autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Self-education resources?

I've dove in and started a detailing business for autos. Boat/watercraft detailing is on my learn to-do list. What/where is a good resource to do some self-education in lieu of not having ever owned a boat etc.? I've done some poking around on the web, but haven't found anything truly engaging. I'm looking for books, DVD, Youtube experts (not a backyard whomever). I know Mike has some videos on Marine 31. My basic understanding at this point is gelcoat is much harder to correct, and a rotary/wool pad combo is a must, if not a Flex 3401 and a wool pad. Thank you in advance for any useful resources.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Mike Phillips

Re: Self-education resources?

Just to chime in...

First - I'm sorry to say, at least at this time, my boat detailing book has been discontinued.

When I wrote it, I did so in a way that it was also the course manual for the boat class I teach. There's a forum member from Canada that recently posted he found a few at a retail store in Canada. Outside of that and the ONLY copy I have for my own collection, I'm not sure where to get one.

It is the most DETAILED book I've ever written.

I purposefully took pictures of the INDEX just to show how much information it includes. You can see those pictures here. I don't think I've ever seen another book with 6 pages of of topics.

Paperback book - How To Detail Boats With Marine 31 by Mike Phillips

Outside of the above book and the classes I teach, I don't know of any other substantial resources.

I've heard there are other boat classes up and coming from other individuals - but until they start teaching some and taking pictures and then sharing pictures - you have know idea what you're going to get to to.

Me?

I know how to work with pictures on the Internet and type - so I document all my work to prove what you get to do in my classes and there's simple no butt time.

Boat Detailing Training - Before & After Pictures - The MOST DOCUMENTED HANDS-ON Boat Detailing Classes - Autogeek - Stuart, Florida

3. Thanks Mike Hoekstra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you still have the files for the printers, you can have these discontinued books turned in to E-books for sale/download.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post

If you still have the files for the printers, you can have these discontinued books turned in to E-books for sale/download.

Needs to be updated before a reprint. Too many new products and even tools have been introduced since the original.

And that my friend comes down to the time factor. Just look at my posting history for today.

Forum is busy. I know exactly what it feels like to,

1. Join a forum.
    2. Create a thread with questions.
    3. Wait..............................

Some forums you have to wait a long time before you get help. Outside of the staycation I took last week and trying real hard not to work on Sunday's, I always do my best to get help to our forum members as fast as I can and as best as I can.

These people also tend to be or to become customers of Autogeek. So what I do is just another version of Customer Care only it's incredibly transparent and as long as Autogeek pays their Web Hosting bill, the information endures over time.

Sometime this week I'll look to see what dates will work for the next boat detailing class. We historically hold this in February.

How far are your from Stuart, Florida?

6. Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I get it. I found a copy from a place in Canada and ordered it. At least that will get me the foundation. I live in the frozen tundra of North Dakota, so I need to plan the trip. But it's all a tax write-off for continuing education for my business, so... I'm really wanting to come to the 3-day class this September and get my Skills Validation test also, but with Covid blowing up down there, I don't know what I'm going to do.