autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some boat detailing process advises!

I knew the time would come when I could not find an excuse to not detail boat, so here is my attempt at transitioning from automotive to boats.

One of my very good friend approached me about detailing his 29 ft Mako. The boat was refurbished over the last year and he is ready to put it in the capable hands of his buddy to beautify.

The deck was refinished using Awlgrip paint (not familiar with the product). The hull was reburbed by a fiberglass guy about a year ago, so compounded and polished but nothing since. His main eyesore is the aluminum surrounding the main cabin and the flybridge. He is unsure if it is anodized, coated etc... Lastly he wants the vinyl (seats, cushion, etc...) cleaned and protected.

I would like to ask for your expertise.

P.S. I did see the Marine 31 products on sale so I thought it would be a great opportunity to try them?!?

Please share your suggestions even if it does not the above mentioned.

Truly appreciative,

Claude

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some boat detailing process advises!

Awlgrip is a paint very similiar to Imron, It is a hard paint but you should be able to work on it using any automotive type polishes or waxes but I would not use the Marine polishes on it.

If the sides are gelcoat,they can be polished using Marine polish which has more oils to keep it from drying out while working it. For protection you can use automotive wax or marine wax. I personally like Meguirs Flagship Marine which comes as a cleaner wax or you can buy just the straight wax with no cleaning abilities.

As far as the aluminum, if its bare aluminum,a good aluminum polish should work,but if its anodized,it would harm the surface but someone else should chime in here that has more experience with anodized.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input! Welcoming more opinions. I do like the idea of using automotive products since I do have my fair share of those.

I haven't seen the boat yet. I guess it will become clear once I see it (at least for the aluminum)

Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like
    All depends on the condition, I buff my fiberglass trailer(kinda the same) so I'll help any way I can. For the interior vinyl I would use 303 protectant for the vinyl.

For the gel coat, Meguiars makes some good products. I've used them in the past with good results. Only thing I hate is the amount of oil megs put in. It kinda makes the surface look better than it is. Other than that can't complain.

You could get away with a DA, but I highly recommend a rotary. Just makes life easier. If you want perfection you could use the DA for the polishing step and a rotary for the compounding step.

I will say, working on gelcoat is a ton harder than cars or trucks. Once you do one , cars and trucks seem like cake walk. At least it does for me.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

For any kind of gelcoat on boats: skip the DA and head straight for a rotary+wool.

Mike Philips has a great video on detailing boats, its like an hour long. He goes over the process and products he uses on just about every surface on that thing. I'll see if I can't find it for you

EDIT: Here it is:
    One thing to keep in mind is that he is dealing with a couple who knows nothing about detailing, specifically machine polishing. He gives them DA's because they're new, but for gelcoat you really want to go with a rotary(which he will tell you himself, if I recall correctly).

Post Thanks / Like

Since the Marine 31 products are on sale, any recommendation on those?

I did watch Mike's vids and feel a little better about taking on the job. Just want product recommendation, especially for aluminum

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post
    Since the Marine 31 products are on sale, any recommendation on those?

I did watch Mike's vids and feel a little better about taking on the job. Just want product recommendation, especially for aluminum
    Never heard of them, but for aluminum, any metal polish will do honestly.

Wish list:

Post Thanks / Like

Only thing I can add is make sure it isn't in the water. It can be very difficult when it is. :-)

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

I knew the time would come when I could not find an excuse to not detail boat, so here is my attempt at transitioning from automotive to boats.

One of my very good friend approached me about detailing his 29 ft Mako. The boat was refurbished over the last year and he is ready to put it in the capable hands of his buddy to beautify.
    Have no fear - Marine 31 is here!

The deck was refinished using Awlgrip paint (not familiar with the product).
    You'll want to avoid the heavier cut compounds and polishes on this type of paint, but you can use Marine 31 All-In-One Gel Coat Polish & Wax. This will lightly polish the paint while leaving down a durable, high-gloss layer of wax protection.

The hull was reburbed by a fiberglass guy about a year ago, so compounded and polished but nothing since.
    If the hull is in relatively good shape, I would use Marine 31 Gel Coat Final Step Polish followed by Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant. This will remove any light oxidation, surface staining and yellowing while feeding the gel coat essential oils. Carnauba Wax + Sealant will lock in the shine while providing durable protection.

His main eyesore is the aluminum surrounding the main cabin and the flybridge. He is unsure if it is anodized, coated etc...
    Most likely it is aluminum. If it is aluminum, you can use Marine 31 Finish Cut Metal Restoring Polish on a WOOL pad (rotary or DA) to restore the shine and luster. Protect the finish and lock in the shine with Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant.

Lastly he wants the vinyl (seats, cushion, etc...) cleaned and protected.
    If the vinyl surfaces aren't too dirty, you can take the simple approach and use Marine 31 Vinyl Cleaner & Conditioner. This product is formulated to both clean and protect vinyl surfaces. It is formulated with Ciba Tinuvin UV inhibitors, which provide the best UV protection money can buy.

If the vinyl surfaces are heavily soiled, I would recommend using Marine 31 Port to Starboard All Purpose Cleaner first. You can use this APC to clean virtually anything and because it's concentrated, you can dilute it accordingly for each surface. Follow up with Marine 31 Vinyl Cleaner & Conditioner to protect the finish.

I would like to ask for your expertise.

P.S. I did see the Marine 31 products on sale so I thought it would be a great opportunity to try them?!?

Please share your suggestions even if it does not the above mentioned.

Truly appreciative,

Claude
    Marine 31 Waxes, Cleaners & Polishes were developed right here in South Florida and we spent A LOT of time fine-tuning each product to ensure they were exceptionally easy to use, even in direct sunlight. We also spent a lot of time talking to local marinas and avid boating enthusiasts to see what THEY would like to see in a marine care product. The universal response was "eco-friendly" and "easy to use" and we're proud to say that each and every Marine 31 product is harbor-safe, eco-friendly and VERY easy to use.

If you want to take the SIMPLE approach to boat care, Marine 31 Waxes, Cleaners & Polishes is the way to go.

Recommended products:

Marine 31 All-In-One Gel Coat Polish & Wax
    Marine 31 Port to Starboard All Purpose Cleaner
    Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant
    Marine 31 Gel Coat Final Step Polish
    Marine 31 Finish Cut Metal Restoring Polish
    Marine 31 Vinyl Cleaner & Conditioner

And yes, the complete line is on sale through the weekend.

Marine 31 - Waxes, Cleaners & Polishes

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick never fails to amaze! Seems like a great product!

Wish list:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast