autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

which DA machine?

Hello, I'm ready to make my first DA purchase for my boat and would like to know what you would start with?

I would like to have an all-in-one unit, but it just seem with all that I've read, that two units may be the way to go. One smaller machine for the detailing of the corners, tight areas and windshield and a larger unit for the hull and the larger sections.

There is no oxidation or any type of cutting that needs to be done (at this time) due to it being a 2012 model, so I'll mainly be using the DA for maintenance and applying/buffing the Meguire's #20 Polymer. I really like the results of this product!

a short list of ideal DA polishers, pad types and any other items that are an absolute, would be greatly appreciated!!

This is on a 25' bow rider

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: which DA machine?

Pretty much any DA will do the trick. Meg's, Porter Cable, Griots or Flex. Just depends on how much you want to spend. Just for maintenance, I would use any type of polishing pad, (no cut properties, just polishing) such as Lake country, Cobra or Meg's MF. Could use Pinnacle XMT 360 polish, cleans corrects and polishes AIO. Just my quick recco's.
    If your budget allows, I would definitely get the Flex DA. Its the closest to high speed rotary without the dangers of burning paint. Works in half the time that the lower end DA's work, probably half the time to be exact.
    Last edited by IconicDetailing; 06-12-2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Added info

Post Thanks / Like

Re: which DA machine?

Thanks for the recommendations! Much appreciated!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by master_photog View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations! Much appreciated!!
    If you promise to diligently maintain your new vessal, a Porter Cable 7424xp
    is all you will need.

Don't forget to use your favorite spray wax every time you shampo.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by KKYS View Post
    is all you will need.

Accurate and true. Good answer.

"Find something you like and use it often"

The finish on your car, boat, truck, motorcycle, etc, will only go down hill if you neglect it. If you regularly maintain it the way we all regularly change our oil it will always look brand new and you won't need a heavy compound and a rotary buffer to undo months or years of neglect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KKYS View Post
    is all you will need.

KKYS, thanks for the tips. I am leaning toward the PC7424XP but have not made that decision yet.

Can you expand on your "don't forget to use your favorite spray wax everytime after you shampoo" comment?

What I struggle with is when and at what frequency do I apply the #135 spray detailer and the #20 Polymer Sealant

The 3 most used products I have is:

Ultima Paint Guard Wash
    Meguiar's #135 spray detailer
    Meguiar's #20 Polymer Sealant

These products do a great job in detailing how to apply them, but offer little guidance as to when to use them and how to incorporate other products with the use of any said product.

I constantly question if:

I'm using the polymer#20 too often
    I'm using the polymer#20 not often enough
    I'm using the polymer#20 too soon before or after the spray detailer #135

How does one know how and when to use (in this case), these three products? The reason I got these products was from the amount of data I put together after reading all the replies and reviews on new boat maintenance.

The Meguiar's #135 and the #20 were clear winners, but I still am unclear as to when I should and should not use these products. My primary goal is to keep the boat in top condition, which I've done to this point. My second goal is to not waste product/money on redundant overuse of these products.

Thanks for any help!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by master_photog View Post
    KKYS, thanks for the tips. I am leaning toward the PC7424XP but have not made that decision yet.

Can you expand on your "don't forget to use your favorite spray wax everytime after you shampoo" comment?

What I struggle with is when and at what frequency do I apply the #135 spray detailer and the #20 Polymer Sealant

The 3 most used products I have is:

Ultima Paint Guard Wash
    Meguiar's #135 spray detailer
    Meguiar's #20 Polymer Sealant

These products do a great job in detailing how to apply them, but offer little guidance as to when to use them and how to incorporate other products with the use of any said product.

I constantly question if:

I'm using the polymer#20 too often
    I'm using the polymer#20 not often enough
    I'm using the polymer#20 too soon before or after the spray detailer #135

How does one know how and when to use (in this case), these three products? The reason I got these products was from the amount of data I put together after reading all the replies and reviews on new boat maintenance.

The Meguiar's #135 and the #20 were clear winners, but I still am unclear as to when I should and should not use these products. My primary goal is to keep the boat in top condition, which I've done to this point. My second goal is to not waste product/money on redundant overuse of these products.

Thanks for any help!!
    You ask alot of good and important questions that deserve some sort of answer.

But I can't give you all the absolute answers.

Heres why:

I don't know how your vessal is stored , I don't know what part of the country your
    vessal is in, how often you use the vessal and the people traffic onboard, saltwater or fresh water.

So the best generic mantaince advice I can give you is , shampo your vessal after
    every time you take it out and spritz a little spray wax on it.
    If you do that, you should only have to buff in a cleaner wax/sealant once a year.

Post Thanks / Like

i have the PC, but id love to get a flex da...unfortunately the cheap scottsman in me went for the 150 polisher instead of the 300 polisher.

but mark my words, the flex will be in my future...
    I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune