autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New to Forum

Post Thanks / Like

New to Forum

Hey guys, new to the forum just signed up. I just purchased a new to me jeep srt8, black. I've never owned a black car so I picked up some good products from here to get it looking back to new. Used Pinnacle but wasn't that impressed. Anyways, this is a boat section-- aint it? Here's my boat, 29 Kryptonite, 548CI 650hp 662tq puts it into the low 90's. I use rotary with a wool pad and use a product called Hula Boat Care. If you have gelcoat, you must try this stuff. Simply amazing. I'm extremly detailed with my boat and I've tried literally everything on the market. No compound cuts as well or is as easy to work with as this stuff. Their sealant is far better than collonite 845 (i know.... bold statement). But, I guess thats like comparing apples to oranges.... collonite being a carnuba wax.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to Forum-photo_1-jpg   New to Forum-photo_2-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to Forum

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the boat and new jeep!!!
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

to AGO!
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard and best of luck with the new Jeep!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO. Sorry you weren't impressed with the Pinnacle product, what products did you try from them anyway? As for Boat detailing I don't get many boat jobs, but both Meguiars and Gel Coat Labs make products that work flawlessly, AND they can be bought from the AG store!

As for the Collinite, it's been around for nearly 100 years, so I think you would be hard pressed to get many Colli diehards to change their minds. If you don't minde me asking, what is the cost of the sealant you use?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercraft241 View Post
    Hey guys, new to the forum just signed up. I just purchased a new to me jeep srt8, black. I've never owned a black car so I picked up some good products from here to get it looking back to new. Used Pinnacle but wasn't that impressed.
    Understandable. Maybe let us know what you used and how you used it?

Here's some results from Pinnacle on black...

1966 Corvette Stingray - Machine Polish & Machine Wax

On August 18th and 19th, Matt Steele and I made a series of now how-to videos and for these new videos I rounded up some cool cars to work on.

Video Shoot with Matt Steele at Autogeek’s Show Car Garage TV Studio

All the cars needed work, either swirls removed, bird dropping etchings removed, etc. One of the cars belongs to my good friend Craig Danzig and upon close inspection I found a lot of Random Isolated Deeper Scratches plus the normal swirls and scratches common to so many cars. Craig let me know that many of the scratches are caused by their pet cat and please no cat remedies as Craig let me know the cat is an important member of their family. (So no cat posts or I'll delete them).

But this isn't a "car", it's a 1966 Corvette Stingray that was a "Barn Find" and then restored to it's almost pristine condition it's in today. We also shared the story behind this Corvette on our TV show, What's in the Garage?, which we'll be shooting Season 2 starting in January.

Episode 5 - Stuart, Florida - Corvette Barn Story in this Episode

All of the cars arrived either Wednesday night or Thursday morning which was perfect for all the claying, swirl removal and machine waxing steps we needed to shoot in the videos. This also means there was no time to finish buffing out the cars on Thursday and Friday. If you've ever been involved with making a video you can understand how long it can take to prepare and shoot individual segments.

The 2011 Camaro we used is coming back in the next week or so, it belongs to my friend Rene and I'm going to provide some personal, one-on-one training for him and the President of the local Camaro club they belong to, so you'll see it in a future write-up. (Bird dropping etchings).

The 2003 Corvette I machine waxed, the 2007 Mustang I removed the swirls and machine waxed, but this 1966 Corvette need a little more TLC so I saved it for Saturday.

I wrote an article about starting a detailing business, the focus on the article is about teaching people new to detailing as a part time venture to learn right at the start to match their services to their customer, here's the article,

A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business

Following my own advice and knowing this really cool car is going back to the same parking space in Craig's garage that the cat has access to I didn't try to remove all the deeper swirls and scratches because it's highly likely that it's going to see a few more into the future.

What I did do is remove a majority of all the shallow swirls and scratches and then polish the clearcoat till it's was clear and glossy and then I machine waxed it using Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax.

I arrived at work at 8:00am and only had till 4:00pm to do the entire job so I kept my process simple but effective.

Process
    Wiped car down the day before using DP Waterless Wash & Gloss but gave it another wipe to remove any accumulated dust.

Note: Unless the owner tells you it's okay to wash their car with water it's a good practice not to wash classics like this with water because you'll introduce water to places you cannot reach to dry and this can promote the formation of rust.

Step 1 - Remove Swirls using Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover

Step 2 - Polished the paint to a clear, high gloss using Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish

Step 3 - Machine applied Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax

Step 4 - Cleaned, conditioned and protected leather and vinyl using Pinnacle Leather Cleaner & Conditioner

All machine steps performed using a PC 7424XP with 5.5" Lake Country Flat Pads, (Orange, White and Blue)

Here's some pictures from this detailing project...

Before

After

Interior
    Note this car was restored and very low mileage since the restoration so the interior is still in excellent condition but you can see where the Pinnacle Leather Cleaner & Conditioner restored the richness of color to the black leather and vinyl surfaces.

Parting shots...

And late Saturday afternoon Craig takes his baby home before the rain starts...

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercraft241 View Post

Anyways, this is a boat section-- aint it? Here's my boat, 29 Kryptonite, 548CI 650hp 662tq puts it into the low 90's.
    That's fast and very cool looking boat. 90+ miles per hour on the water is really fast, especially with the wind hitting you head on... I clocked 111 in my boat and at that speed Mosquitoes feel like BB's from a BB Gun.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, pinnacle left a nice shine, but the three step process was too much for me. I purchased the pinnacle kit from AG... and the finish was almost perfect, but for the amount of steps I had to put into it.... it better be perfect! I usedthe 7424xp, used each step using a 2x2 area until the product was broken down. I'd then wipe and move onto the next spot. I was thinking about trying extreme gloss it with opti 2? Or something with more cutting ability and less steps. I know the basics well and would consider myself a better than average detailer. Here's what the car looked like after I finished with pinnacle. I left the liscence plate on for a before after shot. Cleaned it up after I took the pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to Forum-photo_1-jpg   New to Forum-photo_3-jpg   New to Forum-photo_2-jpg   New to Forum-photo_4-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Pinnacle worked pretty good on the jeep.
    Ryan Gville,LA

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO!