter cable dual action polisher this year. I was curious which color Lake Country pad I should use with Finesse it.

I had good success on the old boat with the green pad for a cleaning wax and the blue pad for final wax.

Any help would be great

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which Lake Country Pad for Finesse it II

You have to try the pads you got and determine what works best, and is giving you the desired results.

Post Thanks / Like

What polisher were you using in the past?
    Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - John Lennon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wgkenney View Post
    Hi all,

We sold our boat and bought a new one this year. The new boat is in good condition but it has a little oxidation on it. I had a lot of success on my old boat with Finesse it II to polish it up every few years and several coats of wax each year.

I was going to start this boat off the same way with finesse it II to polish then wax. I am using a new porter cable dual action polisher this year. I was curious which color Lake Country pad I should use with Finesse it.

I had good success on the old boat with the green pad for a cleaning wax and the blue pad for final wax.

Any help would be great
    I personally think using a pc with finesse it will dry on you using a foam pad.I would go with Orange pad to remove the fade and keeping the polish going.make sure you get plenty of pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post
    You have to try the pads you got and determine what works best, and is giving you the desired results.
    You could try the LC Thin Pros Grey is very heavy cut, Orange has less cutting ability than grey and white is for polishing. But with gel coat and based on the condition of it, you may want to try the orange pad. Your pad selection will vary based on the condition of the gel coat. The LC Thin Pro line is great for the Porter Cable as they are designed to help eliminate stalling of the DA.

As Joe said you will have to test to see what gets you the results you want.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys,

I'll add an orange pad or two to my others and then try them out and see which works.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by High Caliber View Post
    You could try the LC Thin Pros Grey is very heavy cut, Orange has less cutting ability than grey and white is for polishing. But with gel coat and based on the condition of it, you may want to try the orange pad. Your pad selection will vary based on the condition of the gel coat. The LC Thin Pro line is great for the Porter Cable as they are designed to help eliminate stalling of the DA.

As Joe said you will have to test to see what gets you the results you want.
    Thanks, I order two orange and two grey last night. Along with my green and blue pads I should be able to find a combo that works for me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wgkenney View Post
    Thanks, I order two orange and two grey last night. Along with my green and blue pads I should be able to find a combo that works for me
    Always as a rule of thumb start with the least aggressive combo. You can lay a strip of tape down and then begin your test spot. Do one side with the green pad and the other side with the orange pad. Compare and go with the combo that produced the best result. If you still have oxidation left you may need to step up your polish to a compound and then run test spots with the orange and gray pad.. The grey pad is a very heavy cut and mostly pairs with compounds for heavy removal of material, in this case gelcoat.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, the gray pad I got was actually a finishing pad with no cut. I tried several combos and the gray / black pad seemed to work best. Key issue was that my porter cable is 2500 - 6500 opm and finesse it requires low speed. On my rotary I used wool pad at 1400 up to 2500. I just find the PC with foam pad much easier to handle up on the scaffold where I have to reach up above my head. I only glaze the boat every several years. In this case it is a "new to us" boat that needed some extra work after having been left of the hard for a year and half with no care.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

By the way, is there any way to convert RPM to OPM? The instructions on the compounds are in RPM and it would be helpful to get a sense for the equivalent OPM