autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also if they keep the boat in the water the need to do a good bottom paint from the water line down. Otherwise the hull will overtime absorb water and start cracking on the gelcoat. That's how it is here for me in a freshwater situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also I use orange css pads on my da for heavy oxidation and a pink css for well maintained cleaner boats. As for pricing the local standard here is 12 dollars a foot for the hull and 6 a foot for the top side just polishing and wax or sealant. That's for your typical 36ft or smaller boats. Anything with a fly bridge or much larger top side is priced on a per job basis.

I'm no expert on detailing just a hobby mostly and some side work but I've never walked away from a boat that the owner wasn't very impressed by my work.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with 21ft 1991 Bayliner Trophy Boat Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by Trutech74 View Post
    Anything you may have for a car will work on marine gelcoat finishes. Gelcoat is extremely durable and takes a little more work due to the usual inability to wash and wax while in the water all year and in my experience people don't seem to do much maintenance on the outside of their boats. I use chemical guys phase v compound /polish followed by jetseal on the boats I do. If I have any trouble with misc spots I will pull out a heavier cut compound but mostly keeping da pads clean is the most important. On boats your pads typically get a bit funky faster than working a car.
    Thanks Trutech,

AutoGeek took a long, long time shipping my items for some reason (and some still have not arrived -- back-ordered now), so by the time the order arrived that client was long gone. It ended up costing us in the end, we explained our newest shipment had not arrived as expected.

I also called and spoke directly with whomever answers the phone at Menzerna, and they told me my 1500 would work perfectly on the white clear coat. Well, it didn't... and actually ended up staining the clear coat since their product is black. That took a while to remove.

Really odd and uncharacteristically bad service from both organizations in total.
    "Don't Drive Dull!"
    Carsmetic Rehabilitation Detailologist: Aesthetic Actualization

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Detailing View Post
    Thanks Trutech,

AutoGeek took a long, long time shipping my items for some reason (and some still have not arrived -- back-ordered now), so by the time the order arrived that client was long gone. It ended up costing us in the end, we explained our newest shipment had not arrived as expected.

I also called and spoke directly with whomever answers the phone at Menzerna, and they told me my 1500 would work perfectly on the white clear coat. Well, it didn't... and actually ended up staining the clear coat since their product is black. That took a while to remove.

Really odd and uncharacteristically bad service from both organizations in total.
    see post 4;

aquabuff is white. white doesn't stain porosity.
    I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by primo spaghetti View Post
    see post 4;

aquabuff is white. white doesn't stain porosity.
    see post 13;

Unfortunately my order didn't even ship for nearly a week after I placed it, let alone arrive... so although I ordered some of AG's Marine 31 products (I couldn't find AquaBuff on AG's site), I was left with what I had on hand, which Menzerna assured me would be perfectly fine.
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

no sir, the black pigment is not the best or ideal product.

gel is full of microscopic pinholes called porosity. always try and stay with white polishes/compounds where possible.

Aquabuff is readily available, but agreed, not on AG.

do yourself a favour, if youre going to be getting into boats, and if you only take one piece of advice from me, aquabuff and a rotary are the way to do a boat.

Post Thanks / Like

gel is full of microscopic pinholes called porosity. always try and stay with white polishes/compounds where possible.

Tell Menzerna that

I actually questioned their advice on the phone, right from the client's driveway... it was kind of awkward, and the person who answered the phone at Menzerna seemed a little perturbed and rude. That's alright though, there are PLENTY of other options out there for my next order, I don't have to stay with a company that doles out incorrect advice and costs businesses money and time.
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

do yourself a favour, if youre going to be getting into boats, and if you only take one piece of advice from me, aquabuff and a rotary are the way to do a boat.
    Hmm interesting to know. No products I have ever used are black so I've never ran into that issue myself thankfully.

Post Thanks / Like

when i worked in the boat building industry, we moved away from Megs #4 (i think thats what it was) because it was a beige colour compound, and the polish, was a browner colour. it was a bugger to get out of the porosity. when we made the move to aquabuff it was unreal the difference, and the less cleanup we had was great.

i may have said it somewhere else before, but we were building million plus dollar yachts (Neptunus) so anyone should be happy with the products we were using at the factory.

The closest comparison, (again not on AG as of yet) is the Scholl concepts line of marine polishes and compounds. someone has got to get the ear of a purchaser and expand the scholl line, and heck, even bring in the Aqua Buff.

Super Member antti@561detailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...coat-boat.html
    most likely this is what you are looking at...15 guys for 4 hours...wait ... it's a white boat...maybe you can do it on 50 hours ... Mike has boating forum...I am sure...marine 31 forum has more answers...
    561 Car Detailing Gtechniq Accredited Detailer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast