autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

newbie wanting to wax and/or polish an old boat

I haven't read through enough threads yet so I don't claim to be totally unknowledgable nor an expert in any way, and I know there's plenty of redundant threads already so I will keep it simple.

I'm already currently learning about how to do automotive detailing (which is totally different than boat hull detailing I am sure), and I haven't even gotten to the polishing/waxing part yet as far as automotive detailing goes as I've spent my time doing the mundane maintenance (keeping the tires clean, cleaning the general body, dressing up the plastics/trim, etc).

I'm not looking to do anything ultra complex even as I learn more about it; there's so much I only want to do as the rest I probably will not care about.

So, is it possible as a newbie to do a general polish/wax (if waxing is even done to boats?) I already know about and have a dual action polisher and like I said I haven't really started ebbing into the polishing aspect but I will after I polish all the windows (water hard spots and I picked up duragloss 755 for that).

The boat I want to do is over 20 years old; has only been polished a handful of times, its heavily oxidized/luster has been lost and I don't know if holograms are important or not (its not my boat, belongs to my relatives and they are wondering if I would like to try doing it just for fun; but I am not going to do it unless I have a good base understanding first).

I know there are a lot of compounds & polishes so I definitely want to keep it simple (that doesn't mean cheap or easy, just simple). Are one step compound/polishers better for my needs?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: newbie wanting to wax and/or polish an old boat

I like meguiars marine/rv one step compound. It removes pretty heavy oxidation and works pretty well with DA polishers

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kengo123 View Post
    I like meguiars marine/rv one step compound. It removes pretty heavy oxidation and works pretty well with DA polishers
    will I get a shine out of it? And what about holograms?

If it were MY boat, I wouldn't care about the holograms unless it were a show boat then I would, but its not a show boat nor is it mine so I need to be able to tell my folks since they are going to buy the supplies and I'll provide the equipment/labor.

And what pad(s) do I need to use? will I need to use more than one pad for the one step process? (fine with me if I do, I just need to know).

This doesn't sound as hard as it seems it can be.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

hmm ok can't find the edit button so I looked at the meguiars marine one step compound; it doesn't say anything about it having wax included so I assume this is a 2nd step? (which I would not mind doing)

I noticed a lot of people are using wool pads of some sort and I am familiar with LC and groits garage which both have good pads so what do I use for the one step compound and waxing?

Also what do I use for dealing with the metal and rubber? I assume I shouldn't do anything to the window frames, but there's a steel band that runs alongside the shape of the hull that I've been warned to be careful of when doing the polishing process (not sure about the waxing) and I noticed there's a Meguiars product for conditioning the rubber & vinyl that supports the metal bands and the upholstery since its made of vinyl.

Post Thanks / Like

I think what Meguiar's is saying is...compound and polish in one. Hence a follow up 'polish' isn't needed.

On the back of the bottle is does say, "For long lasting protection, follow with Meguiar's No 56 Marine/RV Pure Wax."

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    I think what Meguiar's is saying is...compound and polish in one. Hence a follow up 'polish' isn't needed.

On the back of the bottle is does say, "For long lasting protection, follow with Meguiar's No 56 Marine/RV Pure Wax."

Bill
    awesome thanks

I found other products that help with the metal/rubber/vinyl along with it by the same brand too

So does anybody know about hologram issues with using these products or if that's even a concern?

Also am I supposed to only use wool pads? Or should I use a heavy cutting pad then go back over with wool? I understand that wool can leave behind some and so a finishing pad would be used to eliminate that from what I understand.

Also I assume I should also wash the boat before polishing and is there any need to clay the boat before putting the wax on like it would be done to automobile vehicles?
    Last edited by mynetdude; 08-27-2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: adding another question and re-ordering them