autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone with experience using 3M Cleaner & Wax?

I purchased this a few months back in anticipation of getting to it for a contract I have doing boats for a marina. Today was the first time using it and i'm not so sure i'm satisfied with the results I was given. I started out using a LC CCS green pad and a PC on setting 5. This did absolutely nothing to the very light oxidation, it barely removed some water spotting! I stepped it to setting 6 and got a little improvement, but not what I was hoping for. Then I thought I'll give the LC CCS orange pad a try on setting 6 and it was a very noticeable difference, but again, it just wasnt the finish I had hoped for. My client was more than pleased with the results, but myself not so much. Keep in mind the boats i'm doing are no more than two years old, stored out of water after each season and typically dont have extreme oxidation, just very light dullness to the finish so I wouldnt think a dedicated compound would be needed...

So I guess my question would be, is 3M Cleaner & Wax designed for boats that are right off the showroom floor or what? I've got some Meguiars Mirror Glaze #49 Oxidation Remover Heavy Duty Cleaner on it's way from a order placed on Saturday, perhaps this product will yield the results I expect. I even read that XMT360 was a great AIO for gelcoats, but if it's not as aggressive than 3M's Cleaner Wax then it wouldnt prove to help me.

I'd very much like to hear what some of you do for very light oxidation removal...pad/product combination for PC or for a rotary (would like to accomplish this without the use of a rotary if possible, to reduce the chances of inducing swirls, but will use it if necessary)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone with experience using 3M Cleaner & Wax?

I'll be blunt and honest ......
    Cleaner/waxes and cleaner/sealants don't remove noticable oxidation on Gelcoat in a timely manor.
    It's marketing BS....
    I realize we all like AIOs as time savers and they have a purpose, but they don't work well on oxidized gelcoat. We prefurr to use a straight polish like PB SSR2 or simalar on light oxidation.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I forgot to post about pads......
    For light oxidation on gelcoat with the right polish.....
    The LC purple compressor is a good alturnitive to wool on a rotory.

Post Thanks / Like

I've recommended XMT360 recently on gelcoat. It can be a bit weather sensitive, but overall i'm very happy with this product on boats. Rotary friendly, recommended for gelcoats, has some diminishing abrasives for a bit of extra bite.

rotary polisher, 3m waffle foam pad (white / compounding), XMT360. I've used it with a DA also, but the rotary gets better results.

I have the 3m marine restorer & wax. I use that by hand for smaller areas when needed. But be careful if there is heavy oxidation because the product is brown so it'll want to stain the hull a bit.

Cleaner waxes have their limits for sure. but don't throw in the towel just yet.

If its heavily oxidized, forget the cleaner wax. But they definitely have there place.
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc. - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Yesterday I tried a 3M white pad with some of the XMT360 and it did help speed up the process, but didnt yield the results, again. I have three boats to tackle tomorrow and one of them is oxidized. My plan is to use Meg's Heavy Oxidation Remover from their Marine line. Hope everything goes as planned because i'm starting to get quite annoyed with trying to get that "magical" product lineup that works!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

Yesterday I tried a 3M white pad with some of the XMT360 and it did help speed up the process, but didnt yield the results, again. I have three boats to tackle tomorrow and one of them is oxidized. My plan is to use Meg's Heavy Oxidation Remover from their Marine line. Hope everything goes as planned because i'm starting to get quite annoyed with trying to get that "magical" product lineup that works!

how big are these boats if you're planning 3 in one day? in&out or hull only? because obviously you'll need a followup wax step being that the megs oxidation remover leaves no protection behind.

Is this your first experience with marine detailing? you may find its not that easy. I certainly do not know it all. but with every job you learn a little more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gurge View Post
    how big are these boats if you're planning 3 in one day? in&out or hull only? because obviously you'll need a followup wax step being that the megs oxidation remover leaves no protection behind.

Is this your first experience with marine detailing? you may find its not that easy. I certainly do not know it all. but with every job you learn a little more.
    It varies as to how many I do in a day. Typically it's two a day but maybe a pontoon will be thrown in, making three. That was the case in my previous post when i stated three boats. It was really two boats and a pontoon.

As for size of the boats i'm doing... they range from 20'-26' but some of my customers clients have larger boats than that, for the most part they're all wakeboard boats though. My customer sells the detailing packages I created for him, books the appoinments with his client, then calls me for availability. Not every visit is a full in and out, some times it's only one or the other. I do have employees so with that in mind that's how I can get more done in a days time.

This is really the start of me doing any marine vessels and i've found out it's a different ball game than automotive. I do enjoy it though where as I see so many other folks say they don't like doing them. Like you mention, I'm learning something new on each boat I detail, which products actually do as they state, which ones dont...it's a challenge for sure but one that i'm willing to tackle for the experience and revenue!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme View Post
    It varies as to how many I do in a day. Typically it's two a day but maybe a pontoon will be thrown in, making three. That was the case in my previous post when i stated three boats. It was really two boats and a pontoon.

As for size of the boats i'm doing... they range from 20'-26' but some of my customers clients have larger boats than that, for the most part they're all wakeboard boats though. My customer sells the detailing packages I created for him, books the appoinments with his client, then calls me for availability. Not every visit is a full in and out, some times it's only one or the other. I do have employees so with that in mind that's how I can get more done in a days time.

This is really the start of me doing any marine vessels and i've found out it's a different ball game than automotive. I do enjoy it though where as I see so many other folks say they don't like doing them. Like you mention, I'm learning something new on each boat I detail, which products actually do as they state, which ones dont...it's a challenge for sure but one that i'm willing to tackle for the experience and revenue!

I see now. thought you were a 1 man operation doing multiple large boats in & out in the same day.

its definitely a different ballgame. but it is rewarding. and as mentioned it seems to pay well.

I primarily do saltwater fishing boats. nothing like that race boat you posted in the other thread. pretty cool. but not sure i'd wax that entire thing by hand. ooof...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gurge View Post
    I see now. thought you were a 1 man operation doing multiple large boats in & out in the same day.

its definitely a different ballgame. but it is rewarding. and as mentioned it seems to pay well.

I primarily do saltwater fishing boats. nothing like that race boat you posted in the other thread. pretty cool. but not sure i'd wax that entire thing by hand. ooof...
    I agree, it's very rewarding. I think the thing I like best about tackling a boat is it changes up the routine of doing cars everyday and challenges you to learn new things or ways of doing things. The marina I have under contract right now is fantastic to work for and when you have good people working with you it just seems to make the job a bit easier. Exception to that statement is when you are requested to hand wax...man was that brutal on my arms and knees! lol It was well worth it though to have a boat of that caliber in my flashbook/gallery.

Do you have to approach saltwater boats differently than fresh water boats? Such as products or cleaning methods? I assume they spot up and oxidize quicker do to the salt...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit late to the party, but I thought I would chime in anyway.

Tried the 3M Cleaning/Polishing on my last haul out (last year) and it was absolute rubbish. What a waste of time and money; not to mention the fact that it was a killer to use. Tried LC yellow, then orange. Both were really grabby. Ended up with whool "Aggressor" pads (using a Makita rotary) and it fuc***g near killed me. Save your money.

I just finished (last week) our (new to us) 32' Bayliner. Used 3M Rubbing Compound, followed by 3M Finnesse it II, followed by Collinite. Amazing results.

The 3M Rubbing Compound was REALLY dusty. It made a hell of a mess of the boat and the dock. The marina manager made me clean it up. It was brutal. I have had good luck with Meguires #49 tho' and will probably go back to it in the future.

However, this stuff is getting 'rave reviews' up here in the Great White North:

Super Cut Compound It's sold by Sherwin Williams automotive division up here - don't know who carries it down there.

I really like the 3M Finnesse it II. It's a bit spendy, about $60/32 oz up here, but it's one of the best products I have found in a long time.

Here's a link to some pics of my boat project:

Detailing pics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast