autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Polishing gelcoat and preparing for ceramic

I have a brand new Malibu 23 LSV being built in a month, and am wanting to really make the gelcoat pop. Forgive my ignorance, but I'm new to working with gelcoat. I'm expecting some light swirling and some hazing from polishing at the factory. I have a Griots 6 in Orbital buffer that I will be using. Will buy a rotary if need be, but hoping its not needed.

First, pads. I've read several pad threads on here, and the general consensus seems to be use the Rupes blue pad. The boats these were used on were oxidized however, so I'm not sure if this pad is still appropriate for finishing polish work. What pad/pads do you guys recommend for my specific situation.

Next, compound and polish. Have been looking at the Marine 31 products, specifically the all in one compound and polish as well as the finishing polish. Not sure if these are the best for this use case. Stay with Marine 31 or is there something better out there?

Finally, I'm planning on applying a ceramic coating. Is the Marine 31 Ceramic prep spray necessary or the best product to use for this? It seems the ceramic coating industry is interesting, with endless products. Have been looking at the Shine Supply ceramic coating, as well as the several coatings mentioned on the forums. What has everyone had the best luck with? It's a 23 foot boat, so I'm not sure how much coating I need. It seems to vary by product.

Thanks in advance for all the help, I've attached a picture of what my boat is going to look like so you can get an idea of what colors I'm working with.

Polishing gelcoat and preparing for ceramic-118714784_10218219713347559_7521371184389113492_n-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing gelcoat and preparing for ceramic

I am in same boat....you have asked the same questions I have!

A boat is coming to me this fall. Its on a lake and the owner is very very meticulous on keeping it cleaned.

He just wants a clean up and some protection. Should I go ceramic in this case?

So will be following this...

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Nice boat; you must chomping at the bit. I have been surfing all summer off a friends Mastercraft xT 23, what a wave. This senior citizen would love a ride on a Malibu. But getting back to polishing. I am only 2 years into detailing and mainly cars but recently worked on my Cobalt 242 to remove heavy oxidation after 5 years of ignoring it other than keeping it clean and waxing. I had to use 2000 grit followed by 3000 grit wet sand, followed by wool (marine 31 one step compound and polish), then RUPES coarse blue pads with Marine 31 gel coat polish and wax. Then I used gel coat prep spray then coated with M31 coating with uv50 on the port side of the boat as a test and it lasted a good 4 months(compared to starboard side which was only waxed and really fade) Boat goes into winter storage end of Sept, darn. For a new boat, I would start mild by cleaning, followed by gel coat prep spray and using a coating (as mentioned above) and even get a copy of Mike,s boat book for additional info.
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Mike Phillips

Quick answer....

The Captain's Compound is the real-deal, it cuts like a compound and finishes out like a polish. It uses freaking amazing abrasive technology and that's THE most important factor when polishing anything.

It's good enough you can use it on automotive clearcoats.

Marine 31 Captain’s One-Step Compound & Polish

As for a coating - I'd go with the GYEON or 3D coatings. I've taught the GYEON Marine Q2 Gelcoat Coating for the last 2 years in my boat detailing classes and it's worked great. I just used the 3D Ceramic Coating on a gel-coat boat with the assurance from the chemist that makes it that it will in fact work great on gelcoat or polyester resin.

FWIW

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

I was in your boat detailing class a few years ago. That class was awesome. We used the G Techniq ceramic coating at that time. I see that you mentioned the GYEON or 3D coatings. How do these compare to the Marine 31 Captain's Boat Coating with UV50? I used the Marine 31 One Step and I am about ready to prep for a coating. Is the Marine 31 actually ceramic? I just want to use the very best product for maximum protection. thanks, Jeff

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PCDetailer View Post

Mike,

I was in your boat detailing class a few years ago. That class was awesome. We used the G Techniq ceramic coating at that time. I see that you mentioned the GYEON or 3D coatings. How do these compare to the Marine 31 Captain's Boat Coating with UV50? I used the Marine 31 One Step and I am about ready to prep for a coating. Is the Marine 31 actually ceramic? I just want to use the very best product for maximum protection. thanks, Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'm pretty sure we used the GYEON Q2R Marine GelCoat in the last 2 classes I've taught. Andre told me he's testing a new ceramic coating for the Marine 31 line that should be ready to go for my next boat class in March.

Until then - I would go with the GYEON Q2R Marine GelCoat.

Post Thanks / Like

I never had any luck using an orbital on Gelcoat. Especially if it was even remotely hazy or needed more pop. I had to buy a rotary, the purple hybrid wool pad works perfect with any type of compound.

On brand new gelcoat, I’m sure an orbital will be fine. But after a year or two, you’ll probably need a rotary.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, I really appreciate the quick answer. I was in the 2018 class. Jeff

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PCDetailer View Post

Thanks Mike, I really appreciate the quick answer. I was in the 2018 class.

Jeff

This is one of the classes I was actually able to get a lot of the pictures from the class into the "pictures & comments" thread. It's tough to do. A monkey can put a picture on Facebook or Instagram, it actually takes some knowledge and skill to create a pictures thread on a forum. As well as time.

Here's your class....

Pictures: 2018 Boat Detailing Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

Is this you?

That was a VERY hands-on, zero chairs class.

With 2 HORRIBLE condition boats to train on.

Mike Phillips

And for those wondering,

How can I find out MORE information about your classes?

Or

Where should I LOOK to find more information about your classes?

At the top of any forum page you'll see this cheesy picture of me...

CLICK ON IT

Next class and ONLY class for 2021

Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - March 6th & 7th, 2021