autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Post fire soot removal

On Monday the storage unit where I store my boat had a fire in one of the other units. Not getting into the insurance/responsibility side of the issue, I would like to get the residual soot off my boat sooner than later. The soot appears to be mostly dry in nature, but it is so fine that if you touch it with you fingers its difficult to remove even with soap and water, so there has to be some oily component to it. Before I go into testing out some degreasers on both the gelcoat and the interior, I was wondering if anyone has had experience cleaning up a mess of this nature. I an thinking the following:

1. Hook it up to my truck and take it for a drive down the road to let the wind blow off what it will
    2. Go over the boat lightly with a Swiffer type product to see what more may be removed (hopefully it doesn't become a smeary mess)
    3. Pressure Wash the boat down with some sort of degreaser solution to help break up what may be left and rinse thoroughly
    4. Rewash the boat with a milder carwash solution
    5. Buff as necessary.

The interior will have to be scrubbed and the carpet extracted. Right now there doesn't appear to be much of a smell, but I am sure once the residue gets wet there me be an odor, I will deal with that when it happens.

I have attached pics of the current condition as it sits... (sorry if they are flopped over)

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post fire soot removal-soot9-jpg   Post fire soot removal-soot8-jpg   Post fire soot removal-soot7-jpg   Post fire soot removal-soot10-jpg   Post fire soot removal-soot4-jpg